collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Engagement ring - wedding ring question!  (Read 1569 times)

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Engagement ring - wedding ring question!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »
And I forgot to mention we exchanged rings after our ceremony.  In our ceremony rings didn't have a part nor came into play in it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »
All this is so interesting. I'm getting lots of good ideas already. Keep those stories coming. And pictures are appreciated as well, of course!  :lovey:

Offline Sea_Breeze

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »
Mine are seperate rings too, they don't interlock & the engagement ring is top heavy but I have really skinny fingers & wider joints so the rings JUST fit over my finger joint but then spin on my finger as its narrower than the joint. Like others I wear my wedding ring closest to my heart & the engagement ring sits on the other side. My wedding ring is pretty plain as not to detract attention from the engagement ring.
Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears - anonymous

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »
Very interesting reading all your stories!

We're getting married in June, and I plan to wear my engagement ring on my right hand, have my wedding band placed on my left during the ceremony and then popping the engagement ring on top of the wedding band before the photos :)

My engagement ring is a strange shape, and quite intricate, so my wedding band is slightly curved and set with diamonds to show it off. Can't show pics yet I'm afraid!
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

flutterwry

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »
It's funny to see how different these customs are around the world!
Over here, there's usually more emphasis on the wedding ring. Some people don't even have engagement rings - and if they do, both partners wear one on their left ring finger. Thus they're no sophisticated diamond and filigree arrangements, but mostly kept unisex and simple and cheaper than the wedding rings.
Now and then the engagement ring will live on as a wedding band: it just switches its position. Yep, the wedding rings are worn on the right hand over here. Maybe because it's the RIGHT hand? I don't know. Some people then take off their engagement ring, some keep it. I have and wear both: the engagement ring is a rhodinized band from white gold with a burnish-set princess cut ruby. The wedding band was designed by myself and realized by a local goldsmith. It's made from unrhodinized white gold with little apricot golden blocks damascened around the rim. They're morse code: . .-- .. --. . and .-.. .. . -... . and only visible in the right light, so they're something only someone really attentive will discover...

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
I wear both of mine as well, wedding band first so it's closest to my heart (as tradition). My engagement and wedding rings kind of compliment each other, but they were not bought as a set or anything. We just got lucky finding a wedding band that kind of fit around the engagement ring:

Most of my married friends bought their rings as a set and wear both together. ^-^

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
I've worked in jewelry for many years:).  Many people chose to have their engagement ring and wedding band soldered together just because its safer for your rings; less metal on metal rubbing together.  It's not permanent and lots of people like how it looks because your rings are always facing the same direction.

I got my wedding band first and had intended it to be my only ring.  It's a wider band with 2 rows of diamonds.  Then last year, my hubs surprised me with an amazing diamond engagement ring!!  They're not a set, but I think they look nice together.

Please forgive my terrible picture taking and my nasty dry skin:(.  They look better in person.

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 06:17:06 PM »
I used to wear both but since we had them resized, the stone in the engagement ring fell out. Got it reset and it fell out again. That was the end of wearing that one. Then a few months into the marriage one of the stones fell out of the wedding band too! And that one got lost. :sad: Stupid lousey resizers! so now they both sit happily in my jewelry box and I have a new plain white gold band that matches hubby's instead and that's what I wear.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Lygeia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Ebay Sales
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »
I took my engagement ring to the jewelry store and tried on bands until I found one that looked great underneath it; think of it as playing dress up with your e ring :)

During my ceremony I had my e ring on my left hand but my husband knew to remove it, place the wedding ring on, then put the e ring back on top. 

From the wedding forum boards I read (usually Weddingbee, which has a great board for ring questions and brags), it seems that the right hand ring is extremely popular.  If your e ring was impossible to match, for example, you could get a new wedding set and use the engagement ring as a right hand ring.  The possibilities are endless and anything goes...all that matters is that you are happy and enjoy your ring(s) and special day!
Love Birds Trinkets and Treasures on Ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/lovebirdstrinketsandtreasures :lovey:

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »
I've worked in jewelry for many years:).  Many people chose to have their engagement ring and wedding band soldered together just because its safer for your rings; less metal on metal rubbing together.  It's not permanent and lots of people like how it looks because your rings are always facing the same direction.

Oh!! That sounds like a great idea! Do you normally have to send the rings out to be soldered? I'm assuming they can't do that right at the jewelry store? I really want to do that now. ^-^ (And btw, that's some serious bling you got there!! ;) )

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »
On my mom's side of the family it is tradition to get matching sets with engagement rings, wedding bands and one-year anniversary bands that nestle and can be fused.  My mom and my aunts all have ring like that even though they are all completely different in style.  I liked that idea and wanted to continue it. 

My engagement ring is a marquise solitaire.  I picked out a wedding band that wasn't made for it but was a diamond enhancer so it fits nestled against my solitaire and my husband got another one for our first anniversary as my anniversary band.  So, my rings are nestled and soldered together.  I didn't want to stop wearing my engagement ring because I always thought it was silly to spend so much on a diamond engagement ring just to abandon it for a plain metal ring.  For the wedding ceremony, I did only wear the wedding band without the engagement ring since they were not yet soldered together and I didn't want it to take away the importance of the wedding band. 

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »
I dislike rings in general so I only have an engagement ring and no other wedding band. It is small and ornate. When my hubby proposed I wore it, then the day we got married I took it off and gave it to him to use during the ceremony and give back to me so it would be both my engagement and wedding band sort of. People get the message that I am married...although that could also be the bouncing babies I cart everywhere with me.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 02:04:18 AM »
My hubby got me a three-row diamond and onyx ring that was a funky wavy shape for our engagement,  and even if I'd had a ring made to match it, it wouldn't have sat very nicely on my finger, I wouldn't be able to bend my knuckle - hubby just went 'oooh, pretty' and didn't really think that through! So I wear that on the other hand, and we bought a bridal set for the wedding, so that I have a matching engagement/wedding band as well as the sentimental band. Hubby's band is a cross between the two, my original and new rings, but more masculine and minimalist, of course!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 07:58:37 AM »
My bands are "together." I have such small fingers that having 2 rings on one finger even if they're really thin just isn't comfortable, there are times I just want to take it off. There's the middle diamond then 2 oval ones to the sides on the opposing sides teeny tiny ones... The ring sticks up, I get it caught on stuff all the time, but is very pretty...
Tilt your head to the left and squint a little?

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
I got 2 different rings: one from my grandma ( her wedding ring) and the other ring from my other grandma ( her engagment ring) The rings are over 50 years old but stunning and they look like they match which is weird because one came from wisconsin and one from flordia.. But other than that nobody can tell they are not a set. Once you are married its up to you what you want. After i was married I took my two rings to jewlery store and got them put together as one. You can talk to a jewlery store and explore your options. my husband cant wear his wedding ring at work so he tattooed it to his finger. Bottom line however you do it its yours and it should express you and your new life as a married couple, Example my wedding band has 3 diamonds and that represents my family, me, my daughter, my hubby. But no matter what you choose good luck and enjoy every mintue, lifes too short to worry about the small stuff.
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal