collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Restoring a vintage Swirl Ponytail Barbie  (Read 3946 times)

Offline fizzy_pop

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Shoo be doo, shoo shoo bee doo!
    • View Profile
Restoring a vintage Swirl Ponytail Barbie
« on: March 30, 2013, 05:48:24 AM »
Hiya!
At the op shop/thrift shop today i found a Swirl Ponytail barbie for $1! So super happy as ive been searching for a vintage, eyes to the side barbie for ages! :D
Im sure she's not a repro as she has the Midge/Barbie butt cheek print, and she would be a later version as it has patented on the bottom, so is she 1965?
She also has Japan on the bottom of her right foot.
I have done my best to identify her (i am new to the barbie collecting world), and as far as i can tell she is either the ash blonde or the euro platinum release. I am in Australia and think she may be the euro release, she has lighter eyebrows and her hair seems lighter than in a lot of the photos ive seen of the ash blonde. Her coral lips have faded to a light yellowy colour.
I just found out about green ear, and luckily my doll doesnt have any of that! The flaws she does have are scuffed eyelash/eyeshadow paint, faded lips, a few pin pricks on the right side of her face (almost unnoticeable from the front), hair that is a little frizzy but still soft and is loose, and not sure if this is a flaw or if its a factory thing but her bust/torso is lighter in colour than her head and appendages.
I plan on restoring her for my personal collection of toys, and i was hoping someone might be able to give me advice on how to go about it? It would be very much appreciated, and of course i will take photos and keep everyone updated as i go!
I would like to also find her swimsuit and shoes, repro for those doesnt matter too much to me. :)
I pretty much want to get her as 'new out of the box' looking as i can, because she will be beautiful!  ^.^

Oh, also, if anyone has any idea as to what she might be worth?
I dont plan on selling her, but its always nice to know you got a bargain! I know the feeling of finding a G1 for $1 is the best!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:51:24 AM by fizzy_pop »
:lovey:

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring a vintage Swirl Ponytail Barbie
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:18:17 PM »
Need to see a photo of this doll.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline fizzy_pop

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:47:14 PM »
Ill hopefully get some photos up today!  :)

Edit:
Added some photos to my flickr.  :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fizzy_pop/sets/72157633125892049/

Can anyone tell me what the imprinted numbers on her head and underarms, and the number on her butt cheek mean? :3
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:50:32 PM by fizzy_pop »

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »
Congrats on your find! She looks like a lemon swirl with faded buttercream lips. I can't say for certain on the euro thing. They only way I know of on telling the difference is if the doll is still in the packaging and is wearing the Fashion Queen swimsuit not her original red one. Her face and coral lips are very similar to ones I see all the time in the US.

The numbers imprinted on her arms, buttock, etc are just mold numbers.

You did well at only $1. She is easily worth $50+ Keep in mind that crazy collectors like myself will only buy retouched (paint) dolls that have been colorwashed so they can go back to original. ;)

Offline fizzy_pop

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 03:57:57 AM »
Thankyou! :)
Oh okay, it doesnt matter all too much to me, i was super happy to find her!  :biggrin:

Cool, thats interesting to know!

Oh wow, it makes me really happy to know i have a great find! :D
What is colourwashing? This is the kind of thing i was hoping to find out about! I didnt wanna just go gung-ho on her face. xD
Also, any tips on taming the hair frizz? Its still really soft, like amazingly soft! Just really frizzy and not shiny and nice like mint dolls have, will i ever be able to get her hair shine back?  ^.^

Thankyou so much for the help! <3

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
Restoring a vintage Swirl Ponytail Barbie
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:04:49 PM »
WOW!!! That is a dream like great find, congrats!

Offline fizzy_pop

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »
Hehe, thankyou! :)

Im hoping i can get her back to her best!

Offline Claramel

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://padawanclaramel.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 12:37:09 AM »
Wow, you're lucky! I very lightly touched up my brunette swirl's eyelashes with the tiniest amount of acrylic paint. It can always be removed later as long as you don't put it on too thick! I also reset the hair for my girl. I lightly washed it with a tiny bit of non-scented shampoo, combed it and styled it - she ended up looking almost factory. My swirls ranged between AUD$70 - $110 when I bought them and they all had issues (green ear or missing paint....unset hair etc.).

Offline fizzy_pop

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
Neat, thank you for the advice! :D
When you reset the hair, did you just go by eye from pictures? Im thinking i might have a bit of trouble with that...

I have to say, im so glad mine doesnt have green ear! That looks kinda horrible. :shocked:

Offline Claramel

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://padawanclaramel.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 03:06:46 AM »
Neat, thank you for the advice! :D
When you reset the hair, did you just go by eye from pictures? Im thinking i might have a bit of trouble with that...

I have to say, im so glad mine doesnt have green ear! That looks kinda horrible. :shocked:

Yes, green ear is a pain. You can treat it but you have to be very careful, not all the suggested treaments work how you want them too. I think I may have seen a tutorial on how to reset the hair...I'll see if I can find it for you :)

edit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxybelle/8573201300/
this link was helpful but I didn't use any hair products other than shampoo in her hair. I also used a piece of hair from under her pontail to wrap around as the 'swirl' hair at the front of her head wasn't long enough to wrap around her ponytail and still have a bit of length.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:12:00 AM by Claramel »

Offline fizzy_pop

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 01:03:13 AM »

Yes, green ear is a pain. You can treat it but you have to be very careful, not all the suggested treaments work how you want them too. I think I may have seen a tutorial on how to reset the hair...I'll see if I can find it for you :)

edit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxybelle/8573201300/
this link was helpful but I didn't use any hair products other than shampoo in her hair. I also used a piece of hair from under her pontail to wrap around as the 'swirl' hair at the front of her head wasn't long enough to wrap around her ponytail and still have a bit of length.

Ahh, thank you so much! That tutorial looks amazing! I will be sure to post pics when i get around to fixing her up!  :biggrin:

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:07:57 AM »
I can't wait to see how you go with her!!!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 05:34:53 AM »
If you are going to replace her earrings make sure they are plastic and don't have metal.  That's what causes green ear.

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal