collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rusty Butt  (Read 471 times)

daisypaisley76

• Trade Count: (0)
Rusty Butt
« on: March 15, 2013, 08:16:10 AM »
Hello, all. I have a Pony that someone left in the bathtub too long 8-(. The metal washer in the tail rusted onto the tail hair and around the tail hole. I soaked her tush in CLR (Lime Away) overnight and it does look better, but still has an orange tint in the base of the tail. Anything else I can try? Thanks!!!

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Rusty Butt
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 08:22:17 AM »
I've got no experience when it comes to rust, but I've heard that toothpaste and scrubbing works.
But, get some advice from an experienced one before listening to me :P

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:30:12 AM »
I use whitening toothpaste for scrubbing out the inside of rusty ponies. :)
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Ice_gypsy

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:30:49 AM »
i use simple green to take the rust off of the tail.. you have to take the tail out and wash it.. most likely the washer that holds the tail in is what is all rusted.. once in a while the clamp that holds the hair together will be a little bit rusty
you spray some of the simple green (or dip it in it whichever bottle you get) and then scrub it in, i usually use a toothbrush to sort of comb the top of the tail so it doesn't tangle it but you can also smoosh it with your fingers.. simple green is kind of drying though so make sure to rinse it well and then shampoo and condition the tail..gently comb through it and then let it dry: flat(or curl it) all the way before putting it back in the pony.. you can also use the simple green inside of the pony to wash it out but you will have to scrub the inside with something i use the same toothbrush and q-tips to get down in to the bottoms of the feet on the inside :D the qtips work well to clean the rust out of the tail hole.. they are the perfect size :D
anyways here is a before and after pics of my dutch baby rabbits tail
before: it was even orange discolored allover..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

after: you can see there is still a little bit of rust on the clamp but as long as it drys out all the way it wont continue to rust.. dampness makes it keep rust..

if you want to replace the washer you can find the same size washer in the hardware section of a store.. it helps to keep the tail in but it isn't necessary .. some people use small zip ties also

she also had rust at the bottom of her mane: because she was all rusty inside

so i had washed her mane too
i used the simple green on her inside and out

also
i also used it to wash my poor ponies after i had a house fire.. some of them got stained too badly to clean completely because the smoke is hot and it permeated them.. the ones higher on the shelves got it worse... but it got rid of the smokey powdery grime stuff:

sorry i don't have after photos of all of them
but here is a group shot of a bunch of my ponies as you can see some of them ended up rather discolored :(

anywho i am probably posting too many photos!!  :frolic:

if you are wondering what simple green is: http://www.simplegreen.com/ anyway you can use it for tons of other things besides pony cleanliness apparently lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:49:29 AM by Ice_gypsy »

daisypaisley76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
Poor babies!!! I will pick up some Simple Green and give it a try. Thanks so much!!!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »
Ice_gypsy is right. you best open her up and take the tail out and remove that washer because it will keep staining the pony if it stays inside :) That said, rust is easy to deal with. I personally just use tooth paste as i'm not bothered if there is a slight hint of rust left on the tail, but if you want to make her look all pretty then you got a great advice :)
good luck! and do take some before and after pictured if you can :D
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »
There are lots of cleaning tutorials up top in the sticky threads of this forum!  Look forward to seeing your progress.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »
Ice_gypsy I didnt realise you had gone through that :hug:

Ice_gypsy's guide is fantastic - if the pony has a really bad case of tail rust you need to take the tail out and treat the tail and body separately. Especially to ensure you get the metal grip and washer completely dry before putting them back in the pony. Baking soda or toothpaste are good for scrubbing away rust stains in the tail and on the plastic and rit rust remover as well. Just in case you cant track any simple green down.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal