collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The appeal of armies?  (Read 3188 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
The appeal of armies?
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:50:44 PM »
So I know this has been discussed a few times, but I'd really like to drudge up this old topic just one more time since I'd like to get your guys' thoughts from those of you who collect armies? I never really 'got' armies, though of course I don't belittle anyone who has one, we all collect differently of course :) But more and more lately, I find myself wanting to buy every single G3 baby I happen to come across, even if I already have her! I don't know why, I'll stop and remind myself I already HAVE one and don't need doubles, but it got me to thinking about armies.

So I'd like to hear your thoughts on them. What, to you, is the appeal of owning an army? Or is your army made up of different poses and variations so you don't actually have the same pony over and over again? I don't want to start buying up all these babies only to later feel like I've wasted my money, but at the same time, something about those G3 babies...they all tug at my heartstrings in the best possible way! I feel so sad leaving one behind! If I knew how to do customs I'd use my extras to make customs from my other favorite ponies >_<

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: The appeal of armies?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
I never buy two of the exact same releases, but since Hasbro has been reusing the mane 6 so much and I like to buy variables and playsets, I have armies anyway. I think I have 14 Pinkie Pies in the brushable size.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:00:38 PM »
I never really had any desire for an army at first, but my Sundance obsession just kept growing! At first I wanted all the G1 versions, then it was all the versions, and now I can't turn down a Sundance.

My only thing is that every one *must* be different somehow. Missing a tail, different hair cuts, wearing different pony clothes/accessories, different levels of baity, etc. I still don't get armies where every pony is completely identical and you can't tell them apart.

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:33:05 PM »
I never understood armies at first. I now have three armies. In my mind every pony although meant to be the same is always a little different. I consider my army ponies to all have different personalities.

I won't just go out and buy every single one, I joined the army swap and if there's a lonely pony of my army for sale and I'm already buying something from that person. Then I will buy them.

My armies are:
Bowtie
Baby Cotton Candy
Flutter ponies

:lovey: I love them.
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Glitzy Gems

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:36:17 PM »
I've ended up with accidental armies of all the Mane Six sans Rainbow Dash (and that's changing quickly), and I can't say I mind it! I collect the different variations/gens of the pony and even the subtle ones are nice v v

My biggest "army" goals are, at the moment:

>Collect all Applejacks/apple ponies. I need all the apple pone!
>An army of Super Long Hair G3s. Can't get enough! Duplicates totally welcome~
>Adding to my Mane Six and Princess Armies

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »
I didn't understand them either; I even thought it was silly to have a bunch of the exact same pony. Then I started getting a couple duplicates through trading (just to even up the values - I think I might have planned to trade them on? Maybe?) and realized that I wanted to keep them. I just enjoy having more than one of a pony I really like. And it is fun to style them differently. =) More recently I am trying to only buy 'army' ponies that are not in great condition - those that would be considered bait by others. And this mostly just applies to G1.

I do have two G3 armies - Cherry Blossom (3rd pose) and Princess Peppermint. I just kind of kept finding them second hand and I love them so much that I couldn't leave them behind. I am not adding to these armies by buying/trading online - only if I find them locally...I say that now

I also have a small, unintentional army of G2 Petal Blossom, and an even smaller one of Berry Bright. I REALLY don't want to start doing G2 armies but I don't currently plan to rehome my duplicates either. so..

But yeah. I still understand not liking armies, lol.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Marionette

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 01:28:15 AM »
I don't have any armies yet, but I do have two Moonstones. I would like to have a small Moonstone army someday with a couple of minty ones and the rest not-so-minty (I don't wanna take all the really good ones away from everybody else!). Like most of you, it wasn't something I necessarily planned when I first started collecting.

What happened was, the moment I saw a picture Moonstone, I HAD to have her. I searched everywhere for a Moonstone in really excellent condition, but I just couldn't find one. I settled on one that was just okay (some rub, some small marks, etc.). Then I saw one that was a fair bit better, so I bought her too. I'd considered buying some cheap baits just to have one previously... and that seemed like a better and better idea. I got tempted to buy every Moonstone bait I saw.

I'm still not sure I can explain the appeal for me, but I guess when you really love a pony's design, you can keep wanting it even if you already have one. I suddenly feel like Konata from episode 3 of Lucky Star...

Konata: In my case, I need at least three cards. One to keep for eternity, and I safely stow it away in a special case just for it. And one to pull out and look at every so often.
Kagami: What about the third one?
Konata: To spread the gospel.
Kagami: What's with that?
Konata: When you really want something, don't you want to have two or three of them, Kagami?
Kagami: *confused face*
Konata: Yeah, yeah, you don't. Fine, I'm an otaku. I'm strange.

So the answer is... we're pony otaku. :P

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 01:32:21 AM »
Not everything makes sense - I guess armies don't have a sense  :P
And they don't have an appeal for me as long it is a variant army.

So I have & collect variant armies - I guess that's not the same so I can't compare it and I can't explain the appeal / sense  =)
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Moonracer

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 02:06:08 AM »
I personally don't understand the whole appeal and purpose of owning an army. I can understand collecting variants of a given pony, but to have several figures of the same pony all of which are the exact same release? Eh... whatever floats your boat I guess. :P

So long as you're not collecting an army of Mimics, Rapunzles and Sweet Scoops, I'm rather okay with this. ;)

nollilols

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 02:16:27 AM »
Man imagine if someone somewhere had the world's biggest army of ponies - and they were all Mimic. And that's why there's none left for the rest of us.

Anyway, I don't have armies - but I am into collecting variations - I think collecting as many variations as possible of a favourite character/design makes sense. I want a variety of Pinkie Pies, and I also want a variety of Starshines, Skydancers, Gustys and Tales Ponies. (I currently have standard Melody, Rollerskate Melody, and Hair Do Starlight - I need regular Starlight.)

I also love Italy ponies, so I'm trying to collect those variations.

Offline Naraya

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • You can never have too many Sundae Best ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 02:58:48 AM »
I have 3 armies: the Sundae Bests, Bowtie and Pinkie Pie.

I always wanted the Sundae Bests as a child, but never got one. I guess that's why I have this army now. ;) Bowtie was my very first pony, I still have her and she reminds me of the time I got her. :) That's the reason for my second army. And Pinkie Pie? Well, you can never have enough Pinkie Pies, can you?

I mostly collect variations, but I simply can't say no to a pony in good condition that I already own.
My wishlist

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 03:05:24 AM »
Do not understand armies of the exact same pony and have no desire to have one but... I just can't bring myself to sell any Hippity Hop who comes my way.  I have 4; two flocked, one deflocked  and one MOC.  I don't want to end up with an army and I won't go looking for more, but if any more come my way I'm not sure I'd be able to sell them!

Offline tinrobo

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • clockwork robo pony *click* *whirr*
    • View Profile
    • Tinrobo's Etsy Shop
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 03:10:39 AM »
For me, I know I will never have every pony ever made (I don't have room, money and it just doesn't really appeal to me) so having an army gives me an achievable goal and a way to organise my collecting. I'm much more likely to be able to collect every Fluttershy release than I am to collect the entire G4 line.

I don't purposefully buy ponies who are exactly the same as ones I already own but if I get them, I'm happy to add them to the army because it's a pony I love! :)

nollilols

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 03:40:58 AM »
Variations are great though. I don't think collecting variations is anything like having an army of the exact same pose over and over. I need a So Soft Gusty, a UK NSS, a standard US one, I have my Italian one, I plan to make a reverse one, and in time I'd like to reacquire a NBBE Baby one. Plus, obviously, any other Nirvanas I can get my hands on, but they're expensive and therefore secondary.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 04:31:08 AM »
I don't really collect doubles except in the case of Sugarberry and Goldilocks. They are two of my favorites and I ended up with several because of variations in the hair. I have a Goldi with soft curls and one in a braid. My three Sugarberrys each have different curls. One is factory, one is straw curled and the other is straight.  Plus I have a MOC and a custom g4 of her. But if they looked exactly the same I probably wouldn't buy her.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal