collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it legal to make a cast of a G1 pony mold and customize it?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
Is it legal to make a cast of a G1 pony mold and customize it?
« on: February 27, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »
does anyone know if this is legal or not? I know alot of people have made casts of other g1 pony related things? but I was wondering if lets say I were to find someone to make a cast mold of  tootsies pose and then use it to make customs instead of hurting the original pony.
can anyone give me answers? thanks!!

Cherry_Sunset

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Is it legal to make a cast of a G1 pony mold and customize it?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »
I imagine that it would probably be fine. Besides, it can't cause anymore harm than actually customizing a pony and selling it, can it? If they haven't said no to customizing them, then I'm sure you're fine with casting them. Also, just look at all the stolen fakies, a lot of them have been around for a while with no repercussions.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »
Actaully no, copyrights do not expire, patents yes copyrights no.

It seems to be an accepted practice though to cast Hasbro stuff, so I guess as long as you are not selling it and making a profit Hasbro will not come knocking on your door.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »
I doubt if Hasbro would care, since they don't currently sell G1 ponies.   Actually, there are tons of fakies in Tootsie's body mold.  (Often with a Cabbage Patch Pony head--another of Hasbro's properties!)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
I don't know too much about this stuff... I would guess that technically, it might be illegal, but I doubt Hasbro really cares about one little blip on the radar to come after you. Again, think of stolen-mold fakies and how long they've been around.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:21:42 PM »
Piggy????
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »
thank you guys.

well I was giving tootsies mold as an example, I know crumpets mold, newborn mold, sister mold, and some baby friends already exist.

I am planning on doing a custom contest of g1 pony, and then getting it casted and made for the person who wins, plus have multiples since there is a minimum order and sell them only for what was paid with shipping and costs.

Should I contact hasbro?

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »
Short answer, No.

You don't plan on making tons and selling for a profit? I think you're more like an independent artist offering a few hand made parts from an old toy...
There is a girl here that makes fakie Takara baby ponies and dragons, which I plan on owning a few myself, and she hardly makes a living off them lol
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
I've seen g1 babies cast in ceramic. I think customs are generally permitted and as you said people mold and copy them. As long as you aren't making them for large scale distribution I think you'll be fine. Hasbro has been good to the customs community.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »
Definitely do NOT contact Hasbro.

Hasbro is pretty easygoing as a company and are usually willing to look the other way on fan projects even if they "technically" encroach a little bit.

But if you bring it to their attention they will be forced to say "No", because they definitely can't say "Yes" if they want to protect their brand to the full extent.

This is a case where it's better to ask forgiveness later (if necessary--which it probably won't be) rather than permission.

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
There was that wacky lawsuit against that one plush artist though... just be careful!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »
There was that wacky lawsuit against that one plush artist though... just be careful!

The lady who made the really high quality plushies for hundreds of dollars (I think that is who you are thinking of) was asked to take her commission prices off her public DA profile . . . but Hasbro didn't ask her to stop making plushies.

Really, Hasbro is pretty laidback. 

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »
so do you guys think I should do a go on this contest for the custom ponies? IT will involve the winners pony being actually made, and will be sold for non profit at the con this year and to arena members only.  I will need sponsors on this if possible. I am jotting down ideas now, and will post details on friday.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »
I suppose my question is what are the pros and cons. I can see wanting to customize g1 bases without destroying g1s but I think having them made will probably be excessively expensive. Plus even if you get a mold made there is the question of what material to have them poured in. You'd have to pour and head and body separately to rehair them but depending on the material the plugs in the g1 heads require a certain amount of maliability to be worked with. So a hard material may not actually work for customizing purposes. But if you get something too flimsey it won't be able to withstand anything but a simple repaint. And although simple reprints do alter the original pony there are enough baity ponies with symbols and eyes too far gone for restoration that I feel would make better candidates for baits since the pony itself is not actually destroyed.

In addition, financially if you do enter a questionable area all of your backers will also be liable. And if you are talking about mass production getting enough support for a specific pose may be difficult since g1 customs aren't as common as g3 and 4 and when they are done its a pretty wide rang. I think there would be a market for boy blanks because they are more rare and the customizing community is generally opposed to messing with them even if they are pretty baity. But otherwise I think you are going to have a small market.

That being said I love contests! They are fun and blanks would be an awesome prize. I'm just worried about the logistics here.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:38:41 PM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 10:43:12 PM »
Well I see your point. But I wouldn't give a blank pony as a prize. The actual pony the artist made with permission would be the pony cloned and then produced to be given away at the fair (for the price I paid for them of course. No profit). I will look more into this. Brother ponies maybe an interesting approach. But I was also thinking more on the line of a unicorn.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal