collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What constitutes an error?  (Read 880 times)

daisypaisley76

• Trade Count: (0)
What constitutes an error?
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:42:12 AM »
Is there an "official" definition of an error? Is it a specific batch of say, mismarked Ponies, or can it be an individual Pony with a deviation? I have Salty my Big Brother here, and three of the hair plugs were misplaced during production. Would this be considered an "error?" Thanks! visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DGRequiem

Re: What constitutes an error?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:46:06 AM »
I'd call anything that makes a pony less-than-minty pre-deboxing an error/factory flaw.

But if you're talking about those rare factory mishaps that make a pony more valuable instead of less (like the ponies released with another pony's cutie mark, or inverted hair colors), no. 

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:04:51 AM »
I saw that one on eBay last night. xD

I think that's just more of a factory oopsie than a major error.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline BrightIdea

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »
"Error" is exactly what it sounds like, a mistake made by the factory. Any pony that deviates from the intended quality and original design of the product is technically an error pony.

Errors could be anything really, from smudged paint to missing hair, to wrong symbol, so yeah, Salty there would be an error.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »
It's about semantics - there is factory flaw and factory error.  Technically, they are the same thing - a  pony that doesn't meet standards 100%, but one makes a pony "valued" rather than "not-valued". 

Flaws are generally things that don't add to the value/uniqueness factor while errors are.

I would call mis-punched hair plugs a flaw that may not devalue the pony.  But it would be different than say, if you had that Salty with Wigwam's symbol misprinted on him.  That would be an error and hold some "value" because of its uniqueness. 

I wouldn't consider the hair plugs more than $2-5 off his price overall though...  others may weigh in differently.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »
It's about semantics - there is factory flaw and factory error.  Technically, they are the same thing - a  pony that doesn't meet standards 100%, but one makes a pony "valued" rather than "not-valued". 

Flaws are generally things that don't add to the value/uniqueness factor while errors are.

I would call mis-punched hair plugs a flaw that may not devalue the pony.  But it would be different than say, if you had that Salty with Wigwam's symbol misprinted on him.  That would be an error and hold some "value" because of its uniqueness. 

I wouldn't consider the hair plugs more than $2-5 off his price overall though...  others may weigh in differently.  :)

This!

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »
I concur with the others, that seems like something that wouldn't necessarily hurt his value but wouldn't increase it either...
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Dludnerad

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »
I used to have a Tootie Tails with a double punched tail hole, and a Seashell with a very wobbly mane much like your Salty. They were definately detrimental flaws.
A wrong or missing symbol is much more fun and tends to add to the value. For some reason it's the hair that people care about the most. Switch a pony's hair colour around and it can add thousands to her value.

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:13:37 AM »

This... This exactly!
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline blonde2themax

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »
I agree that this hair issues won't effect price very much.
Thanks Shenanigans for my sig & Sirithfin for my profile pic :D!
My Sales Page :D!http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,319444.msg580218.html#msg580218
My G3 and Season Swap Wishlisthttp://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327117.new.html#new

daisypaisley76

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »
Great! Thanks for all the info!!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »
Its always cool to have a pony which is a little unique though isnt it? Even if its just due to the pony having manufacturer issues.

I think LBS summed it up perfectly. Flaws and errors are simply that mistakes in the manufacturing process and personally I don't think either seem to greatly affect value subject to how extreme they are. For example a Salty missing all his symbol on one side due to a factory flaw may decrease his value, but a Salty with his stripe and mane colour switched around would probably be worth much more. As for this, its very minimal and people will probably own ponies with this issue and will not even have noticed it - so I agree it doesnt add and it doesnt detract from value.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal