collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion 16  (Read 40836 times)

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Discussion 16
« Reply #780 on: April 06, 2013, 01:59:54 AM »
I haven't read any of the diaries yet. I just haven't gotten around to it I guess. So Jinafire and Skelita are being promoted heavily? How does this show? Other than the webisodes I mean? Could it be that we will get more of them at some point?

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 06, 2013, 08:49:50 AM »
I haven't read any of the diaries yet. I just haven't gotten around to it I guess. So Jinafire and Skelita are being promoted heavily? How does this show? Other than the webisodes I mean? Could it be that we will get more of them at some point?

Last year's SDCC had a MH panel; their designers spoke in detail about their creation, and cultural inspirations. Both characters have recently had a webisode introducing them to the school them, and both of them have made an appearance in the latest book. There's also the MH Tumblr (The Gory Gazette), which has done "features" on them.

All of these lead me to believe that Mattel and the MH design team mean for them to be focus characters. With Cupid, everything about her was more of an afterthought; I've heard from a reliable source that she wasn't even meant to be a doll when she was conceived for the "Fright On" special. But the designers really liked her and jumped at the opportunity to release her as an exclusive. The fact that she's the only non-werecat to share a headmold with another character (Ghoulia) and that originally her monster heritage was vague (they've since expanded on it, showing that she is not biologically the daughter of Eros, she's a bone elemental he adopted) strengthens my opinion that she wasn't meant to be a regular character.

Obviously, I don't know whether we'll get more dolls of them, but they have had a lot of focus, and they chose designers for them who shared their heritage. Even if they weren't originally intended to become regular additions (and I believe they were), they've had a wide enough appeal to both adults and kids for Mattel to release more versions of them :)

Offline Nana-Rena

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 06, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »
Crimsondeity: Ooh, thank you so much for the info! This makes me hope more and more that they release another Jinafire.

I love dragons and especially Chinese dragons, everything is better with a mustache, I say! And for me everything just clicks the right way in Jina's design, all the small details that are very Chinese and I find her super chic.

So Cupid was turned into a doll as an after thought, I can understand whuy, she has a cool design and all, but she is not very monster-y.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 06, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »
That sounds indeed promising, Crimson!
I'd love to see them get more spotlight and more releases. Not only because I think their designs are beautiful, but also because they (Mattel) really need to focus more on characters that aren't coded white.
Sure, we have Cleo and Clawdeen (and maybe Robecca?), but there need to be more :)

I've always adored the many different werewolves and vampires in the background of the webisodes. They really should think about releasing a variation of the CAM pack with a black vampire. I'd buy the heck out of that! (Vamp CAM just looked way too much like Draculaura, but Wolfy CAM was light grey?)

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #784 on: April 06, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »
When GNO comes out, I will totally be getting all of them, but does anyone want to trade Spectra hands? I don't think I'm going to be loving those gloves, and if anyone wants to trade for a "regular" set of Spectra hands, I would love that :)

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 06, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »
Jinafire is my favorite monster, and I'd love to see her released again in the future.  To me, she's the most 'monster-like' doll they've released. 

Does anyone know when the other 2 Powerghouls are going to be released??
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline Sprinkles

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 06, 2013, 01:13:56 PM »
For anyone interested, I noticed today at work that all of the MH stationary and such are now on clearance at Michael's. A lot of it was marked down to 49 cents :)
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 06, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »
I ordered the Harpy cam set off of ebay (have not seen it around here at all) and on the delivery confirmation, it said this morning that it was out for delivery but the mailperson never left it...it's still showing out for delivery.  This happened once before a few months ago and I never did get my package then.  I'm really hoping it shows up on Monday.  If not...argh.  That thing was not cheap.

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 06, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »
For anyone interested, I noticed today at work that all of the MH stationary and such are now on clearance at Michael's. A lot of it was marked down to 49 cents :)
I noticed that too! :P I'll be going back some time this weekend to pick some up. XD

Sadly, the photocards WEREN'T one of the items on clearance. >,>;
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

animal_lover

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #789 on: April 06, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »
Why are doll clothes so expensive? :(

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 06, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »
Why are doll clothes so expensive? :(

because fabric can be expensive and they also charge for their time... every little bit adds up... those tiny buttons and thread and fabric dont pay for themselves (well they do in the long run... especially if people can charge $50+ for a clothing set... )

animal_lover

« Reply #791 on: April 06, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »
Handmade clothes I can understand. But I was talking more about clothes from the dolls. $15-$17 for an outfit for a doll that cost $20? That seems really expensive to me.

Post Merge: April 06, 2013, 04:51:03 PM

And why are a pair of shoes $10 without shipping?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:51:03 PM by animal_lover »

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 06, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
Handmade clothes I can understand. But I was talking more about clothes from the dolls. $15-$17 for an outfit for a doll that cost $20? That seems really expensive to me.

Now THAT depends on how easy it is to get the doll.... If it is still in stores, but not where EVERYONE has access to it... then there is why it costs so much... Sometimes it is move valuable to split the doll and the clothes up especially if it is something that people are looking for :)

Okiedokieloki

« Reply #793 on: April 06, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
It costs that much because there are people willing to pay that much. It's really that simple...and I have to agree, rather silly. The closest physical store where I can buy dolls is about 4 hours away, so unless I'm taking a trip to the city, or visiting my bf in the US, I have to resort to buying online. But I would -never- buy a doll's stock for any more than half of the price of the doll new. And that's even if I don't really like the doll and only want the stock.

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 06, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »

A lot of people are willing to spend $15 on an outfit they can use on several dolls as opposed to spending $20-$30 on the outfit and doll. If you aren't wanting the doll, it's a savings. And a lot of items are unique and "retired". So those will fetch a higher price, because they aren't available anymore.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:14:17 PM by crimsondeity »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal