collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The stories our ponies could tell us!  (Read 449 times)

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
The stories our ponies could tell us!
« on: February 25, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »
I live in the US and I got a package in the mail today from Sweden and one from the UK containing some gorgeous ponies for my collection.  My husband was intrigued with looking at the boxes they were shipped in and examining the stamps on them from customs.  That got me to thinking about the journeys our ponies take to get to us.  There is a really good chance that some of our ponies were world travelers before joining us especially if they have been in collecting circles for several years and have been passed back and forth.  I wish they could talk and tell us the places they've been and the things they've seen.  Unfortunately for my ponies I am a completist collector who must have it all, so if a pony comes into my house they don't leave again unless I have a minty upgrade.  Still it's fun to think about the adventures they've had!  Anyone else ever though about this?   

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The stories our ponies could tell us!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
Very much so  :)  I'm in New Zealand and I find it intriguing when auctions for non US release ponies come up on our local auction site from non-known pony collectors. How did they end up here?  :)   I recently got my long awaited white star Milky Way in a scruffy lot, and I've picked up NSS Wind Whistler and NSS Buttons and Baby Bowtie in another a long time ago. Did they come with kids who migrated here? Were they sent as presents?  You're right - if only they could talk, eh?  :)

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:07:20 AM »
I think this every time I get a new pony!  Especially if they hail from another country

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:42:58 AM »
I was in an antique store last summer and one booth had ponies- they had taken good care of them, and they were packaged with accessories. And there, in the middle of Minnesota, was Baby Billy, a UK exclusive. The man who owned the booth was actually there, but he didn't know how Billy got here. I left her for another collector (he was charging collector's prices, and I already have Billy) but I will always wonder about her journey.

I did take a pony to a "psychic" once. It was Lil Tot, and since there are stories that for every Lil Tot you bought a terminally ill child got one too, my Lil Tot had a 50/50 chance of something tragic happening to her owner. My friend was learning to be a psychic, so I figured it would be fun for everyone.
She told me that Lil Tot had belonged to a happy home, she didn't see any death while LT was in the home, and she also told me that the ponies, all of them, are happy to be somewhere where they are appreciated.
She said it wasn't as strong a feeling as she gets from animals, but that the goodness of a happy home rubs off on them.
That might not really be related, but I love telling that story.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:07:19 AM »
Aurora:  That is a beautiful thing to do, and professional psychics "can" get a read on objects and tell ya what the previous owner was like and all that (If you believe)

Cricket: It is something to think about! I often wonder bout the ponies I get in lots with their hair a mess and dirty.. It makes me wonder if they had belonged to a child and was just tossed to the side, Ya know like most toys, but as I'm cleaning them up I can feel a smile... I know that makes me sound crazy but when you put love and effort into anything you can always feel some sort of love coming from it..

:blush:

pixieponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:46:57 AM »
i like to think my old ponies are still out there somewhere, they have probably been customized as i remember getting scissors to a few manes  :blush: or maybe they found a collector and have been restored  :hope:

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »
I used to wonder that too! When I was younger, I used to imagine my ponies are like Toy Story and when I can't find a pony supposed to be in my collection, I'd assume she ran off to save another toy or she's gone out to explore Singapore. Most of my ponies came off ebay and majority are from the USA, so the ponies mostly travel a long way to get here. Sometimes the packaging material makes me wonder what treatment the ponies went through.

One time, I had a pony come in a sanity pad box, and you kind of wonder what your pony was mixed with. :P Or some are really dirty like they dug themselves out of an industrial pit. Needless to say, there are also the ponies that arrive looking like Lady Gaga, and you know some kid was being too creative for the pony's liking.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
That's so fun to think about! It's fun thinking of how a dirty pony was played with and all the love and adventures she got. I give my minty ponies a little extra love because they may have missed some of those experiences. XD

A little off topic, but a few years ago I sold a BJD overseas and sent her new owner a mini passport which listed all the places that I knew the doll has "lived" in. If she ever sells her, it'd be pretty cool if everyone kept "track" of where she has been in her little passport LOL.

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
Not only that but it would be fun to see the kids that had them originally.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

pixieponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »
the passport idea is great. i just hope someone out there is loving my childhood collection, especially Gypsy, like i used to  :cry:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »
I have thought about this sometimes as well :) As you say especially when you are buying from a fellow collector as often that pony may have come from another collector and perhaps a different collector before then who bought it from the other side of the world! You never know...its very cool to think about it.

I am sure combined a lot of our collections have very very impressive air miles :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »
I do wonder about this some times as I have ponies from Argentina , Italy , UK, Germany, and some dutch ones.  I do wonder where they have been and I always love to have new faces in the herd.

hey I was wondering if we could do a kinda traveling pony thing?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:26:25 PM by invaderhorizongreen »

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »
I've always thought the same thing! I love buying ponies from others because of that. Like you though, once a pony comes to my house they don't leave again UNLESS IT'S IN A BODY BAG MWAHAHAH I'm joking I'm not morbid.

I don't do mint upgrades though so they just come here and retire. I'd like to think that if they were alive they'd amaze all my other ponies with their fantastic tales and campfire stories.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
I do wonder about this some times as I have ponies from Argentina , Italy , UK, Germany, and some dutch ones.  I do wonder where they have been and I always love to have new faces in the herd.

hey I was wondering if we could do a kinda traveling pony thing?

They have been done before - there was a DJ [here is an old thread on her - http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/printertopic=1/t=244578/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html] - but if I remember rightly she either got lost or the process ended unexpectedly. Its possible but you really need to stay on top of it and ensure everyone who commits stays committed.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »
I love re-using envelopes and boxes when I ship ponies. So many will adorn the packaging with stickers and doodles it's gotta amuse the post office. Yeah, there are lots of ponies that have saw more of the world than I have.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal