collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dear Hasbro -My Little Pony Generations- Similar Transformers  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Hasbro -My Little Pony Generations- Similar Transformers
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
I wonder if what is keeping them from doing this is just the cost-   Pony collectors seem to want to pay a certain amount- and it might cost more than what market research shows that people are willing to pay, to get the pony made.

I am guessing that the price it would take to make the pony, make packaging and also have a small amount of profit  (based on the current prices of ponies) - would be in the area of $8.99 - $14.99.  Since that is pretty much how much a G1 pony costs on ebay (cept the harder to find ones) I am wondering how many people would actually pay that price? 

If they try to make them cheaper, quality suffers.  I think that's what happened with the anniversary ponies which sat on the shelves for quite a long time before disappearing if you remember-  they were only $19.99 for the entire set, but there was something not quite right about them  (don't get me wrong I do like them, just think they look better in their package, and up close- just don't seem to be as nice as the originals)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
I'd pay between $10 and $20 for official G1 ponies made with current molds.  As long as they supported it and kept releasing a few new (old) characters every year or so.  They have all the molds, they have all the colors of plastic, they have the hair colors.  The only thing new would be cutie marks and packaging.

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
I agree with everyone-  it would be really fun to have more of the older G1 characters rereleased in the G4 moulds, or even reproduced in the old moulds.  In Hasbro's mind, it may not be just a matter of reaffirming names though.  Here are a few thoughts that might also be having impacts:

Companies pay a lot for shelf space.   
The Transformers fan base has been really large (and much louder) for a much longer time than the ponies, and not just in the US.  There were huge conventions for them long before ponies - like Botcon back in the early and mid 90's.  The reissues as well as the Universe toys for TF popped up after some of the newer lines began to become a bit less desireable with the fans (latter part of Beast Machines and onwards, though Armada had a good run).  The Bay movies were a disaster with most of the older G1 fans, but the Universe line was amazing-  it stepped in and bridged the gap, giving back older characters with recognizeable features.  Some (like Ironhide) it made to look even better than the original figure.  But- keep the shelf space in mind- the movie happened, and then the toon series.  It's a lot of product to display, but Hasbro knew they had the older fan base as well as the new movie fans and the kids to support it.

Pony-wise, G2 didn't go over well, sadly.  G3 had a fantastic run until we had too many of the same characters saturating the line, and then G 3.5 happened. G4 is a whopper of a hit, the fan base is huge- but it's not like Transformers.  I hope you'll allow a big generalization here- but there is a huge split between G4 fans and G1 fans, and it's not a pleasant one.  The newer fan base is massive, but it's only a bit over a couple years old.  Can Hasbro bridge the collector gap?  Sure they could- and of course there is a ready buyer's market for our old pony friends (as Applejack and Minty show), but at what cost?  Lots and lots of complaints. G4 sells, but originals that are in G4 bodies?  Lots of G1 collectors don't like G4, and vica versa.  Hasbro may be figuring it's just safer and more economical to focus on new characters and new product- and the artists working for them may be happier creating their own characters too, rather than reproducing the older ones.

Still... it'd sure be nice to have a Pony retro-line.  I'd love an official 'Masterpiece' G4 Magic Star, Gusty or Galaxy! :cool:  If the collectors as a whole keep asking, and keep showing that they'd support it, Hasbro has listened in the past.  After all, we got 25th releases and boy ponies again!!  G4 is still the new kid on the block in toy line terms- perhaps in time Hasbro will hear us.  After all, it'd only really need a couple more peg hangers.   :biggrin:     
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:45:05 AM by Sugarberry »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 12:45:38 PM »
Not to try to capitalize on this, but maybe the animation project I'm trying to start up could help.  It's a story starring the G1 ponies using the Friendship is Magic animation style.  Maybe, if it's popular, it could show there is demand for the older pony characters in the new molds.  We've been looking for some benefit our project could give to Hasbro, and raising the profile of some of the old ponies and generating demand for them could be it.

Frankly, making older ponies in the new style would be a better 30th anniversary celebration than Equestria Girls.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
Hasbros response
"
 Response Via Email (Veronica)   03/12/2013 10:17 AM
Hi,

Thank you for contacting Hasbro, Inc. regarding My Little Pony. I appreciate your interest!

I do apologize, however, there are no plans at this time to reissue G1 My Little Pony products. 

Please be assured I will share your interest with the appropriate personnel.

Thanks again for your interest.
"

maybe they misunderstood what I meant by G1 ponies.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
Alas probably a pretty standard customer services reply :(
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
Yeah.  Maybe you should take this to the actual people at the MLP fair in July.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline celticowgirl88

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
I would loooooooooooooove to see just a couple G1 ponies after all this brony catering to.

Heddwyn ~ Castor

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 04:47:37 PM »

oh please YES! alas, I'm not going myself, personally.  :(

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »

oh please YES! alas, I'm not going myself, personally.  :(
Well, I am.  Maybe I can pin someone down and talk about it.

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »
We've been asking for this for AGES!!!!! It's a recurring request at every pony fair there is along with more boys and seaponies. As we can tell, they caved for a boy pony, however crappy with the troll hair and cleanly sliced cheeks (more weird than handsome?). Not a brilliant response, and the consumers kind of know why seeing that Shining Armour could have been made with a little less slack in the looks department, but that made a perfect excuse for Hasbro reps to go "See they're not doing well!" It's like every attempt they made is done on purpose to make things  a flop so that they have less work to do.

I, for one, put a huge vote for G1-G4 ponies. I don't mind if they want to remake G1 ponies, but perhaps they can have a little trial run with collectors before they put things out there thinking they know what they are doing when they actually don't. I will gladly volunteer to be a test bait. :D I don't care if the molds are G1 or G4, so long as the G1 characters are brought back to life. Imagine seeing these one shelves:

OR

even making this is good.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 02:53:34 AM »
When I read the title of your thread I honest to gods thought it would be about asking Hasbro to make TF versions of the Mane Six (in the spirit of Beast Wars or Beast machines).

I didn't know how much I wanted Beast Wars ponies until now :lol:

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 03:18:26 AM »
G4 is a whopper of a hit, the fan base is huge- but it's not like Transformers.  I hope you'll allow a big generalization here- but there is a huge split between G4 fans and G1 fans, and it's not a pleasant one.  The newer fan base is massive, but it's only a bit over a couple years old.  Can Hasbro bridge the collector gap?  Sure they could- and of course there is a ready buyer's market for our old pony friends (as Applejack and Minty show), but at what cost?  Lots and lots of complaints. G4 sells, but originals that are in G4 bodies?  Lots of G1 collectors don't like G4, and vica versa.  Hasbro may be figuring it's just safer and more economical to focus on new characters and new product- and the artists working for them may be happier creating their own characters too, rather than reproducing the older ones.

G1 ponies seem to be picking up popularity with G4 fans, at least lately. I have seen several popular pony artists drawing G1 and G3 ponies because they like the designs. There is an ask blog on tumblr called Ask Surprise which is, afaik, one of the most popular and well-known blogs of its kind. There is one for Firefly that is also very popular. They both feature the rest of the "prototype ponies" from time-to-time too. SoGreatandPowerful has been making songs about celestial G1 ponies which seem fairly well received. So long as they are presented in G4-style, FiM have been welcoming G1 ponies more and more as time goes on.

I think if they tested it with the "original mane six" (Twilight, Firefly, Surprise, Sparkler, Posey and, of course, Applejack), they would be able to bridge the gap between G1 and G4 fans. These six are easily the most recognizable and popular G1 ponies among bronies, if only because of their ties to the main characters of the show. They may have to change the names a bit as others have said. A lot of fans see Twilight Sparkle's mother as a nod to G1 Twilight, and I believe the blind bag of her is called Twilight Velvet, which I think would work well for that particular character. Anyway, if that set goes over well, they can then branch out into other G1, and possibly G2, characters, (and G3, but they have done that already to a lesser extent).

Hasbro should at least consider it. It will breathe some variety into the line. Kids will like them because they're new ponies, collectors will be pleased to see old friends once more, and bronies may be chuffed to own official "ancestors" of their favourite characters.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

pixieponies

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 03:20:47 AM »
this idea is great, if a petition is started count me in
i would love a G4 Fizzy and Gypsy

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 03:47:19 AM »
Considering there are multiple Twilight's in G1 (even in the show) calling the first Twilight Twilight <insert something here> would be a good idea.  And they could add My Little Pony or their species to the trademark.

However, I think people need to actually talk to people at Hasbro instead of asking yes or no questions at the Q and A.  This is more complicated than that as we're trying to show them a real demand for this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal