collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fairy Tale Academy -- new doll line  (Read 2387 times)

Rococo

• Trade Count: (0)
Fairy Tale Academy -- new doll line
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:05:23 AM »
Anyone heard of these? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fairy-Tale-High/145857128907392

At first I thought the drawings were the human forms of the Once Upon a Zombie dolls, but it turns out it's a new doll line by S-K Victory set to come out summer of this year. It even has a pilot webisode linked on the official fb page and one of the dolls (Snow White) a very brief appearance in this video, right next to the Pinkie Cooper doll (found this video and more on Teahoshi's flickr page).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:39:15 AM by Rococo »

Offline Cynosure

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Tale Academy -- new doll line
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:41:05 AM »
Huh. They're not bad looking, just kind of bland. I feel like too many fairy tale inspired dolls are drawing too much inspiration from Disney.
I really like Snow White and Alice though.

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »
Yeah... The artwork is generic, but maybe the dolls are better? I do like how they made Cinders a punk tho.  ^.^

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:42:05 AM »
I look forward to seeing the actual dolls!

Offline Applejax

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »
Wow, that webisode was awful quality! Why weren't these pictured at Toy Fair? It would be really nice to see these. It's so cool that they are making Pocahontas too.

Rococo

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »
I look forward to seeing the actual dolls!

You can see a really quick look (more like the camera glosses over them) at them on the second link I provided in my first post. They're in their boxes right next to the boxed Pinkie Cooper dolls. c: It's a really quick view though and you can hardly make out any detail, but you can kind of get an idea for the size of the dolls. Apparently, their bodies are similar to Winx dolls by Jakks Pacific?

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »
Meh, nope. I agree that too many of these draw their inspiration from disney. I mean these fairy tales existed before Disney, yet every mermaid is a redhead with a green tail and purple top? No thanks.

Offline Cynosure

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »
Meh, nope. I agree that too many of these draw their inspiration from disney. I mean these fairy tales existed before Disney, yet every mermaid is a redhead with a green tail and purple top? No thanks.

My guess is that they do this because it's what's familiar to little girls and thus it's guaranteed to sell well because "Mommy, look, it's Ariel!"
On the other hand, it's really boring to have twenty thousand dolls based on the little mermaid that look exactly the same as Disney's version.

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 12:36:11 PM »
Aww, they look super adorable and I will have to get some... eep there are WAY too many dolls coming out this year that I want! XD

I totally agree with you, Cynosure and NoDivision. Being so blatantly based on Disney gets boring  >_< I love Disney but geez, they don't NEED to dictate what fairytale characters look like. I think the Once Upon a Zombie girls aren't terribly bad (bad enough tho') in this respect but most of these Academy girls are very clearly influenced.  -_- Ahh, marketing.

Nonetheless, I like the spins on them (especially Cinderella and the Wicked Witch... Snow White and Belle are v. cute too) and I am such a sucker for anything fairytale so I'll still be buying :P

My guess is that they do this because it's what's familiar to little girls and thus it's guaranteed to sell well because "Mommy, look, it's Ariel!"
On the other hand, it's really boring to have twenty thousand dolls based on the little mermaid that look exactly the same as Disney's version.

Yuuup.
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline SparklerGirl

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
I was excited when I first heard about this line, but so far unimpressed with the actual product.  :(

Dibbles

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
Not really that excited about these. Looking forward to Once Upon a Zombie a lot more.

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »
Iono, I don't want to judge the book by the cover, but they look like pictures used as advertisements for those spyware/$5.99 CD computer game/generic online games. you see on the side of websites.

I need to see actual pictures of the dolls before I make my final judgement.
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »
Not really that excited about these. Looking forward to Once Upon a Zombie a lot more.

This.  I wish Once Upon a Zombie had used Pocahontas, though:(  Maybe in another wave?
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 07:56:30 AM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59582287@N06/8512219554/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59582287@N06/8512195780/

A couple of pics have shown up in my contacts so I figured I'd share them. While I like that they went with brown for Rapunzel's hair, I am not too impressed with the line in general. Maybe they will be good body donors. I'm also disappointed that Pocahontas wasn't shown and makes me wonder if she was canceled.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:58:07 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 08:34:46 AM »
Somehow, the dolls are even more generic looking than the already generic art. :blink: Ah well, it's nice when some new things won't tempt my money from my grasp. :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal