collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Equestria Girls  (Read 14052 times)

Tancho

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Equestria Girls
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Whenever I see any "art" of the FiM characters humanised it makes me shudder. I personally think they look horrible and whilst I can appreciate that there are fans that like to see cartoon ponies turned human I couldn't think of anything more ugly! They're supposed to be ponies, not humans, isn't that half the fun?

Moonracer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2013, 01:42:41 PM »
Which is a shame, I always liked the anthro pony art that has Pinkie as short and chubby (goes well with bouncey) and Rarity as tall  and elegant.

Oooh... I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one who likes the idea of anthro Pinkie being chubby (it's not to say that I don't like other version of human!Pinkies, it's just that that particular version is one of my preffered headcannons). :)

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »
No idea if this has been posted yet (I don't feel like sifting through eight pages), but I found this on KnowYourMeme.  Someone edited it to a slightly more ideal representation. 
Altered version on the left and true version on the right:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Dare to compare.
(When I saw this pic on a different site, someone pointed out Twilight's man jaw.  Cannot unsee, and do not want.)

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
I agree, LadyMoondancer (although there's quite a few boots and miniskirts in the first MH line too ;)) I feel like Monster High is aimed at a slightly older audience than the Equestria Girls, though? (Although I know MH has lots of under-8ish fans too, of course.) Have we seen anything that says what EG's target age group is? To me it seems like it'll closer to the Lalaloopsy age group, a bit older, but not as old as MH. Maybe similar to Disney Fairies' audience?

Ya know, I love MH, and if these dolls are anything like MH in terms of being ball-jointed and having new characters, I may be interested. But I don't these to be THE new MLP, ya know? I want ponies to still be made.....new characters mainly. But I cannot lie.....I think they will make pretty dolls if done right. But I don't want this to be  the only MLP line left.

I don't think it will be (I hope it won't be)... I bet there'll always be demand for cute pony toys :biggrin:

They said in a release pre Toy Fair that Equestria Girls [whatever it is] was going to be aimed at teenage girls and older.

Thanks, hathorcat! Hmm, I would not have guessed that at all. They'd best pay serious attention to the execution and detailing, then, if they're setting themselves up to compete directly with MH for the older crowd's attention. Like lots of others have said, the current look of the designs falls short in direct comparison because of the simplicity.

Basically, my 8 year old self is squeeing, but my 12 year old self would not be swayed from MH. Fortunately, my mid-20s self does not have to choose, and can love and have both! XD
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2013, 02:42:51 PM »
Monster High has a "punk rock" edge to it, and I think that it appeals to a specific subset of early teen girls. I agree, Zombelina: As a kid, I wouldn't have given up MH for these Equestria Girls.

It's possible that, even though going for the same gender and age group, Equestria Girls aims for a specific type of girl. The girls who would want these dolls don't shop at Hot Topic. They shop at Forever 21.

(Excuse the pigeonholing... Speculation is hard to resist!)

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
No idea if this has been posted yet (I don't feel like sifting through eight pages), but I found this on KnowYourMeme.  Someone edited it to a slightly more ideal representation. 

Dare to compare.
(When I saw this pic on a different site, someone pointed out Twilight's man jaw.  Cannot unsee, and do not want.)

First people complain that they are too "pretty /girly" and all have the same bodytype and now people complain about Twilight having a "man jaw"?
What the...

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »

First people complain that they are too "pretty /girly" and all have the same bodytype and now people complain about Twilight having a "man jaw"?
What the...

Ehhh. Girls are always wrong in some way. It's society's Thing.

(backcard by Ivy!)

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2013, 02:56:12 PM »
What the...

*shrugs* I don't know.  There's a big possibility that the real issue is that the angle that we're looking at her in is making her look unattractive.  Their heads have a shape similar to that of Monster High, and the complainers want an anime shape.  From the look of things, anyway.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2013, 02:57:05 PM »
I'm not seeing the "man jaw".

But I can't stop staring at Twilight's hair and wondering what the heck it looks like from the back.  "Oh yes, I cut the left half of it at waist length and let the right half grow down to the floor!"  Uh . . .

I think they are going to have to amp up the "fashion forward" and, frankly, the sexiness if they want to appeal to teenage or even preteen girls.  This is one of the reasons I think tying My Little Pony to a fashion doll is rather silly.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »

But I can't stop staring at Twilight's hair and wondering what the heck it looks like from the back.  "Oh yes, I cut the left half of it at waist length and let the right half grow down to the floor!"  Uh . . .

I'm really curious about the back too. I can't seem to picture anything that looks good.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »

Dare to compare.

What the...

I'm liking the edited version a lot better myself. The giant hair won't work with characters who are going to be moving around.

As for the man jaw, concur on the women just can't do things right. But also, I think the original drawing was just off-model for the style that they are trying to emulate. That's why it seems a bit weird. In the edited version, you have the very rounded, young anime face that matches the eyes and such. So I see less man jaw, more face structure that doesn't fit with art style.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
I'm not going to be able to catch up to 9 pages of opinions, but I thought I'd put mine in.

I think these are cute. Some of the art isn't the best... like the modified Twilight Sparkle better, but I like this idea. If they make dolls like this, I am in so much trouble.....

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »
I still reserve judgement until we hear from Hasbro but I can believe these are more real than the last set of images we saw. It really bugs me how they are not human but also not ponies. I wish they would just make a new series instead of a pony spinoff. As I said before ill still reserve full judgement although I'm definately not sold on the idea ;p
~Foxtale~

Offline Suineder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • I talk into the ether sometimes
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2013, 04:59:31 PM »
Can't lie, this gives me a bad feeling right in the pit of my stomach.

But I will give Equestria Girls the benefit of the doubt. I'm not expecting terribly much, but here's looking forward.
And I'll probably get a Fluttershy doll anyway. I just wish she had a longer skirt.

Still, it's a spinoff. Ponies will still be around, not to mention it is kind of fun to watch the usual people on some pony image site freak out.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »
I don't know if I'd watch this -- all comes down to the writing quality -- but I do like the designs overall. The cutie marks look really weird on the cheeks, but otherwise, they're cute. Also the outfits are so detailed there's a lot of room for people to experiment in designing their own, which is a plus.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal