collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Equestria Girls  (Read 14060 times)

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Equestria Girls
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2013, 05:47:07 AM »
I've done MLP cosplay (obviously humanizing the characters), but I just don't like the designs they picked.  IMO, Rainbow Dash and Applejack should NOT be in miniskirts.  Heck, I don't see why any of them would be in miniskirts except maybe Pinkie Pie.  A friend of mine cosplays Fluttershy and wears capri pants ("If she's taking care of animals all day, she's not wearing a skirt").  I cosplay Twilight Sparkle and I wear a longer skirt, like an office employee or librarian.

The one thing I love about MLP cosplay in particular is that everyone can creatively decide what they think a human version of a character would look like - and there's lots of variety, while still identifiable as the characters.  If there are official human versions, part of me worries that will stifle the creativity in the costumes and they'll be less open to interpretation.

But the brony communities I've seen seem to hate this direction (even though there is lots of artwork of the ponies as people).  I honestly haven't seen too many people delighted with this new idea.  I know that MLP's purpose is to sell toys, but I don't think ponies ought to be humans "for reals".  If it's fanmade stuff, cool.  But as an official direction for the line, I think it's silly.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2013, 07:09:36 AM »
If the show is going to be a typical high-school scenario, you can count me out.

All the teenage scenario's I've witnessed over the years in cartoons and/or tv programs eventually deal with things like dating/boyfriends/proms/drugs/bullying/sex, etc. etc. Nothing wrong with having good stories about those subjects just saying that is the reality.

I'm curious, if they really are gonna focus on teens and adults then what kind of story lines are they going to be doing with the pony-humans? Or at least what exactly is going to be more adult and teen focused in this new show and it's story line?

Just turning them into humans doesn't make the show teen or adult.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2013, 07:14:14 AM »

Just turning them into humans doesn't make the show teen or adult.

^This.

I really want to know where it is exactly they're trying to take this story wise. Getting over the designs for a moment, what exactly are they going to be doing that'll make it more enjoyable for teens? Are human/pony hybrids really the best way to go about this or would a new IP have been the way to go? I think at this point it's obvious Hasbro want to take away some of the success of MH, but I'm really curious to know what plot is going with this.

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2013, 07:32:58 AM »
I think "teen" was the wrong word for them to use because it makes people imagine kids 13+ and I don't believe companies attempt to market fashion dolls to anyone older than 13 these days (exception being toy collectors of all ages). "Tween" was probably a better word for them to use, since that falls in the 8 - 12 market, the age group that young MLP fans will be graduating into, though I guess "teen" sounds cooler and edgier. It doesn't sound like Equestria Girls is going to be a teen drama cartoon like some are saying, and while I'm sure it will handle topics slightly more mature than those on FiM and on par with the older target age group, I doubt that a channel like The Hub is going to edge into subjects like sex or drugs. It wouldn't fit in with the rest of their programming.

That said, they may start a late-night segment geared towards older kids, sort of like what Teen Nick was before it became its own channel. I'm not sure though, since if they were I imagine we would have heard about it by now.

I could be wrong. Maybe they totally plan for Pinkie to be dealing "candy" behind the bleachers.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »
In my opinion Hasbro wants to make this because all the fandom.

I have saw a lot of fan´s drawings of humanized ponies.

So, Hasbro thought, "if they like to draw this, they would love human dolls inspired in the ponies"

Now we don´t like this (I included, I love ponies, the new show scares me, if they decide to make only EG the next years?? I want pony toys!!), but I know that 90 % of the fans will buy dolls of their favourite characters when they are on sale  :lol:  :P

Actually, I visit pony image sites frequently, where all the MLP fanart is posted, and the majority of the fandom does NOT like these versions. It's mostly the skin colors, the clothes, the lack of horns, and because they made Applejack and Rainbow Dash too girly.

When the first version of these girls were leaked, Bronies absolutely HATED it. The new version didn't have quite as much hate because they have more pony parts, but I highly doubt Bronies are going to touch this franchise.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:53:03 AM by StarlightGaze »

PonyAddictedDad

« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »
Seems to me like a remake of Mew Mew Power

Offline U2QueenBee

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
Agree on all the points people have made about lack of diversity in terms of body shapes, clothing styles, etc.  It will certainly be interesting to see how male Bronies react to this, as it will be even harder to avoid the implications of embracing the feminine if/when the characters are shaped like human girls.  /humourlessfeministmodeoff

Also, do they actually still have tails or do they just have reeeeally long hair?  I can't tell from that promo pic.  Some of them seem separate (Rainbow Dash, for example) but then others look like one big joined-up swath of hair (like Applejack.)  And why wings and ears but no horns?  My ancient Glory does not approve.

For the 30th anniversary I'd have liked to have them do, I don't know, G4/FiM of the original six, or some of the more popular ponies across generations - heck, we could give them some metrics on that just from our derbies and polls alone!

Tirac

« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2013, 09:18:35 AM »
They're cute but I stick by what I said to my friend a couple days ago.
If Hasbro wants humans in MLP, just bring back the Williams kids.

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »
Also, do they actually still have tails or do they just have reeeeally long hair?  I can't tell from that promo pic.  Some of them seem separate (Rainbow Dash, for example) but then others look like one big joined-up swath of hair (like Applejack.)  And why wings and ears but no horns?  My ancient Glory does not approve.

Really long hair, and the "tails" are sectioned off in ponytails. As someone else mentioned (I think it was either here or on tumblr), it seems to have been added as an afterthought. Some you can see quite clearly, like Applejack's, while others, like RD and Twilight, were snuck in and don't quite connect.

I'm really hoping the horns are added later. Although I'm gonna guess that the unicorns will channel their magic through their hands or, maybe, a wand that looks like a unicorn horn.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
Maybe they are afraid horns will look too "demonic"?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »
I thought the lack of horns may mess up their hairline as dolls or something.

Offline hellapostalia

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Hello sweetie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »
Maybe they totally plan for Pinkie to be dealing "candy" behind the bleachers.

This mental image made my day. Can't you hear her?
"You know you want some candy. You know you want some candy, BIGTIME!"
:biggrin:

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »
Huge do not want for me! This whole thing makes me sad and a little nauseous. It's wrong on so many levels. I just   :sad:
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Argentum-Zeena

« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »

All the teenage scenario's I've witnessed over the years in cartoons and/or tv programs eventually deal with things like dating/boyfriends/proms/drugs/bullying/sex, etc. etc. Nothing wrong with having good stories about those subjects just saying that is the reality.

Oh, no, I'm not saying such shows are bad, just that they're not my cup of tea! I apologize if I came off as if talking down about teen dramas.

I wonder how the hair will look on dolls. I'd imagine the tail look wouldn't work as well in real life.

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
 :toot:

And now I'm going to walk away. 

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal