collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 head plugs that cave in  (Read 416 times)

Offline Cucco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
G4 head plugs that cave in
« on: March 19, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
I've been working on a mailpony custom for the past few months and I've been stuck because every time I glue the plug back in the body, wait for it to dry, then try to put the head on, the plug caves back into the body!!
I've even tried regluing, and reinforcing it with more glue
but every time I try to put the head back on the pony, the back of the plug tries to take a dive into the body and almost gets stuck.
any advice on getting that sucker to stay? A certain glue? I've been using fabri-tac.
The G1 color-change hair set is my grail. Currently own: Mainsail, Seaflower, Shoreline

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: G4 head plugs that cave in
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
I don't understand what you're saying. You said the plug caves into the body, but it's supposed to be inside so do you mean the whole length of hair goes in? Are you heating the neck plug to make it softer? G4's are so small that perhaps while heating the neck to put it back on the glue is getting heated and coming undone.

I'm not the best authority on G4 customizing though, so hopefully someone can help you better :)

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:28:40 PM »
Try Krazy Glue. Fabri-Tac is good for gluing hair in place, but it's not strong enough to withstand that kind of pressure. Also, try widening the hole in the pony's head with a pencil, to make it easier to get the plug back in. I used to have the exact same problems with neck plugs, but I tried that recently and it worked very well!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:30:31 PM by PandaBerryInSpace »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »
Put it into the pony's head first, then glue the whole thing onto the body? Upside-down with props?

Just throwing in something different ;)

Think I did Masquerade's with superglue :x

CarnationTwirl

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:12:14 PM »
This is what works for me:
Superglue/cyanoacrylate adhesive.
Okay so what you do is force the plug in, past the point you want it to be.  Run a thin bead of superglue (I use a cheap dollar store brand, it's all more or less the same) then use hemostats or pliers to gently pull it up into the position you want it to be in.  Sometimes I count to three or ten first, just to give the glue a chance to get grippy.
Oh, and when cutting out the plug, don't remove the all of the residual plastic, that needs to be there to help anchor the plug back into place.  Yeah trim it down if you're having issues putting it back, but don't remove it totally.
Then let it be for at least a day before trying to put the head back on the post.  Heat the head with a hairdryer first to make it soft and pliable.

Offline Ren-Ren

• Trade Count: (+237)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://renren-1.livejournal.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
Yes, I second the hairdryer suggestion. It works wonders with getting the plug back into the head.

Usually I don't bother actually gluing the plug back into the body; mine usually sit snug enough in the body without having to do so, and I like having easy to my pony's insides in  case I need to do some repairs.
Thanks to Calico Star for my siggy! <3 (deleted cause photobucket)
*** My Sales Page*** My Little Pink Pony Loves MMA***

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
I always put the plug back in the head first, then glue it into the body. That way you get the best position of the head without annoying gaps and you don't have to worry about it caving it.

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
I always put the plug back in the head first, then glue it into the body. That way you get the best position of the head without annoying gaps and you don't have to worry about it caving it.

Yup.  Exactly what I do.  Most times I mark my plugs so that I can get it back into its original position as well.

alltheApples

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »
 Two steps I use -- Krazy glue to reglue the plug, and widening the hole in the head with an exacto knife. Just go around it a little in a circle, not cutting to deep so it's just easier to put back -- not wobbly.

Hope that helps!

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 05:28:44 PM »

Yup.  Exactly what I do.  Most times I mark my plugs so that I can get it back into its original position as well.
exactly what i was going to say! works great for me :)

Offline Ren-Ren

• Trade Count: (+237)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://renren-1.livejournal.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »
Whoops, yes. Putting the plug into the head before trying to attach it to the body is so ingrained in me that I didn't even think to mention it in my post above, heh heh.
Thanks to Calico Star for my siggy! <3 (deleted cause photobucket)
*** My Sales Page*** My Little Pink Pony Loves MMA***

keikokukien

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »
With G4s, it's super hard to get the neck plugs to cooperate at all. My methods have a 50-50 chance of being permanently in place or able to turn the heads like normal because of this same problem. XD; What I've found that works is probably harder than it should be, so hopefully someone else has something not so...Macgyver....

After I finish rehairing and start prepping the pony for reassembly, I get boiling water and stick the neck plug itself in the hot water. I also have a torn up old pen that is just the right size to skewer the pony head on and enlarge the hole the plug goes in. I put that gutted pen in the hot water as well to heat up the metal. Wait a few minutes and then skewer the pony head slowwwwwwly, stretching the hole until I can't fit the pen in anymore or feel that the hole is stretched enough. Leave that sit for about half an hour. Keep taking the neck plug out of the water and putting it in new boiling water (these plugs are the bane of my customizing existence sometimes. U_U; ) After thirty minutes or so, quickly remove the pen and wedge in the plug. It usually fits without any problems and the hole is actually too large. Don't worry because the plastic will close around it after some time and the plug will be in the head. After that, just apply a generous helping of glue to the inside of the pony body's neck and slide it into place. I sometimes let the glue sit for a minute and slowly and gently twist the head to test and see if the glue is going to make the head immobile. Most of the time, I get full movement of the head like I never even took her head off.  :what: Still not sure if there's an easier way....so I'm going to stalk this thread. XD;

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:15:36 PM »
I'm another who puts the plug back in the head first. Much easier that way I think.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »
OH my goodness do I feel dumb now! The actual neck plug, not hair plugs! *takes notes from the pros*

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »
I know I am echoing here but you really do need something quick drying.  I use superglue myself.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal