collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Re-pinking question and value  (Read 657 times)

mylittleponylover92

• Trade Count: (0)
Re-pinking question and value
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:18:15 AM »
Hi pony people,

I love re-pinking my ponies! I was wondering if repinking does affect value? Well I guess that it probably does...but how much does it really? Do any of you re-pink?  :)

Im not really that into my collection holding value as I dont see myself selling it anytime soon, I just enjoy repinking my childhood ponies at the moment! I find it fun and it makes them look even prettier again!  ^.^

This is just a general question really, Im sorry if people have asked this before I just wanted to know myself :P
Here's one of my ponies Ive done:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Her hair is still wet there!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:50:05 PM by mylittleponylover92 »

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Re-pinking question and value
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:49 AM »
I have but I found the rose pink isn't very close to what it should be. Its almost more greyish. RIT dye fades too eventually so you'll have to do it again if you use it and the pony is in a sunny room.

mylittleponylover92

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »
I have but I found the rose pink isn't very close to what it should be. Its almost more greyish. RIT dye fades too eventually so you'll have to do it again if you use it and the pony is in a sunny room.

Ah fair enough!  :)

I have used RIT dye for my re-pinks, I've heard its better than Dylon anyways :P

Sun? Never see it enough here....no real chance of that happening right now, especially in my studio I only get sunlight in the morning then it moves lol. That and it keeps half snowing/raining a lot at the moment!

I didn't know that it faded eventually though!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
Yep, if you want clothing dye to be permanent you have to add a chemical fixative. RIT has its own brand of fixative and also there is some stuff called Retayne. I've never tried it on a pony though.

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:58:53 AM »
I have never repinked my self but bcc looks great. will be stalking this thread for any advice you get

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »
I would say it would drop value a bit more from what a pony with faded pink hair would be. Personally, I wouldn't buy a repinked pony, I'd rather have the original left, even if it was faded completely to white.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:52:52 AM »
I really like how it turned out.  Very pretty.  If I knew it had been re-pinked, I would be fine buying one as long as its not a htf pony.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »
Value,
a restored pony will ALWAYS be worth less then one in original and mint condition. We can never make something "mint" again. Some people are very talented on making them look like they are NM/M however.

Any badly done restore will devalue further from what you started with. A very well done repinked pony likely would get more then one with white faded hair, you'll get interest from buyers who would want it already fixed, and eliminate buyers who prefer all original no matter condition. It really depends on how close the colour turns out to the original, how evenly the dye took, and how permanent it is (nobody wants a repink that will transfer stains and bleed everywhere).

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 12:22:27 PM »
I think it depends on the buyer. Liken it to re-hairs for example - some people see more value in a re-haired pony than in one with original but badly cut or unfixable hair. And then some people will always prefer the pony to be as original and retain as much integrity as possible.

I'm kinda of in the original as possible camp, personally - for both re-hairs and re-pinks. I have re-pinked ponies - but only those who I intend on keeping in my own personal collection. If a pony I intend to sell on comes my way however (extras in bulk lots for example) who has faded hair, I won't touch it. Let it always be at the discretion of the new owner, I say  ;)  When selling however, I think it is ALWAYS important to state if the pony has been modified in any way re painted areas or hair.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
Personally, I'd rather have a pony with her original pink hair. But if the price is right and the shade looks right, I'll take a repinked one. So yeah. A repinked pony isn't worth as much as a mint one, but I'd pay more for a repinked pony than one with faded hair.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

mylittleponylover92

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »
It makes sense that obviously...a mint pony will always be worth more!

So far I haven't found it to run or transfer and I've had some ponies that have been re-pinked last for over 2 years now. So I'm pretty happy with it, I do try and even the colour out with lots of conditioner and cold water after so maybe that helps!

I only re-pink ponies I want to keep anyways  ^.^

This is really interesting though! I'd love to hear lots of people's views :)

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 02:47:21 PM

I really like how it turned out.  Very pretty.  If I knew it had been re-pinked, I would be fine buying one as long as its not a htf pony.

Aw thank you!  ^.^ I hope people don't think I ruined her lol :P :blush:
Maybe I'll try the fixative on a test pony one day! :P

Btw all, I always let someone know if I've made any modifications to a pony such as re-pinking. So far, that's the only major modification I've done to ponies I'm keeping. I like making them look like they did or as close as possible. Some ponies look like that anyways!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:47:21 PM by mylittleponylover92 »

PandoraFox

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »

I've recently read a topoc here on the arena that suggested using the crimson paint from a children's water paint set.
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,321028.0.html
Apparently that allows you to get results very close to the original color.
It lists some colors you can mix for closer results using Rit as well. 

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »
 ^.^ You'd be surprised at how many people called restored items "mint" when they're not mint, but just look great again.

Rit is pretty good about not staining, I have a LS for sale someone repinked with it. the colour is off, but it's even and the pony washed and dried nicely too when I cleaned her. I have seen some horrible repinks... got a yum yum that someone used marker to colour her hair! The root plugs were all stained and it just looked awful, another pony (SHS) that was dyed fuchsia and really blotchy, and had some staining on her ears from being dip dyed. Both of those I removed what I could and sold them for a few dollars.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
I prefer mine to have original pink if I can get it, but I have no problem repinking :)
My Wish List

mylittleponylover92

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 03:07:37 PM »
I've recently read a topoc here on the arena that suggested using the crimson paint from a children's water paint set.
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,321028.0.html
Apparently that allows you to get results very close to the original color.
It lists some colors you can mix for closer results using Rit as well.

Wow thats really different thanks! I'll have to try it someday! The results do look great  ^.^ Thanks for the link PandoraFox  :)

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 03:14:57 PM

^.^ You'd be surprised at how many people called restored items "mint" when they're not mint, but just look great again.

Rit is pretty good about not staining, I have a LS for sale someone repinked with it. the colour is off, but it's even and the pony washed and dried nicely too when I cleaned her. I have seen some horrible repinks... got a yum yum that someone used marker to colour her hair! The root plugs were all stained and it just looked awful, another pony (SHS) that was dyed fuchsia and really blotchy, and had some staining on her ears from being dip dyed. Both of those I removed what I could and sold them for a few dollars.

Aw that sucks :( I have sold quite a few ponies on eBay and one was re-pinked but I said that on the listing and the lady (who now sells me her ponies and we've become friendly) was buying for her daughter for play so didnt mind!

Oh no! Im sorry to hear that! I might have a go at making my ponies look a little more like the originals since I never really realised lol.

I'll really have to try that waterpaint method. Lol I used to play with them loads when I was little! It will be so nostalgic haha. :P

I prefer mine to have original pink if I can get it, but I have no problem repinking :)

Yeah, original pink for the win! My Baby Stargaze still has her amazing pink hair, I saw a white faded one on eBay and couldnt believe it haha.

I like repinking, if its been done well though! I have repinked my Posey, childhood Tiddlywinks and Cotton Candy that I remember which I like so I suppose thats all that matters since Im not selling.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:14:57 PM by mylittleponylover92 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal