collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I do not want to be called a Brony.  (Read 7799 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I do not want to be called a Brony.
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
Wow... I like violent art at times but you don't just go up to a random person and say "Draw my OC stabbing a canon character from a fandom you're a part of" That's scary.

I agree. I prefer a broader term like "Pony Fan"

Haha.. that reminds me... XD I once got a request from a guy that asked me if I could draw a certain X-Men character completely nude and that he'd pay me XD I don't draw nudes and another thing... the character was a child :shocked:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Mkanke

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2013, 06:48:54 PM »
I basically roll with whatever title works for the time. FiM got me into ponies but a friend also got me watching older gens and their quite fun too. It also got me into the whole collecting scene and so I have that to thank it for.

I don't have a problem with people doing what they will with a fandom though. Having been on the internet a long time I just sort of got used to there being things I don't want to dabble in within different fandoms I have followed such as violence and other things of that nature. I just sort of learnt to understand that people express their enjoyment of a particular thing in their own way and to give them respect as a person. To each their own I guess.

ANYWHO... I use the term Brony when out and about because it clicks with a lot of aware people that 'Oh their a pony fan of various sorts' and keeps me from having to monologue to them so the social flow can move on :)

Otherwise I go by whatever as I collect many gens and enjoy fanworks such as art and music for all the gens  :D

Tirac

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »
Wow... I like violent art at times but you don't just go up to a random person and say "Draw my OC stabbing a canon character from a fandom you're a part of" That's scary.

Haha.. that reminds me... XD I once got a request from a guy that asked me if I could draw a certain X-Men character completely nude and that he'd pay me XD I don't draw nudes and another thing... the character was a child :shocked:
I would have been furious with that person. Now, I have nothing against artistic nudity but asking for a CHILD CHARACTER to be drawn naked is clearly pedo-enabling and quite frankly, disgusting. We need less people in the world into that stuff. I would have reported that guy.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2013, 07:21:04 AM »
Before FIM came along I was just a collector (I got hooked because I found a few G3s while looking for LPS and it just kinda grew from there). To me a collector is someone who simply collects and usually has no interest in the any other aspect of it. I was not a fan of the earlier cartoons at all. Then FIM came along and I loved it. One of my friends has a habit of using "bro" as a gender neutral term so I accepted Brony as also gender neutral and decided I was both a Brony and still a Collector at the same time. I still kinda consider myself a Brony but just a sane one. I'm a member of other fandoms that have their insanities and ship wars and the like but I don't mess with that stuff or let it bother me. I just like what I like.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2013, 07:37:50 AM »

I would have been furious with that person. Now, I have nothing against artistic nudity but asking for a CHILD CHARACTER to be drawn naked is clearly pedo-enabling and quite frankly, disgusting. We need less people in the world into that stuff. I would have reported that guy.

Er... I disagree with you there, but that's a completely other debate that probably wouldn't go anywhere anyway. I'm not into the stuff myself, but to each their own. As long as I don't have to see it, people can have their fantasies. Sometimes it's fantasies that keep us sane and keep potentially harmful urges from dangerously being bottled up.
Same goes for the bronies into the "clop" stuff. It's a bit hard to say that they're the ones who aren't real bronies or that they're morally reprehensible when they (usually) enjoy their art in peace and it's others who judge the entirety of their character based on it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:43:46 AM by reanna-mator »
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Acheron187

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
I do not consider myself a Brony anymore, I just like My Little Pony. I disagree with a lot of the fandom's choices recently and am strictly collecting/watching show, I rp some but nothing too serious.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »
as much as I disagree with that kind of thing please remember to keep this thread on topic. Thanks ;)

Post Merge: April 04, 2013, 12:18:52 PM

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
Sorry to raise a necro thread, but I reject the brony label as well. I call myself a big brother pony, to coincide with the names of the G1 males

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
I'm sure this comment will inspire alot of laughter from others and quite a bit of ignorance on my part, but prior to joining the arena, I was under the impression that Brony was a term for a male fan of MLP.

I wasn't aware that there was any stigmas attached.

I just thought it was innocent. Up until a few weeks ago I kept telling my husband he was a Brony lol.

There all kinds of people out there that are into all kinds of things from regular everyday stuff to incredibly creepy weird stuff. To each their own.

For myself personally (and I know my husband also agrees as it's been discussed) think it's weird and a little gross when people take sweet childhood characters and turn them into sex fiends, drawing all kinds of xxx art or very violent art.

But that's just us, some people like that, and that's fine. I think I've gotten off topic here lol, I ramble and I know that.

I just wanted to point out that I never thought of the term/label Brony as anything other than a male MLP fan. Plain and simple.

MimiTheMuse

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »
I want to say this.....about bronies and every other label: When I was younger I wanted labels to have a sense of belonging, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I became a whole lot happier  when I got older and realized the only label I needed was "Mimi."

There's no shame in using labels or not using labels....the important thing is to love yourself and let your hobbies have a positive influence in your life. :)

Offline CrystalMist

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Colorado is sooooo pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
I agree with you. I don't want to be called a brony or any other thing. I like just being a collector that enjoys the show! I don't like their stories or their "fan fiction" A lot of it is just scary and morbid. I am not huge fan of bronies and don't want to be a pegasister, Whatever that is… And I fell like bronies get more respect, and have disgusting fan-art. But I don't want to start a fight. They also just kinda poped out of nowhere.
I'm always looking for a Blythe accessories. PM me for any info!cloud_weaver is the best sister ever!!! :heart:

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2013, 02:34:46 PM »
I had always thought "bronies" were just boys that liked MLP -  I was happy when I learned of it, because I figured it just meant that society was evolving enough such that boys would finally not be stigmatized for playing with traditionally "girly" toys- and THAT would be awesome!

Until right this second, that's what I thought too. I am totally unfamiliar with the current MLP. I'm a G1 girl at heart since that's what I grew up with in the 80s. I didn't care much for the G2 ponies, although I had a few at the time. I totally fell in love again with G3 because they remind me of G1. I drifted away 5 or 6 years ago, so I'm totally out of the loop now. I still love MLP, but only the ponies I'm familiar with: G1s and G3s. I don't know anything about G3.5 and G4, nor am I interested in them. I've never seen the show, I don't know anything about the dolls I keep hearing about (although I did see a couple of pics, which look hideous to me), and I don't care about the G4 ponies I've seen in stores. Sure, some are kinda cute, but I have zero interest in buying any.

I hope I don't offend anyone. If you like the cartoons, dolls, and toys, it doesn't matter to me. My dislike of them shouldn't matter to you. :)

Edit: I fixed a sentence that didn't make sense.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2013, 02:36:04 PM »
Ditto. Brony has some negative connotations in my mind; to me, anyone who enjoys ponies without getting weird and uncomfortable about it is termed a pony fan. :)

I mean seriously, why is the label even needed?

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
Ditto. Brony has some negative connotations in my mind; to me, anyone who enjoys ponies without getting weird and uncomfortable about it is termed a pony fan. :)

Well, I think it started when the expected fans broke out into "men actually like this? Cool! Bro+Pony=Brony" type situation. I'm not sure.

When the fandom started, I put myself into that label. When the whole "pegasister" thing started, I didn't want to be called that. As the time passed, I started to dislike parts of the fandom. Some art got me...upset. I just disconnected myself from that part and stayed with the rest. I gave up my label of brony in favor of "MLP Fanatic" because I love all Gens!

That's my story hehe

[content edit ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:39:43 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »

Well, I think it started when the expected fans broke out into "men actually like this? Cool! Bro+Pony=Brony" type situation. I'm not sure.

It actually all started on a site that shall not be named (it's a bit racy, can't post the name here), when the series premiered and people started talking about it/posting caps etc. Users there coined the term by, as you surmised, combining 'bro' and 'pony' to refer to the influx on pony fans on their boards.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal