collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I think the Universe is trying to tell me something...  (Read 802 times)

Catherine

• Trade Count: (0)
I think the Universe is trying to tell me something...
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »
That something being that I should be collecting Monster High Dolls.

I resisted when they first popped into stores. I thought they were cute and moved on. Time went by, thought nothing more about it (except to see what other amusements the line came out with).

Then I got back into MLP collecting after a few years hiatus and lo and behold, a Monster High subforum. And within this forum were many threads with really lovely photography - much nicer than the dolls just in their boxes. My resolve weakened. I decided that I would pick up one doll and see what I thought. So I went to Walmart and found not just the Draculaura I had chosen, but also DC Howleen and Scaris Deuce (two of them actually). From reading the forums I knew that boys tended to be a bit of a pain to come by, so I picked one up for myself and thought i would post the extra to see if anyone else could provide a home.

However, then I opened Scaris Draculaura and really wasn't all that impressed with the doll out of package. So, I figured that I would post the other dolls here and see if anyone wanted them before I took them back. They all found happy homes and I got to expand my MLP collection. All's well that ends well, right?

Fast forward to last Friday. I was in Toys R Us in another city (I don't have one locally) and who did I spot on my way to the MLP aisle but a lonely Scaris Deuce sitting on an end cap. I hemmed and hawed for a bit (his shorts are kind of amazing), but decided that I would rather pick him up then leave him and regret it (this other city is a few hours drive away). So I picked him up. When I got back to Draculaura I remembered exactly why I had chosen to trade away the first lot I picked up. So, since there was no way I was driving back to the city, onto the Sale/Trade boards he went.

And then a woman posted on my city's local trade/sale boards about a lot of Monster High Dolls that her daughter was selling. She didn't play with them, they were her collection and it was gathering dust. So up they went for sale for a really good price. Apparently I have zero resistance to a bargain, especially when that bargain includes items that I had been toying with buying previously.

As such, I ended up with these lovelies:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Great condition (I doubt the brushes are perfectly matched and Lagoona is missing her leg fins), but these dolls have clearly not been played with. However, I did suffer the morning after regrets with this lot (especially with Clawd - outside of the their fashion sense, the boys just don't seem to interest me all that much...). I did realize that Scaris Draculaura really doesn't seem to be a great ambassador of her brand (for me anyway), but Frankie and Clawdeen are really quite adorable.

And then, I saw this little box facing me on a Walmart shelf (same aisle as the ponies):

As I sit here, I realize that I have involuntarily ended up with the beginnings of a Monster High collection that I had no intention of ever starting. It's positively insidious how these dolls just creep up on you. I don't remember ponies ever being quite this insistent.

So, for those of you who have trekked this far: How far down the rabbit hole should one let themselves fall? I have a few fingers left on the ledge, but I seem to be on the losing side of this battle.

In any event, I hope you got a bit of amusement out of my tale of bewilderment.  :P

faunabay

Re: I think the Universe is trying to tell me something...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:22:48 PM »
My advice is just let go of the ledge!  You're going to fall anyway so why fight it!   :help:  And you've already got a wonderful collection started!  I'd love to have some of the ones you've got so far!     :lol:   I've even got my 70 yr old mother buying them now! 

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
I say let go and hold on for the ride... Last year I wouldnt have dreamed that I have the collection I have now, nor would I have thought I would have as many as I do... But as I sat here and read your story it did amuse me quite a bit... I wasnt into monster high and my daughter had gotten a few for birthday's or christmas and such... But for whatever reason I got hooked last year and then started acquiring in August... It is now Feb, and although I dont have ALL of them... I have the majority of them with the few I am missing being the ones that dont come out until later this year... or ones that have disappeared off the shelf before I had a chance to get one (The Original Fearleading 3 pack)

That being said, I am now working on my second set of dolls. I have slowly been acquiring all those that were prior releases... Although this year there was an announcement that they are releasing Gil, Clawd, Holt and Deuce again... Most of the MH arena members believe this to be the scaris deuce... I agree... but then there is the chance to pick up the other 3 remaining boys if said announcement is true (Oh lordie I hope so  :hearts: ) I need to get my hands on the guys again...  My husband is annoyed with my habit but puts up with it, so I cant complain... Although he says he feels he is being stared at by the dolls as they sit on the entertainment center across from our bed... Lol

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »
I was in a similar situation you were in about 2 years ago. Back in late 2010, I saw the dolls when I worked at Target and convinced myself I didn't like them even though I secretly loved 'em! Well, at least Cleo. Fast forward about 6 months around May/June. I decided to look up the dolls again on google. I fell in love and couldn't deny it anymore. I needed to get my hands on 'em! My favorite was/is Lagoona so I decided to go to Claire's and saw they had Lagoona, but didn't want to be $25 so I drove to TRU and this guy had the last Lagoona and her swim uniform. I was devastated. I ordered her and her swim uniform on Amazon and said those were the only MH things I was getting.

That didn't last long. I ended up with more dolls. I didn't have a lot, but more than I anticipated. They were MIB hidden in my dresser because I didn't want my parents to find out. I ended up selling them a few months because I needed money and I didn't think I loved them. A month or two later, I gave in and started collecting again and started with just Lagoonas and I kept all my dolls MIB. Then I decided to open them and kept one set of Lagoonas MIB and opened the second set and started collecting other characters. Mostly dolls that I thought were pretty.

And here I am about a year and a half later and I have a wonderful collection that I just adore! :heart:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:52:20 PM by Bow Tie »
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:05:22 AM »
Just gogogo.

When they first popped up I insisted it was a stupid idea and "Why the hell is Mattel competing with itself. IT HAS BARBIE ALREADY!" However, I somewhat secretly liked the idea of Draculaura because of her outfit, but left it at that. $20 was a lot, and for a few bucks more I could have super moƩ kawaii-uugu figma!

Little while after I was still kinda... toying with it because of the Arena (I think, I can't remember the exact time but I know it was RIGHT after our car died..). This time it was Toralei, I knew that the MH aisle was always bare at this point and we had to pass by it at the time to get to the action figures. I saw the box, picked up and looked at her as we walked around. Oohing and awing at the pretty kitty (I really have picked up my mom's affinity towards cats). But again decided that $20 was a lot and could go towards food/household items instead, much against my fiance's advice.

Fast forward to last year, I finally caved and found a decently priced Toralei on eBay (I think all she was missing was her bag and diary for about $30). I fell in love, but insisted that was all I needed! Then I watched a webisode. Then another, then suddenly I had SS Lagoona, then DT Frankie and Ghoulia. Then I just stopped stopping myself, lmao (well, other than a monitary stand point, I mean). I figure if one is to keep stumbling upon something in their lives, it's happening for a reason and you might as well embrace it XD
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:07:33 AM by Icicle »

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:01:53 AM »
I fell down the rabbit hole in october, welcome to monster land lol they had been calling to me since i first saw them, but i was a MLP only collector. as it is im 28 almost 29 and trying to not let myself get into more toys, well that didnt work i caved and now im lost in monster land as well. its ok your not alone.

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:14 AM »
I resisted for a long time too.  Ever since they came out, my ex-gf and I would always ogle the MH dolls when we browsed the toy aisles, but I didn't buy any until this past year.  It was seeing pics online of awesome customs and repaints that finally did me in, since I was able to rationalize it as art projects and not just dust collectors.  But now I'm just sucked in and keep buying the dolls just 'cause I love them.

BTW if you're ever looking to get rid of that Clawd, I'd be happy to take him off your hands. XD

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »
I joined the Arena only for the ponies but after awhile, Hasbro kept releasing the same ponies over and over again. I became bored and wandered into this lovely forum one day. I lurked in various threads admiring all the wonderful photography and listening in on the many discussions. Then one day I decided I would buy a doll, Basic Rochelle, just to see how much I actually like these dolls. If I didn't like her, I would keep her. When she arrived in the mail, I was ecstatic! The doll blew me away and I immediately wanted another. Shortly after that, Basic Abbey arrived and that was that. I was hooked. I have yet to regret any of my dolls and I am on a mission to own one doll for each of the amazing characters from this brand of dolls :)

In short: Accept Mattel as your overlord and send them currency offerings every so often. They will then bless you with the opportunity to have in your presence one of their heavenly creations.

No seriously, there is no point in resisting :P Give in now to make it easier on your self  :nod: We've all been there, welcome to the club!
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:42 AM »
Resistance is futile :D Welcome to monsterland and congrats on your awesome dolly score! :biggrin:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

faunabay

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »
In short: Accept Mattel as your overlord and send them currency offerings every so often. They will then bless you with the opportunity to have in your presence one of their heavenly creations.
I LOVE THIS!!!   :worshippy:   But the reason I love it so much is it's absolutely true!! :haha:
Hey Sprinkles.....can I put that as my signature line?    :inlove:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:31:01 AM by faunabay »

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »

Ahahahahahahaha!!!! :haha: :rofl: It's so true!!!
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »
Deliberate carefully on the dolls you want, and purchase them responsibly and within your means. Beyond that, have fun with it!

empirical

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »
Although this year there was an announcement that they are releasing Gil, Clawd, Holt and Deuce again... Most of the MH arena members believe this to be the scaris deuce... I agree... but then there is the chance to pick up the other 3 remaining boys if said announcement is true (Oh lordie I hope so  :hearts: )

where did this information come from and what have i missed????????

sorry this is a bit off topic.

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 07:54:03 AM »
I was reading on one of the other threads... (MH Discussion 14??) That someone had spoken to mattel and they had confirmed releases for gil, clawd, holt (w/o articulated wrists) and deuce... They were discussing how they thought the deuce release was scaris and then chatting about what release the boys would be...

empirical

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
ah, good to know. thank you!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal