collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: why am I finding so many illiterate people on eBay these days?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
Re: why am I finding so many illiterate people on eBay these days?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 03:20:34 PM »
Oh, I have some message gems from my eBay auctions lately.

"hi there my computer broke down and i missed out buying this will u still sell it to me pls send me ur adresss by email and i will send money order karna"

"hi i will take it is 6.99 good what isur best price"

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »
I accidentally add an S to things all the time, even if its no where near the final letter lol. I wouldn't say Im a grammar pro, but I'm not illiterate. It's usually just me typing too fast.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 05:35:10 PM »
I try to always type with correct grammar, aside from the occasional internet silliness.  Honestly, I feel like anything worth typing is worth typing properly.  BUT, it is the internet and I try not to let the occasional misspelling bother me.

Remember, some peole are ESL, too <3  Not everyone can speak English.

This.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:01:31 PM by ZennaBug »

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 05:11:12 AM »
Yeah zenna im most bothered by grammer thats to bad to read

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »
oh, actually, there is one that I find worst of all! And I rarely see a non-native write it - "it could of been.." and co. where "have" has been replaced with "of", makes me tear my hair out every time!
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
oh, actually, there is one that I find worst of all! And I rarely see a non-native write it - "it could of been.." and co. where "have" has been replaced with "of", makes me tear my hair out every time!

This ^^  That is one of my biggest pet peeves. It's "have" people!!! Bad grammar drives me crazy. My husband calls me a grammar nazi... :lol:

I understand when it's an ESL person, but I know people who were born and raised her in Canada with horrendous grammar. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but geez...

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 09:58:27 AM »
The only thing I do have a problem with is that we really need to be more thoughtfful of others.  Not everyone can write well but that doesn't mean they are illiterate.  There are many conditions that affect a person's ability to write where they can speak just fine.  I would like to see less frustration directed at people who for whatever reason don't measure up and more tolerance for the fact that there are other languages, learning disabilities, people in pain (like me) and numerous reasons for poor grammar.  Lets just accept others, can we?  Lets not call people illiterate just because they can not spell.  We don't know why people have problems, but if you met them in real life you may soon discover they are a delight and special, they just can't write.  I would like to say my husband has just this type of disorder his IQ is over 128, yet he can not spell.  He has verbal retrieval  disorder.  He is very smart and not illiterate, but an auction from him would contain very easy to spell words all messed up.   Its just not so nice to put everyone in a negative basket.  Also, for the record, I never said I wasn't opinionated. I am an advocate for those who have special needs that for whatever reason can't do things exactly like the world does, but are no less valuable to this world. Wink Hugs to all...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:03:41 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »
The only thing I do have a problem with is that we really need to be more thoughtfful of others.  Not everyone can write well but that doesn't mean they are illiterate.  There are many conditions that affect a person's ability to write where they can speak just fine.  I would like to see less frustration directed at people who for whatever reason don't measure up and more tolerance for the fact that there are other languages, learning disabilities, people in pain (like me) and numerous reasons for poor grammar.  Lets just accept others, can we?  Lets not call people illiterate just because they can not spell.  We don't know why people have problems, but if you met them in real life you may soon discover they are a delight and special, they just can't write.  I would like to say my husband has just this type of disorder his IQ is over 128, yet he can not spell.  He has verbal retrieval  disorder.  He is very smart and not illiterate, but an auction from him would contain very easy to spell words all messed up.   Its just not so nice to put everyone in a negative basket.  Also, for the record, I never said I wasn't opinionated. I am an advocate for those who have special needs that for whatever reason can't do things exactly like the world does, but are no less valuable to this world. Wink Hugs to all...

:heart:

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
To add on to this conversation...I have nothing against people who can't spell, or make simple misspellings....

What I can't stand is...

"0mG can i BuY ur auctin 4 lyk, $10 off wut U r selling it 4, i wuz rly looking 4 dis one?!"

I actually received a message like this on eBay. ._.

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »
Exactly what I'm talking about. If you can use slang word like that, you know the English language well enough.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 05:23:34 AM »

What I can't stand is...

"0mG can i BuY ur auctin 4 lyk, $10 off wut U r selling it 4, i wuz rly looking 4 dis one?!"

All this is ...is a new urban slang that was created due to texting and is used often as a form of language that is accepted as cool in many social groups and cultures.  It is not pure English,  but it's important to note that it's widely accepted and meant to be less formal.  I think people get so use to using slang, they forget not everyone talks this way.  So many people are texting all day long now.  Text talk is filtering into verbal communication.  It's most often used in the younger crowds.  I like to use the letter " r" rather than spelling out "are" to save time as typing hurts my neck. It's also really hard to type on a tablet. I like to categorize this urban language right in there with wearing your pants bellow the knee and thinking it looks good.  I bet some of this slang will end up in our dictionary one day.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:47:06 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 05:45:49 AM »

What I can't stand is...

All this is ...is a new urban slang that was created due to texting and is used often as a form of language that is accepted as cool in many social groups and cultures.  It is not pure English,  but its important to note its widely accepted and meant to be less formal.  I think people get so use to using it, they forget not everyone talks this way. Its most often used in the younger crowds.  I like to use the letter " r" rather than spelling out "are" to save time as typing hurts my neck. It's also really hard to type on a tablet. I like to categorize this urban language right in there with wearing your pants bellow the knee and thinking it looks good.  I bet some of this slang will end up in our dictionary one day.

I'm aware that it's text slang, however it's not the innaproprate timing/use of the slang that bugs me, it's using lowercase i, lowercase at the beginning of sentences, numbers instead of letters(l33tspeak), and typing LyK DiS, which I get...,often. I mean, I'm typing on a tablet ATM, so I understand shorthand or text speak....but the other stuff really rustles my jimmies. :P

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 06:12:23 AM »

If I had to type like that on a regular basis, I'd wind up taking my own life. :crazy:
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
There seems to be a serious lack in proper grammatical usage quite often, and it's everywhere. (The simple  proper uses of the words: their/they're/there/it/it's/its shouldn't be so puzzling.)
We all make mistakes, but sometimes you just have to shake your head and keep going (so many great examples listed already)... Give me formal language any day, I can't stand all that texting jargon mumbojumbo.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »
I'm not a grammar nazi or anything like that, but one area where bad grammar DOES bother me is fanfiction. When you are seriously trying to write a story and you aren't sure how to spell or word something, look it up. Get some practice. Bad fanfiction is a pet peeve of mine. You can tell the difference between someone who tries and someone who is half-arsed.

But in an eBay auction? Meh, if the idea gets across, then it's fine.

Just because someone can't spell doesn't mean they are stupid. My dad is a very good writer but man he cannot spell. He spells shopping as "shoping" and I tell him my mom and I are going 'shoping' today just to tease him. :P
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal