collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dogs and rawhide.. waring to those that feed them  (Read 2431 times)

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Dogs and rawhide.. waring to those that feed them
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:59:42 AM »
Im not sure if this should go into whats your problem, but it's not really something I'm complaining about, but more of a warning to those who give there dog rawhides.

Lets just start with my boss (a vet, I am a reg vet tech) who hates them with a passion.  In turn my mom has been a long time rawhide giver, since before I was born. I told her that they where not good for the dogs, but you know how it is some times. I have been doing it for such and such of a time and never had a problem....

Well we had a problem.  Gracie my 10 year old Jack Russell was really sick when I got home Monday night.  I gave her something called Sulcarfate to settle her stomach and some metacam for her pain and it seemed to help.  It had been a nice day and they had been outside a lot so I figured she had eaten something gross in the yard like usual and gave herself a rip roaring stomach ache.

Next morning she seemed okay, no vomiting overnight and she looked pretty perky and bright. I let her outside she went potty and I gave her another carafate just incase before I went to work.  Mom sends me a text that she had vomitted again, was drinking a lot of water and was sleeping alot.  This really was a concern as this was out of character for her.  At this point she had not metioned the rawhide, as I don't think in her mind she thought they where connected.

I decided on my lunch break to drive home and get her, as I just had a gut feeling something was really really wrong with her.    So I took her into work, blood work for the most part was normal, she was dehydrated which I expected (we have been dealing with some liver issues and they were back to normal YAY! but read this as a reason that sometimes you need more then one diagnostic tool).  I opted for xrays too.   Something reflected back like metal in her pylorus (entry to the stomach), it was stuck. I opted for surgery instead of putting her on fluids for a day to see if whatever is was moved out.

So I prepared her for surgery, and got her on the table. Upon opening her up we found her intestinal track normal.  Thats great!  We moved into her stomach.  In the pylorus was a pepto bismol tablet, which was what showed on the xrays so bright.  I didn't realize my mom had given her this the night before, but because she did we found two pieces of rawhide stuck in the entry way to her stomach. Not very big ones either.  And the longer they sit there, the more they expand.

Without the surgery there was a good chance this could of killed her.  I just wanted to warn others so they don't have to go through the same things, as my mom was really upset when I told her.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Dogs and rawhide.. waring to those that feed them
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:39:33 AM »
I never give my pets rawhides. Deadly blockages from them are far too common to be worth it. So many people just don't realize how dangerous they are. I hope your pup is going to be ok now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:44:13 AM »
Ugh.  I HATE rawhide treats.  Thanks for sharing.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:17:01 AM »
Oh wow poor dog. I hope she's doing better. She was awfully lucky to have you around! Rawhide treats always grossed me out so I never fed them then I started hearing of the issues they cause and I'm relieved I never have.
Thanks for sharing though, always a good reminder.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:23:40 AM »
Oh man :(  Im glad your dog is ok!

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:59:51 AM »
I'm sorry about your dog. I've heard this a million times on pet forums but still give my dog rawhide. One should know their dog and source their rawhides well and always supervise closely while their dog is chewing. I know some rawhides will often have little pieces wrapped up inside them to fill out the bone instead of one big piece that the dogs have to chew at more slowly. When the smaller pieces are freed from the big outside piece the dog might swallow them because they are too small to hold between their paws and chew down good. What's worse to me is any pork bones. They're soft enough like chicken bones where they can be broken to bits by any dog. But basically anything your own dog chews to bits is dangerous. Even dog toys.

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Heading out to pick her up now.  Of course it's my day off, but my coworkers sent me updates today.  She is doing well and resting comfortably.

Thanks for all the good thoughts.  My mom would of been devestaded if this would of killed her and it was her fault, plus it's one of those I told you so moments without having up actually say it.

Haveacrumpet; she's not normally a dog that swallows things like that either so it was a bit of a surprise when she did it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:16:38 AM by slj84 »

Offline blonde2themax

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Thanks Shenanigans for my sig & Sirithfin for my profile pic :D!
My Sales Page :D!http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,319444.msg580218.html#msg580218
My G3 and Season Swap Wishlisthttp://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327117.new.html#new

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »
I've been cutting back on rawhide for ours and this has certainly put me off using up what's left.  I worry when it makes their gums bleed too.  Plus that it generally comes from China when we have no idea what standards they have for the treatment of the rawhide.  I was only giving it to them when i could watch them and they had to be in their cages so they didn't fight over it so basically it's no longer worth the hassle.
THanks for posting

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 02:45:44 PM »
I've heard Cesar Milan recommend bully sticks over raw hide. If I ever get a dog, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »
what are bully sticks?

my dog loves these, I take it they are not very good for him either?

He's not one to gulp down huge chunks - he is very dainty when he eats and he will hoard the bone and lick it for days before deciding to chew it.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »
we never give our dog rawhide after the last one who was a whippet mix got it stuck around her muzzle, that was the end of raw hide for us.

Tancho

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »
My view is there is an associated risk with everything an animal puts in it's mouth. Humans can choke on a tiny piece of food, things can get lodged in any part of the body etc etc. Same for all animals.
As others have said half of it is down to the owner to be diligent, the type of product and the animal itself. I generally tell customers to refrain from leaving pets unattended with ANY treat product and to monitor animals closely and if in doubt to not give it to them.
There are loads of good alternatives though, Stag Bars are getting very popular now, shame my dog hates them!!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 05:25:23 PM »
Bully sticks are long dried sticks made of the skin of the bull's reproductive "member". They are similar to rawhide but stink like pee badly. They are gross and easily chewed down to size that can cause swallowing issues just the same. They also can get jammed in the throat if ur dog carries them the long way and the free end gets caught on the ground while the dog is moving forward.

Offline rearing_palomino164

• MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »
Oh wow thanks for sharing!

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal