collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Soo..What got you into ponies? (Story post)  (Read 2619 times)

SailorSonazaki1995

• Trade Count: (0)
Soo..What got you into ponies? (Story post)
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:19:40 AM »
It's kind of a question towards some new and old members :) Plus I was willing to share my story with all of you  :relaxed:

It was around the year 2006, I was in the 5th grade, possibly around 10 or 11 years old. (And thus starting my Supernatural obsession  :devious:) I was digging through some old toys of mine to sell at a yard sale. While digging through the old backpack I found Tink-A-Tink-Too and Blossomforth! Out of memory, I knew they were called My Little Pony! That moment pretty much sparked my interest for collecting ponies, but I still had a knack for collecting porclian unicorns  :blush:...A few days later we took a trip to a thrift store , which was once a Wal-Mart, however, the thrift store was no longer there and the building was recently turned into a Dollar Tree. But back to the subject, anyway. Browsing through the toys with my mother I spotted a peculiar looking purple unicorn, Princess Misty. Her wand, her ribbon, and her tiara still inside the plastic Ziploc bag. I took it off the shelf, poor thing had almost all her tinsel cut off. My sister then took notice, then she told me that My Little Pony was something she used to collect back in the 80's. So, the one I was about to purchase was a G1! :) Then that started my collection! Years went on by, I joined a site (no longer in existence) called "My Little Pony Collectors" I met a friend named Marcy and we started talking about Naruto, Supernatural, Ponies, etc.

Leaving 6th grade, I realized the site was no longer in service, so I migrated to YouTube to pass some time. I watched all the old MLP commercials, advertisements and episodes! Then before I knew it, I almost had 100 G1 ponies! I also purchased G3 ponies from Wal-Mart :D!  I lucked out on antique stores, Yard Sales, Thrift Stores, Goodwill, and Ebay!  In 2010 I was losing interest in ponies, I even got rid of  my Dream Castle to make some money...  Then Friendship is Magic came out, re-kindling my love for ponies, and elated that they made a new Gen of ponies for years to come! I admit I was getting sick of the g3.5 ponies, so this was a new love for me.

I also admit I'm not big G4 fan, but thanks to it, my love for My Little Pony began again!  Even though it angers me when I see hate on Youtube videos about g1s and g3s and other sites against the Older Gens like it's some sort of horrible plague, that's kinda like putting a rusty fork through my only interest that keeps me content and happy.  But things like that shouldn't bother me, as long as I got my pony family with me here and on this forum, I'm happy 

:redface:

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
Re: Soo..What got you into ponies? (Story post)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »
I had few ponied back in the 80's but, I can only remember like 3 of them. I was not very careful with my ponies, I was kind of a country kid and things got left out or destroyed. I always tell people they lost a fight with a lawn mower. Fast forward to last year, I found out My Little Pony was back. I found that I really liked the new ponies compared to G2-G3.5. So, my interest in them came back. I started rebuying G1s I knew I had as a kid and G4 because I like them. I found that collecting was finally a hobby I could do that has been helping my depression. So, now I am in full blown collecting mode.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Jeremiah 29:11 - God has a plan for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »
Having always loved horses (and being an artist who loves colorful things), what can a little girl do but love My Little Pony? After my first few ponies, my mom gave my cousin of similar age a G3 Valenshy. The rest is history; she and I played with ponies for years until I moved. She still has them all (we were both gentle with our girls), although I don't think she's really into collecting anymore. :(

Thanks to Storm.Runner for my avatar and SDS for my sig!
Painted LaceMelody RoseJuniper JoyStarlily

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »
Having 10 ponies as an 80's child then realizing how many more there were via the internet in '99 and finally convincing Dad to make me an evilbay account in '01, then getting a car in '02 which led to thrifting (and the eventual end of evilbay usage)... A few years later the arena... it all has kind of fallen into place step by step, but they've been around my whole life.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:53:01 PM »
Well I had G1 Minty for a few years, but I wasn't into collecting it just didn't hit me until like 2 years ago.

I was at work (retail store bleh) and I found this .. Well I didn't really know what it was I assumed it was a weird doggy at first, but I put it in lost and found, 2 weeks later it ended up back on a cart I was working.. Like it was haunting me... So I decided to take her home and put her on my dresser. lol Anyway This little Rainbow haired Thing turned out to be a pony, to me I was still like what?  at that point I started to see more FIM fan art surfacing and thats when I Realized that "Thing" was "Rainbow Dash" a McDonalds toy.  Eventually I began spending too much time looking at this art and  thinking dang.. I like them..

Well around August 2011 I was putting toys on the shelf and I find this Pinkie Pie Fashion Style.. I smile and think Eh that's cute.. I'll just buy it.  I bought all the FS ponies after that (Even got my hands on an Applejack) then I started buying the 4 inch brushables.. started surfing for G3's because they were my favorite before I really knew what FIM was, eventually I started searching ponies like crazy that's when I realized my Minty was a Pony from 1980's. My mouth dropped I had no idea she was that old!!

So yea since then I've been collecting, but I hit a rough spot last summer and ended up selling all but 2 of my G3's I had like 80 of them =( but I realized I like my G1 and G4's so much more.. I miss my G3's but hey things happen lol.. and Now I'm rambling.

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:06:14 PM »
I'll keep mine short:

The pony bug bit me when, by chance, I saw the first My Little Pony special (AKA Rescue at Midnight Castle) in September 1984.  I was enthralled!  I got my first pony that Christmas.

Rediscovered ponies in 1998 when I found a childhood grail, Seashell, at a rummage sale.  I still remember digging through a basket and finding her!  I'm sure there are some children of the 80s here who understand what it is like to finally get your hands on a pony you've wanted since 1984 . . . the ecstasy!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
Well mine is really easy! I loved horses and they were in the horse family :)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »
I was about 5 and G3's were still fairly new. I saw a commercial for them (One of the old creepy ones with the 3D ponies!) and it was around November maybe, asked everyone for one for christmas. xD I got the Cotton Candy Cafe with Starswirl, Cotton Candy, Meadow Brooke, and Sparkleworks. Then I got Snowflake from "Santa" and Kimono from my Japan obsessed uncle. xD I played the hell outta those things. Don't have my pony houses anymore but I have those six still, and my collection grew from there. I have about 155 now or so... So I've been collecting since I was 5. xD

I collect every generation except G3.5 now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:23:36 PM by Kingsly »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:17:34 PM »
Well, a few friends at another forum was talking about MLP G3 and I got curious. Then I saw a Sing n Dance Pinkie Pie, got curiouser and bought it. Next thing I knew I had an army of G3 Pinkie Pies in my room.

As for how I got into G4, well, I found a FS Fluttershy and fell in love with it...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:20:49 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »
I posted this in another thread awhile back so I'm just going to quote myself :)

I had some G3s when I was little as well as a G2 McPony but having them when I was little is not what drove me into collecting. Like many other new collectors, G4 got me into collecting. I'm a huge fan of the show and I consider myself a Brony. I was at Target one day and I saw the little G4 ponies and I decided that I wanted to get my own little Fluttershy and Rarity so I did  On the car ride home, I decided that I wanted my own Mane 6 and after that, I wanted all the G4 ponies that appeared in the show. Once I got all of those, I was "done" with collecting. I had no interest in collecting the other generations, until recently when I decided that I want the G3 versions of the Mane 6 and now I'm also in the process of collecting my childhood ponies. In addition to that, when I saw Baby Stocking as the Pony of the Day, I decided that I needed her because she's so cute

I would also like to add that I've gone from only getting my G3 childhood ponies to collecting all the G3s.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »
mine was pretty cool.
My grandma had some that she always let me play with..
I had some of my own but put them away for a long time.
eventually someone got me into g4 again.

So mines pretty lame.. but i still love em.

Offline DannyAzazel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »
My friend had some G2s back when I was young but the only thing I remembered from them was one of those fences with the rainbows.

But a friend of mine (Tilas) started doing customs and posted them on her website when I visited frequently (before we started talking) and I sorta fell in love with them. I hid my liking of them for years, never bought any or anything. I was a tomboy all through growing up and I didn't want my family to give me crap for suddenly being "girly". Then Friendship is Magic came out, Tilas showed it to me, and I enjoyed it. It finally got me to open up more about my love for MLP, since many others did the same. I only recently started to buy more pony stuff though.

Honestly it's still a little awkward for me but my dad never questions it so that makes it easier. G3s are probably my favorite because it's how I fell in love with them.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
I had few ponied back in the 80's but, I can only remember like 3 of them. I was not very careful with my ponies, I was kind of a country kid and things got left out or destroyed. I always tell people they lost a fight with a lawn mower. Fast forward to last year, I found out My Little Pony was back. I found that I really liked the new ponies compared to G2-G3.5. So, my interest in them came back. I started rebuying G1s I knew I had as a kid and G4 because I like them. I found that collecting was finally a hobby I could do that has been helping my depression. So, now I am in full blown collecting mode.

I find it helps with my depression, too! I've suffered with it since I was very young (probably about 4) but of course noone knew what it was...I was just a weird maladjusted kid. The ponies were something lovely and magical and I could learn to be creative and positive through them. I collected them all the way through most of high school, but stopped when they quit making them (the G1's anyway) until a month ago. I'd completely forgotten how happy they had made me until my father gave me Seashell and Bubbles for Christmas. I'd alwqays wanted them and when I opened the present I actually started crying with joy! I'd NEVER been that happy. I just wanted that feeling to continue...

Offline blonde2themax

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 08:42:27 PM »
I'd have to say my parents honestly.  I don't quite remember what exactly what went down but, I have some pictures of me as a 5 yr old with ponies.  So I'm guessing they bought them for me. I always had a thing for horses, Pegasus, and unicorns so MLP makes sense.
Thanks Shenanigans for my sig & Sirithfin for my profile pic :D!
My Sales Page :D!http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,319444.msg580218.html#msg580218
My G3 and Season Swap Wishlisthttp://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327117.new.html#new

SeaStar777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »
I had ponies when I was a little girl. My absolute favorite was SS Scrumptious. Ponies and Treasure Trolls were my Barbie dolls. I never liked Barbie (my G. I. Joes would go on secret mission to kill them LOL) As I grew up, through the influence of my parents, I started moving away from my childhood toys and gave my ponies to my little sister. Years later (just a few years back now) as an adult I was walking through Toys R Us and saw some G3's sitting on the shelves. I read the My Little Pony logo on their boxes and got very excited. At the time I had no idea they still made my favorite childhood toy! I purchased a few of the ponies there on the shelves that day. Through a little online research, I found out that not only were they still making MLP but there were web communities dedicated to fans and collectors of them! Excitement hit me again hard. I joined the communities and have been a collector ever since. I love our MLP communities here & the MLP TP. I've learned so much about this world, and hope I'm still here and collecting when I'm 80!

P. S. Once my little sister found out I was collecting MLP, she gave me back my childhood ponies. I cried that day. They sit on the top shelf of my collection case today. :cry:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal