collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Differences between NSS and deflocks?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
Differences between NSS and deflocks?
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:01:33 PM »
Hi all - I was just wondering about some differences between NSS ponies (the ones released outside the US) and deflocked ponies... or even the normal release ponies (Cherries Jubilee, Posey) and their deflocked SS counterparts...

Specifically, I was wondering about:

Posey
Lickety Split
Heart Throb
Gusty
North Star
Shady
Surprise
Cherries Jubilee

I know that Wind Whistler is completely different deflocked vs the NSS version, who is lighter and has multiple colored whistles... and Magic Star who is in a different pose than the flocked version of Magic Star... And I do have a NSS Posey who's got magenta tulips... is that the same as when you deflock a SS Posey?
I know that ones with glittery symbols obviously wouldn't have glitter on a deflocked version - such as the NSS version of Surprise (released normally in the US Yr 3 - had glittery balloons) - but are the balloons metallic under? Or solid colored?

I'm just wondering basically if I should deflock these ponies for my DEFLOCKED SS collection... or if having a NSS version would warrant the exact same pony (like North Star? I feel like NSS North Star would be exactly the same as a deflocked one?)

Thank you :)
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline bbassel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Differences between NSS and deflocks?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
I asked this a little bit ago and was told that the colours are more vibrant on deflocked ponies and that most of the times you can see some flocking residue. I am curious as to what others would say as well because I have six ponies I am contemplating deflocking myself : ) It is hard work though..tried it years ago without a lot of luck lol..

Offline Goldilocks

• Romance Pony
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
I'd love to see comparison pics of SS vs NSS...

The deflocking process sounds very difficult, otherwise I'd be sooo eager to try to get some nice non-flocked ponies :)
wanted G1 WEDDING/LOVE pony accessories and merchandise, ARGIE GREEN TRULY, ARGIE PEARLY-PAINTED NOVIA:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,299645.0.html
trades:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,299649.msg252302.html#msg252302

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:13:53 PM »
I personally LOVE deflocking. It's not so bad once you do a few, but is time consuming.

I was wondering mostly because I have some baity SS's of these "regular" ponies, but I won't deflock them if they're exactly the same...

I'm pretty sure North Star is the same, as I mentioned... I'm guessing that Posey might have darker tulips than the normal NSS release in the US, but are they magenta like the NSS one? I dunno...

I don't own NSS Wind Whistler, I do have a deflocked one... but I do have Magic Star in NSS and deflocked, and I really don't think there are any color differences between them, just pose, but I've never compared those two side by side because of the obvious differences...

Ah well, I would LOVE to see side by side pictures of some of these girls, like a NSS Lickety Split and a Deflocked Lickety Split, or Surprise or Gusty... something like that. :)

My Want List

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:01:49 PM »
I don't have the Euro NSS versions to compare to but perhaps a picture of a deflocked Posey will help a little?  The flocking on this one was so nasty, what remained of it had to come off. 

(I still haven't decided what to do about her cut hair.)

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:05:14 PM »
I don't have the Euro NSS versions to compare to but perhaps a picture of a deflocked Posey will help a little?  The flocking on this one was so nasty, what remained of it had to come off. 

(I still haven't decided what to do about her cut hair.)

Okay wow! So she does have magenta tulips... that looks A LOT like the NSS one I bought from a friend... hmmm so maybe deflocked ones that were also made as NSS look similar then... I don't know all who was made as a "NSS" version outside of the US though... I've only heard of Magic Star, Shady, North Star, Posey... were the rest of them?

I know now all the SS ponies were made into NSS - like obviously there wasn't an NSS Angel or Twilight anywhere, right? I have seen like the Brazillian NSS Paradise and NSS Twist, but - I'm mostly trying to focus on the more "common" Euro release NSS ponies vs. US SS or deflocked US SS ponies or regular versions of the SS ponies vs deflocks... hmmm

But yes that picture sheds a lot of light for me, thank you for sharing!! I think she's lovely, you should rehair her for sure (I would!)

So, I probably should've posted this first, but here are my three Euro NSS Girls:

As you can see, Posey is quite similar...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:15:57 PM by SunshinePony »

My Want List

Offline Breyer600

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »
Glad that helps!  I'm definitely leaning towards a rehair, but I'm thinking of giving her an alternate color like green or a brighter pink to match her tulips (or both!).

No, not all the SS ponies have NSS counterparts, and several that do are nirvanas.  Other than the ones that had US NSS versions as well, I only know of Magic Star (alternate pose), North Star, Shady, Buttons (two versions - three buttons or five buttons with stars), and Wind Whistler as having common Euro NSS releases. 

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:02 PM »
Glad that helps!  I'm definitely leaning towards a rehair, but I'm thinking of giving her an alternate color like green or a brighter pink to match her tulips (or both!).

No, not all the SS ponies have NSS counterparts, and several that do are nirvanas.  Other than the ones that had US NSS versions as well, I only know of Magic Star (alternate pose), North Star, Shady, Buttons (two versions - three buttons or five buttons with stars), and Wind Whistler as having common Euro NSS releases.

Alright, thanks! That's my list too, with the addition of Posey... That's the only ones I have listed as well. So I'm missing Buttons (both) and Shady and Wind Whistler I believe... hrm! I'd love to see differences - is the US SS Version of buttons have 3 or 5 buttons deflocked?

My Want List

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 06:19:20 AM »
I don't think there are many differences. I remember someone said once that the eyeliner is different on a NSS.... But I really have never noticed that kind of thing.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:15 AM »
I don't think there are many differences. I remember someone said once that the eyeliner is different on a NSS.... But I really have never noticed that kind of thing.

Well... hmm that might be worth deflocking someone common like a SS Posey to see if there are any subtle differences... so the deflocks are going to be very similar to the NSS Euro releases is what I'm gathering... basically, they were ponies made by the factory that just, didn't get the flocking (no flocking sent over to Europe from China? lol) At least, that's how I'm thinking it in my mind... Wind Whistler is an interesting exception to that - why she's got multicolored whistles and a lighter body as a Euro release vs. NSS is weird... I also think the pose change for Magic Star was unnecessary... she stands beautifully when deflocked, and looks great in that rearing pose, lol :)

I was still wondering about ponies like Heart Throb and Surprise... who had regular releases and SS releases - if I were to deflock someone who was released "normally" with a glittery symbol, and then has other releases elsewhere that are metallic painted symbols... are the symbols underneath the flocked version just... matte? Like, Surprise's balloons... are they a matte dark purple color if I deflock her? Same with Gusty - are her leaves just... not metallic?

Do you think there's any reason to deflock a Lickety Split??

Thanks for all the insight!

My Want List

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »

Well... hmm that might be worth deflocking someone common like a SS Posey to see if there are any subtle differences... so the deflocks are going to be very similar to the NSS Euro releases is what I'm gathering... basically, they were ponies made by the factory that just, didn't get the flocking (no flocking sent over to Europe from China? lol) At least, that's how I'm thinking it in my mind... Wind Whistler is an interesting exception to that - why she's got multicolored whistles and a lighter body as a Euro release vs. NSS is weird... I also think the pose change for Magic Star was unnecessary... she stands beautifully when deflocked, and looks great in that rearing pose, lol :)

I was still wondering about ponies like Heart Throb and Surprise... who had regular releases and SS releases - if I were to deflock someone who was released "normally" with a glittery symbol, and then has other releases elsewhere that are metallic painted symbols... are the symbols underneath the flocked version just... matte? Like, Surprise's balloons... are they a matte dark purple color if I deflock her? Same with Gusty - are her leaves just... not metallic?

Yes- de-flocked ponies do not have the special finishes (metallic or glittery)
Here's a pic of de-flocked Gusty from strawberryreef.com 

Here's a pic I found from someone on tumbler ( http://g1mlp.tumblr.com/post/18046498122/gorgeous-deflocked-so-softs-deflocked-paradise) who deflocked a whole bunch

Here is an ancient archived discussion and some pictures http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=1720188.html  THere seems to be some discussion of eyeliner different for Truly and Cupcake - but I honestly can't see a difference.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:41:28 AM by Galactica »

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 10:01:41 AM »
Those are cool :)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 11:11:01 AM »

Yes- de-flocked ponies do not have the special finishes (metallic or glittery)
Here's a pic of de-flocked Gusty from strawberryreef.com 

Here's a pic I found from someone on tumbler ( http://g1mlp.tumblr.com/post/18046498122/gorgeous-deflocked-so-softs-deflocked-paradise) who deflocked a whole bunch

Here is an ancient archived discussion and some pictures http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=1720188.html  THere seems to be some discussion of eyeliner different for Truly and Cupcake - but I honestly can't see a difference.

Very nice, thanks!! I do like the look of the matte finish Gusty... thank you so much for sharing this. I guess I didn't dig deep enough when looking, totally didn't see those pictures (well I think I saw someone else on Strawberry Reef but, sometimes the photos are so small...)

My Want List

Offline Breyer600

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »
To answer your question about Buttons - the SS has three buttons:

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
To answer your question about Buttons - the SS has three buttons:

Thank you! Simply beautiful! Wow :)

My Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal