collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion 15  (Read 35798 times)

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
Re: Monster High Discussion 15
« Reply #1290 on: March 14, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »
I don't think my prices for the dolls I'm selling are really all that outrageous. I took the price I paid, added $10 for a finders fee and gas. (I live 30 mins to an hour from any stores.) Then I looked up what they've been selling for on ebay and took that into consideration as well. Keep in mind that this is all for the ones I have up on ebay. If I were to sell to someone on here I'd probably be a little more flexible.

This is what I have up on ebay right now and their prices:

Scary Tales Clawdeen: $43
PD Cleo: $35
Entire set of wave 2 Dead Tired: $60

I don't think those prices are outrageous. What does everyone else think?

its just your timing,
 i think your prices are  resonable, your prices are still less than some  of dolls being offered  on ebay right now.  But as some one else mentioned alot of those dolls  are high in stock in local stores right now,  not really HTF so  it's really only worth it to some one who can't find those right now.. that said,  if you hold on to em for a few months  they might go up or you will for sure get sales..

scarey tales is already getting phased out, i see way  less of those in my targets,  and dt wave 2 i don't expect to be around that much longer with rumors of dt wave 3 on the way.

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 07:24:04 PM

i'd say if you don't want to hang on to them and you need the $$ to return to stores.

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 07:26:48 PM

I think all (ALL) collections are a fickle thing in means of an 'Investment'. If I were to invest my money, I'd buy gold coins, stock/shares or diamond rings. ;)
But stuff like toys, models, most art (unless by Picasso or Dali or Gogh,...) are subject to how many other people in the world do want just THAT given thing at THAT given time. It's no guarantee. Never. Never ever.
Even Gil or SDCC dolls might be worthless in a couple of years, so.. I wouldn't buy them with the intention to sell them for profit in the long run. :|

aroa678: I think some people just enjoy the detailed way MH packaging is designed and want to preserve that for their collection, yet also want to play/touch their dolls.. thus they decide to buy doubles. ^^
I myself am by no means a MIB collector, yet I decided to get doubles of ST Clawdeen and the PowerGhouls. Since I LOVE their packaging and want to keep that to look at time and time again, but also want to play and style that dolls. :)
this is totally why my dolls are MIB!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:26:48 PM by mistic_imp »

animal_lover

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1291 on: March 14, 2013, 07:26:57 PM »
I just want to say that by no means do I strictly buy MH just to sell them. I feel like I'm giving off the wrong impression. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying. I buy MH because I like them and I have a collection of my own. But there are a handful I've bought to use as trades or to sell off. I just don't want everyone to think I'm just in it for money or something because I'm not. Lol

Second, a lot of you are saying these dolls are still really common. Which is fine, but I think that depends on the area. All of those dolls were the only ones of those kind that I've found in my stores at the time. It wasn't until a week or 2 later that I've only seen one other ST clawdeen, and only 1 threaderella (which i ended up buying :lol:) I've never seen ST draculaura. Only one other PD cleo, and maybe one whole other set of DT. That's it. It's not like the shelves are covered in them around here.

I know area doesn't really matter when you're selling on ebay, I just wanted to throw it out there.  :)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #1292 on: March 14, 2013, 07:30:25 PM »
I don't think my prices for the dolls I'm selling are really all that outrageous. I took the price I paid, added $10 for a finders fee and gas. (I live 30 mins to an hour from any stores.) Then I looked up what they've been selling for on ebay and took that into consideration as well. Keep in mind that this is all for the ones I have up on ebay. If I were to sell to someone on here I'd probably be a little more flexible.

I think a $10 finders fee is pretty steep, honestly. These are dolls that are still pretty common in stores, or else they were released in large enough numbers that most of the people who wanted them have all had a chance to get them. So I don't see many people being willing to pay such a huge markup. If you live an hour from a store, it seems like a pretty bad idea financially to spend 2 hours driving to buy current common dolls that aren't worth much money. For almost all of the MH dolls that are worth money, it is because they are older release dolls. You are trying to do an instant turnaround and expecting people to pay far more than market value. It just doesn't make sense. Even if you DO sell them you would be making a minuscule profit.  I just don't think it makes sense financially for someone who doesn't have extra income to be spending hundreds of dollars and hours of time on a very unstable and unreliable venture.

You've asked for our advice a few times before but I suppose it's within your rights to not take it.  Carry on doing what you want, in the end it's your money and they're your dolls. Hope you enjoy them!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #1293 on: March 14, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »
If the prices sound reasonable to someone in a different area, they will buy them.  Otherwise, they won't.   That's really the best indicator.  I hope it works out for you.

animal_lover

« Reply #1294 on: March 14, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »
I do have kind of high shipping on them but I'd rather it be more than enough and refund the buyer the difference than have to pay out of pocket for shipping because I didn't put it high enough.

I tend to do that a lot. It sucks.   >_<

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #1295 on: March 14, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »
I just want to say that by no means do I strictly buy MH just to sell them. I feel like I'm giving off the wrong impression. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying. I buy MH because I like them and I have a collection of my own. But there are a handful I've bought to use as trades or to sell off. I just don't want everyone to think I'm just in it for money or something because I'm not. Lol

Second, a lot of you are saying these dolls are still really common. Which is fine, but I think that depends on the area. All of those dolls were the only ones of those kind that I've found in my stores at the time. It wasn't until a week or 2 later that I've only seen one other ST clawdeen, and only 1 threaderella (which i ended up buying :lol:) I've never seen ST draculaura. Only one other PD cleo, and maybe one whole other set of DT. That's it. It's not like the shelves are covered in them around here.

I know area doesn't really matter when you're selling on ebay, I just wanted to throw it out there.  :)
i don't think that :)
 I think it is perfectly fine to buy extra dolls and sell them,  after all some one might be looking for 'em..  soo i think it is a HELP  to collectors and even children who's parents cant find dolls...so long as your not buying them all up and hoarding dolls  so no one can find any LOL.. ( that would be scalping to me then)

It really does depend on  a persons area what is common or not.. honestly i haven't seen a scarey tales clawdeen at my targets in a LOOOONG  time..   they are being replaced with powerghouls.   i have only see ST draculaura 1 time.. i am kicking my self for not buying her , but i can't buy everything i would run out of room and $$ LOL

i also don't think your prices are  that outrageous because of the amount of $$ i spend on gas driving around, looking for the dang dolls, it is almost cheaper just to just buy them from some one who has the one I want .
 but  the others  do  have a point..
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:36:56 PM by mistic_imp »

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #1296 on: March 14, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »

Just because you're 30-60 minutes away from a place that sells MH doesn't mean everyone else is - I can travel 20 minutes from my house and hit two Walmarts, two Targets, and a TRU, and if I'm going to be hunting for dolls for my own collection, there's no reason for me to charge people extra money for gas that I would have used anyway.  And those people who are further away could understandably spend what you're charging as a "finders fee" on shipping and buy all of these common dolls online at regular retailers.

Area isn't so important as is timing.  ST has been out since summer.  Those people who want them have them already, and they weren't all that difficult to find even when they were first released.  PD has been out for a couple of months now and are shelf-warmers at this point.  The shelves aren't covered with them because they're not selling - the stores aren't going to stock more because they're not incredibly sought after, and people aren't really buying them because they're not brandspanking new.  Unless you plan on holding onto them for a year or so, they're not worth buying with the intention to sell at a profit at this point.

faunabay

« Reply #1297 on: March 14, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »
I do have kind of high shipping on them but I'd rather it be more than enough and refund the buyer the difference than have to pay out of pocket for shipping because I didn't put it high enough.

I tend to do that a lot. It sucks.   >_<
I completely understand wanting to charge enough to cover the shipping costs.  For me as a ebay buyer though if I see a larger than average shipping charge on an item I usually pass on it.   Just my two cents.....  :blush:

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 14, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »
I know you want to help everyone out and all, and it's great that you do!

If you know what some people are looking for and you pick up a few extras to help, that'll help both sides. You help someone find what they're looking for, and they pay you for getting what they need!

But if you buy a couple dolls and not know if anyone is looking for them, that can be a little risky in case there isn't anyone looking to buy them, then you'll be stuck having stock you can't sell.

As nice and great as it is to try and help each other out, if money is a problem, then there are times you may need to step back and not spend money to help out. Me for example: I know there are a lot of people here who are looking for Swimline Venus, and I see her in stores whenever I go shopping and I go: "Oh hey, (insert arena members' name here) said she was looking for Swimline Venus, there's one right here!", but I myself don't have the money to buy it to help them, so I usually have to walk away, not buying it. Helping each other is a wonderful thought, but when it affects your wallet, there are times when you'll have to say no to purchases, no matter how tempting they are. :P

There are a lot of people who post their want lists and some that are currently buying, so just my two cents, you can look through people's lists and remember and when you're shopping and come across what someone might be looking for, and have the money, you can pick it up and contact them if they're still searching. And keeping the receipt helps too, in case it doesn't work out.
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

animal_lover

« Reply #1299 on: March 14, 2013, 07:57:20 PM »

I think a $10 finders fee is pretty steep, honestly. These are dolls that are still pretty common in stores, or else they were released in large enough numbers that most of the people who wanted them have all had a chance to get them. So I don't see many people being willing to pay such a huge markup. If you live an hour from a store, it seems like a pretty bad idea financially to spend 2 hours driving to buy current common dolls that aren't worth much money. For almost all of the MH dolls that are worth money, it is because they are older release dolls. You are trying to do an instant turnaround and expecting people to pay far more than market value. It just doesn't make sense. Even if you DO sell them you would be making a minuscule profit.  I just don't think it makes sense financially for someone who doesn't have extra income to be spending hundreds of dollars and hours of time on a very unstable and unreliable venture.

You've asked for our advice a few times before but I suppose it's within your rights to not take it.  Carry on doing what you want, in the end it's your money and they're your dolls. Hope you enjoy them!

I get where you're coming from and I appreciate the advice everyone has  given me but I'm pretty sure I asked for the advice after the fact of buying the dolls. I remember writing the post on my phone while I was in the store, and I went ahead and bought them thinking if worst came to worst I could try to return them and get my money back. I realize that was my choice, and it was a mistake. But that's how we learn. Now I know selling MH isn't really the best route to take if you're trying to make money. That's all! Lesson learned!

I apologize if I'm coming off as ungrateful for everyone's help or whiney because my plan to remedy my financial situation a bit isn't quite going as I planned. I don't mean to come off this way.  :blush:

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #1300 on: March 14, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »
I had an internet hiccup and my post got eaten. Let's try again ...

I endorse this message 100%, with a big emphasis on the "miniscule profit" part of it ... even if you do manage to sell those dolls on ebay, you're going to get hit hard by their fees. Your profits will be negligible. So negligible that you would be much better off taking advantage of the big American stores' very generous return policies.

Slight tangent, but the stores here in New Zealand don't usually accept returns, especially if you've simply changed your mind. Mostly they just do exchanges, and then only if you give them a viable reason (such as you bought it as a gift and the person already has it or it was the wrong one or something). At first I thought it was annoying, but I've come round to seeing it as being for the best. It has certainly helped curb my impulse spending, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Honestly, though, the only way to make money selling toys on ebay is to become a scalper. Hate 'em as we all do, those people know what they're doing. They know what's hot and what's not, and they call around to all the stores to find out when the hot stuff will be there, and they have the ready cash to clear out those stores of their stock. They're essentially running a business.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #1301 on: March 14, 2013, 08:21:17 PM »
if I recall correctly, you came and posted on the day of your shopping spree and it was suggested it might not have been the wisest decision. A few pages back you said that since that spending spree you have bough more dolls to try to sell. So that is why I say it seems like you're not interesting in taking our advice.  I suppose I could be remembering that wrong. But also just in general, there's a concern of spending a lot of money when you stated that you don't have a lot of money or a job at the moment. You admitted you really shouldn't be buying dolls and should be saving money, so I think you'd be best off following your own advice. After all, we don't want you getting deep in the hole over something as silly as kids toys :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:38:12 PM by NoDivision »

animal_lover

« Reply #1302 on: March 14, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »
No, you're remembering correctly, but since I've asked for advice and everyone said it was a bad idea, the only things I've bought that weren't for me was a signature venus (because someone asked me to get it for them), abbey's bed (because someone told me beds are always good to have for trades and what not), powder room draculaura(because I remember someone saying they wanted it but missed out), and the werecat twins because I wanted to take advantage of the buy one get one half off sale at toys r us. So they have all been for a reason minus maybe the werecat twins.

In any case, I'm not trying to be rude or argue with anyone. I just feel like I needed to justify myself because I felt like I was being attacked. Although that's probably just me being overly sensitive again!  :lol:

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #1303 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:55 PM »
Although that's probably just me being overly sensitive again!  :lol:
Probably. I don't see anyone attacking you. I just see a bunch of caring people who are concerned that you are digging yourself into a financial hole.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: March 14, 2013, 10:57:31 PM »
Ghoul's Night Out dolls are out! Found the pictures on tumblr!

Source: http://erikaberry.tumblr.com/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:03:08 PM by Bow Tie »
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal