collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody jailbroken/unlocked their smart phone?  (Read 536 times)

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Anybody jailbroken/unlocked their smart phone?
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »
I have my sisters old iPhone 3GS which if I'm successful in jailbreaking/unlocking, I'll be repairing so that it reads a sim again. I think it just needs a new back casing.

It cost me £40 to get my 3G unlocked and I'm starting to understand why - so many little things to download and do! I have jailbroken it but iTunes is just updating it for me and I suspect I'll lose the jailbreak and have to redo that.

Why am I doing it? My 3G doesn't have an up to date enough version of the iOS and I am sick of not being able to download apps like PayPal. Also, the home button doesn't like the cold (that cost £40 to get fixed once before so I'm not paying it again!) and I dropped it recently making the power button a little bit particular about when it will and won't work. Lastly, the 3GS is bigger (32gb to my 8gb) and faster, so if I can get it working to tide me over a year I'll be happy. This time next year I'll be starting to look at phone contracts or just buying an iPhone 5 (or 6!) outright. :)

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
Re: Anybody jailbroken/unlocked their smart phone?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:51:01 PM »
I rooted my Kindle Fire and installed Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on it. Completely changes the device. It went from being 'well I guess I should sell this', to 'I can not be without this'.

It's not really difficult, just tedious. Find a good tutorial, follow directions, eventually it'll get done.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »
Please note that in the US, if you purchased a phone after January 26th, it is illegal to unlock it.  It is still legal to jailbreak a phone, though, through at least 2015. 

Unlocking and jail breaking are different - unlocking means to render the phone to accept different service carriers.  Jailbreaking is more of a customization technique, but it will void your phone warranties.

That said, I've thought about jail breaking but have never done it.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
What happens when you break a Fire?
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:00:15 PM »
My iPhone is legit and staying that way, but both of our iPod Touches are jailbroken - extra customization :D
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »
I have no smart phone and don't really want one so no for me.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »
I have a friend that says that the warrenties will not be void if its jailbroken because you arent physically breaking anything on the inside 9its just a program mod)...but its not one of my fortes so im going ot raise my hands and leave it at that :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:58:14 AM »
Please note that in the US, if you purchased a phone after January 26th, it is illegal to unlock it.  It is still legal to jailbreak a phone, though, through at least 2015.

Really? Wow  :blink: so I guess if someone has a locked phone their only solution is to buy a new one with the carrier they want. That just sounds like a royal pain in the butt.

I don't have a smartphone or other device so I can't talk much about the jailbreaking, I just found that most curious

Offline MLPlyte

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 11:35:19 PM »
When I had an Android-based phone, I did root it. I loved how custom everything could be, but it did glitch on me a bit. Now I have an iPhone 4s, which is jailbroken. I'm really happy with it. And yes, it voids your warranty, if they know about it. Just un-jailbreak if you really need to take it in. I'm not familiar with the capabilities of the older phones, though, so I'm not sure what a jailbreak would do for you.

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 12:06:38 PM »

Whereas in the UK, it's illegal to sell a phone that cannot be unlocked! They don't have to make it easy or free though.

Itunes asked to update the 3GS and restore it so I let it and now it's running iOS 6 summat. Or it was, it's in pieces on the desk because I'm changing the back cover. I did get it to recognise a sim, but I'll still need to unlock it to take my sim as I'm on a different network to the phone. Whether I'll still go through with jail breaking it completely or not now that the operating system is updated...

Neither of these phones have any warranty whatsoever (the contracts ended a couple of years ago) so I'm happy to tinker. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal