collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who is this pseudo-fakie? EDIT: Bobbie?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Who is this pseudo-fakie? EDIT: Bobbie?
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:29 PM »
I remember reading a while ago a thread here about a yellow pegasus that was only sold in the UK. Like, she was some sort of factory reject, so there were a few of them, but these days they are quite rare (and expensive I'm sure) because they weren't mass produced.

Her name was a human name. Something like... Julie? Shelly? Nancy? I don't think she had a symbol and her hair was red and curly, I think. I also think she was in the Bouncy pose or maybe Firefly... perhaps Lofty? It was a while ago. I remember a poster saying that she thought her childhood one was a fakie because of it not having a symbol and also because it was made from some weird squishy plastic.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or did I just dream this up?  :blink: No one ever seems to mention her often so I'm really intrigued.

[moving to Nirvana ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:16:47 AM by hathorcat »

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Who is this pseudo-fakie?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:35:10 PM »
I think you're talking about one of the Happy Tails UK variants... Bobbie maybe?  Is that it? 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Who is this pseudo-fakie?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:42:18 PM »
Yes! That's it, the pony's name was Bobbie!

I still know next to nothing about her. She was a Happy Tails pony? So she's really not that rare-ish then?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Who is this pseudo-fakie? EDIT: Bobbie?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:05:02 AM »
I'm not sure if she's rare or not, but as for her origins . . . she is manufactured by Hasbro, under the MLP label, so technically she is a "real" MLP.  But she and her fellows are still oddities.  From what I've heard, they were released pretty much at the very end of the MLP line in the UK, in plastic baggies with the MLP logo on a piece of cardboard across the top of the bag. (Like how little bags of jelly beans are sometimes sold, you know?)

The theory is that Hasbro was trying to use up leftover materials.

Bobbie in particular is yellow with blue hair (like Tall Tails the Happy Tails pony), but does not have the mechanism that makes her tail spin.  But she is squishy like a Happy Tails pony.  Also, no symbol.  The name "Bobbie" was given to the pony by a UKer, can't remember who now, who got the name off the backcard story of the UK Sweet Kisses ponies.

UK Sweet Kisses pony story:

Kiss 'n Tell, Candy Kisses and Kiss 'n Make-up laughed happily as they prepared for the Pony Valentine Party. It was going to be a very special occasion so they were all putting on their pretty pink lipsticks.
"Who do you want to dance with tonight?" Candy Kisses asked Kiss 'n Tell.
"I've sent Bobby a love-letter sealed with a sweet kiss!" said Kiss 'n Tell, "So I hope he will dance with me!"
"Bobby asked me to send you a kiss from him!" chuckled Kiss 'n Make-up. She swished her sparkling mane and blew a sweet kiss through the air.
"Now, we are all ready for the dance" said Candy Kisses. "Our colourful lipstick will be the hit of the evening."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:08:10 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:19:31 AM »
Hmm, interesting!  I assume the Sweet Kisses story wasn't printed on Bobbie's packaging, though?  The seller just took the name from separate packaging?  (Though it's all so mixed-up, I guess I wouldn't be surprised.)

Were the Princess and Flutter oddballs sold at the same time, at the end of the MLP run?
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 02:05:24 AM »
Bobbie isn't rare, just quite popular which brings her abit more expensive then say the other unpopular happy tail variants. I ve not seen a bobbie with red hair though!

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 05:36:30 AM »
Aaah, Bobby! It was Taffeta that named her that, though she has since forgotten the reason behind it (she does say the story about the backcard is highly likely though and sounds like the sort of thing she would do). It definitely isn't on Bobby's packaging and is just a nickname as she has no official one ;) Reaperfox had one as a child, and recalls getting it in a cheapy store, where there were boxes piled up. A Bobby MIB has been found, and is in a Princess box. Although some end of line ponies were sold in bags with cardboard across the top, they were also sold in leftover boxes, which lends credit to the theory it was just whatever was left over. In my experience, typically the ones in bags were mail orders (CP ponies, Tux) or ponies from the party gift packs (eg. Pink Dreams) that were just leftover. The ones found in boxes seem to be the put together ponies, but couldn't rule out them being sold in bags as well.

Bobby has several different versions - both blue and pink hair (that sometimes fades to white), and symbol or no symbol. She is one of the more common put together ponies (well, pink hair, no symbol is), however because she is one of the more well-known ones, she does go for a bit more than some of the others.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »
Oh wow, this is a fascinating discussion! Who would have thought that my late night mental ramblings would turn out to be info on an actual, legitimate pony. :lmao: Don't know where I got the red hair idea (I might have been combining her with Rosette), but I knew that her name was something that ended in an "ee" sound.

Kellyponyfeathers brings up the "Princess and flutter oddballs," and admittedly, I'm not familiar with those either? I'm really interested in this now. The "leftover" ponies were a common thing then? Would this have been the US too, or just Europe?

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »
Not even just Europe - they appear to be limited to just the UK ;) It looks like what happened was Hasbro UK bought up the leftover parts of ponies - ones that weren't finished, or had defects (like missing happy tails), things like that, put the bits together as best they could (some of the princess ones have some REALLY bad headbody mismatches) and sold them for cheap. There aren't many of the Flutter ones around - mostly it's Happy Tails or Princess oddities.... sometimes combined together!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »
*gins* didn't someone else come up with the name Syntax Error for her?
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
This is really interesting... So are the Princess oddities the ones with the clear medallions and thin tails?

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 11:17:21 AM »
Oh my this is getting more and more thrilling. :lmao: Anybody got photos of the flutter oddballs? (edit: found some in the Nirvana Gallery)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:25:46 AM by mul-ta »

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
*gins* didn't someone else come up with the name Syntax Error for her?

That was Reaperfox's name for her, also dating from the 90s I think. Hex is what she called the Squeezer variants, and I am positive there was a third one, but I can't for the life of me remember it!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
the other name for bobbie was syntax error ;)

This is really interesting... So are the Princess oddities the ones with the clear medallions and thin tails?

yes :) they don't all have clear medallions, some have the wrong central jewel or even the whole wrong medallion!

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
http://shel-tponies.com/PPCATALOG/PPCatMain.html

surprised Shelti hasn't posted yet so I'll help = this was so great she put together about the princess put-togethers :-)

enjoy the eye candy :-)

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal