collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I do not want to be called a Brony.  (Read 7868 times)

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I do not want to be called a Brony.
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »

I absolutely agree. I was shocked when I read the opening post. I must admit I don't really know what the "Brony" phenomenon is....could someone explain it to me please?
Super short explanation: A brony is and adult fan of MLP:FiM.

Personally I qualify as brony (I love the good side of the fandom!) but who needs labels that come with negativity? I'm a collector and a fan :biggrin:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:21:05 AM by Kiwi »

Candyfloss2013

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2013, 12:28:47 PM »
I cal myself a brony. (I hate Pegasister.) I am like you. I love the show and the characters and i hate grim dark fan-fics. But i will not say that i am not a brony because i have just started collecting the other Ponies. Don't let the Lunar Republic get you down, listen to Apple Cider, Chef Sandy and Princess Starry of the Bronyville Podcast and you will be good.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2013, 12:38:56 PM »
Super short explanation: A brony is and adult fan of MLP:FiM.
Alternatively: a brony is an adult fan of MLP:FiM who self-identifies as a brony out of appreciation for bronydom.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
I consider myself a collector and My Little Pony fan. If someone calls me a brony, they will be corrected......severely.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2013, 05:12:27 PM »
My only label is majestic.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
My only label is majestic.

HAH! Yes, I like this one!!

I used to identify as a Brony - I thought it was a cool, new title for collectors. When I realized that I was mistaken (at least for myself - other collectors are free to take the title if they please!), I dropped the title, and no longer refer to myself as such.

I do have a small problem when it comes to identifying myself, though. If people refer to me as a Brony online, I usually correct them - since online people, from the fandom, often know the difference between 'pony fan' and 'Brony.' But I'm less likely to do so offline - for example, I ran into several kids at Disneyland when I went there in my Rainbow Dash hoodie, and they excitedly told me that they were 'Bronies' and loved the show! And, well, I didn't have the heart to explain my convoluted reasoning behind why I don't like the title. :blush: So I think, depending on different situations, abandoning the title may be more confusing than simply agreeing. ^^; I just wish more people were aware that there were pony fans (yes, even rabid ones!) before Bronies!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
At 52 almost 53 years of age, what is important to me, is respecting others likes and dislikes and not trying to foster your views and ideals (or need for a label to make yourself stand out) onto others who do not wish to be lumped into that category.     

I have always felt no matter what generation you are into if you are buying ponies to display then you are a collector.   

The dictionary definition of collector is as follows -

col·lec·tion
noun \kə-ˈlek-shən\
Definition of COLLECTION
: the act or process of collecting
a : something collected; especially : an accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2013, 03:08:37 AM »
Kudos to all for keeping this thread civil!
Totally expected it to be locked by now!!!
Yay us ^_^
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2013, 06:57:33 AM »
Kudos to all for keeping this thread civil!
Totally expected it to be locked by now!!!
Yay us ^_^

I know! *checks the Arena's collective temperatures to see if they are feeling well* :lol:
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Spanky

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 09:15:38 AM »
If anything, it's interesting to see how the adult fanbase of MLP has changed within last years.

Offline Pinkhazard

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pink Hazard Sales
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »
I wouldn't be comfortable being called a Brony. I respect the fandom, but I'm an old school MLP fan, my heart truely lies with G1 cartoons, comics and ponies.
MLP for me is about childhood memories, innocence and and all-round good feeling.

FiM makes me very happy to watch, I love the show. I do not collect the ponies and I don't wamt to join in discussions about the show or fanfic, or any of the seriously disturbing stuff I have unfortunately come across already. I just love the characters as they develop in the show (and Pinkie Pie :P ).

I am simply an fan/collector/nut ;)

It does make me happy to see that so many boys have joined the MLP fandom, albeit in their own way. They do bring a breath of fresh air to the hobby!

Tirac

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »
Wow... I like violent art at times but you don't just go up to a random person and say "Draw my OC stabbing a canon character from a fandom you're a part of" That's scary.

I agree. I prefer a broader term like "Pony Fan"

nollilols

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2013, 02:07:38 AM »
I always thought bronies were male fans of FiM specifically (not any other gen). Didn't realise it was an adult fan. I don't think you can really retroactively apply a label like that to older gens, but I'm indifferent to labels anyway. Generally, in my experience, stereotypical assumptions by people (I collect ponies - "you're a brony") just indicates their lack of knowledge about that label. And I don't mean that in a condescending manner, I literally mean if someone called me a brony because I collect G1s I would just try to explain it to them. If they were unwilling to listen, well, that says a lot more about their character than about me. Which is exactly why labels don't bother me - they're a comment on the people who apply them, not the people being labelled.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
I think it's a bit silly to label and attach certain stereotypes to people based on the toys they collect.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »
All I've known of the brony label since I started collecting again last year was that it was associated with the show, I've been off the forums I browse for a few months because of things changing in my personal life so I'm not up to speed on most of this stuff.
I try to keep away from labels, and most people actually. Only my father and fiance know about my collecting because small rural towns are often full of close minded bullies so I keep it within my own world.
I don't very much like the idea of these 'killer' art works. I mean I just don't understand why you'd want to have a picture of any pony being stabbed. Although it's each to their own I guess. My UK Ponycon custom was a vampire princess called Bat-Fury which was a mild interpretation of Elizabeth Bathory. That's as close as I come to 'darkness' in ponies.
My other half pointed out that their are 'obsessive' fans for many things out there and having extreme people within a fanbase is just normal for anything with a mass following.

I'm a female collector and just identify myself as a collector and nothing else.

If this request for art upsets you just explain that you are unable to do the artwork as the subject matter disturbs and perhaps maybe find an artist on here who doesn't mind doing such art pieces and suggest that person to the individual who wants the killer artwork :)
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal