collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Crimping  (Read 314 times)

Offline SALTY5621

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Tastes good in your mouth
    • View Profile
Crimping
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:13:35 AM »
ive already asked this in my other thread but i feel it deserves its own.

is there any way to crimp a ponies hair without a crimper or rehairing with yarn?

Offline SilkSpun

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • *wiggles*
    • View Profile
Re: Crimping
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:06:05 AM »
I guess if you wanted to get extra creative without spending much money at all, you could get a disposable cake/oven pan (the kind that's not too flimsy, but still much more rigid than tin foil), then cut out two long rectangles. Be careful to not cut yourself, the edges will be sharp! You might want to wear work gloves for this. Carefully fold each rectangle accordion-style into a corrugated zigzag, so they can stack on top of each other (picture the plates on a crimper!). Then take your pony, get its hair wet and brush it out flat, smush it between the makeshift crimper plates and bind them together with a rubber band or two. Then just like you're boil perming, dunk the hair in some boiling water, then set it in cold. Let it dry, then remove the plates. I'd imagine that would work, but this is just me theorizing! :lol:

Otherwise for something similar (and much easier), you can tightly braid hair then boil-perm it, but that's more like waves than crimping.
Formerly SilkSpindle!

Offline SALTY5621

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:22:40 AM »
I guess if you wanted to get extra creative without spending much money at all, you could get a disposable cake/oven pan (the kind that's not too flimsy, but still much more rigid than tin foil), then cut out two long rectangles. Be careful to not cut yourself, the edges will be sharp! You might want to wear work gloves for this. Carefully fold each rectangle accordion-style into a corrugated zigzag, so they can stack on top of each other (picture the plates on a crimper!). Then take your pony, get its hair wet and brush it out flat, smush it between the makeshift crimper plates and bind them together with a rubber band or two. Then just like you're boil perming, dunk the hair in some boiling water, then set it in cold. Let it dry, then remove the plates. I'd imagine that would work, but this is just me theorizing! :lol:

Otherwise for something similar (and much easier), you can tightly braid hair then boil-perm it, but that's more like waves than crimping.

that sounds like it would work. and be much less damaging than a real crimper. thanks

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:12:10 AM »
It also depends on how precisely crimpy you want it. If you just braid the hair and get it wet for a while when you take it out it will have that off crimp-ish look.

I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:28:44 AM »
I used small braids and hot water to restore the hair on one of the sundazzle ponies. While the result is not as exact as the original crimp, the final product really did look very very close to the original
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 06:32:36 AM by NoDivision »

Offline SALTY5621

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:33:21 AM »
I used small braids and hot water to restore the hair on one of the sundazzle ponies. While the result is not as exact as the original crimp, the final product really did look very very close to the original

ill give it a try first. see if it works

Offline RedLynx

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 06:43:48 AM »
Same here.  I braid the hair then dip it in almost boiling water.  Then I leave it to dry.  Biggest issue...getting the crimp to end of the hair.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 06:57:14 AM »
Same here.  I braid the hair then dip it in almost boiling water.  Then I leave it to dry.  Biggest issue...getting the crimp to end of the hair.
Yeah, the ends are an issue. It works out fine on customs because you can trim the ends off, but it's harder on hasbro ponies.

You'll also want to make sure you get your braids as close to identical in size as possible for a more uniform look. And when you take the braids out, gently separate with your fingers, don't brush.

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »
i would think the easiest way to get uniform braides would be to seperate the plugs and do 3 plugs each. takes more patience but might give good results.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal