collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: About to pull my hair out... (Paint help?)  (Read 426 times)

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
About to pull my hair out... (Paint help?)
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »
Long story short, I despise FBRs in yellow.  Thought I had a trick worked out but it's failing me.  So, if you don't mind...
1.  How do I get FBRs in yellow/white done faster and more efficiently?
2.  How do I prevent paint lines (because watering down the paint isn't helping)?
3.  Is there a way to smooth paint out after it's on and dried?  Rubbing alcohol?  Sandpaper?

Please help...

Offline StarZetRaven

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Your average G2 collector
    • View Profile
Re: About to pull my hair out... (Paint help?)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 02:50:36 AM »
For 2. I can say that makeup sponges are wonderful and leave little paint lines :) I've had this problem too and have found that makeup sponges give the best result :)
ladywaterfall.tumblr.com

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:06:39 AM »
Airbrush, not the cheapest option.
I swear by mine for yellow and white FBR.
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:46:41 AM »
Airbrush, not the cheapest option.
I swear by mine for yellow and white FBR.
This, if you have a harbor freight near where you live they have cheap but good airbrushes. It's the air compressor that cost a lot in most cases.

I've done several white and one yellow ponies without a problem with the airbrush
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:47:41 AM »
I use an airbrush, the type of paint can make a huge difference too though. Creatix or Delta Ceramcoat both make yellows that go on wonderfully and do not need as many layers as other brands.

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:40:29 AM »
I can't paint yellow, white, or orange at all. The last time I had to make a yellow pony, Maniah airbrushed it for me. ^^;

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »
What brand of paint are you using? And what kind of brushes? 

I know everyone prefers an airbrush and it is pretty much the only way to achieve a "perfect" FBR, but it is possible to get decent results with paintbrushes and makeup sponges. Even with tricky colours such as white and yellow!

I tend to repeat the same things whenever someone asks about painting but here are my best tips:

1. Prime your bait. Gesso is fantastic stuff, it leaves a slightly rough base for your paint to stick to and reduce the number of coats needed for an opaque finish. Especially if your paint colour is lighter than the pony's original colour.
2. I use a fan shaped brush, size 4, for all my FBRs. There may be differences in the softness and quality of brushes, you'll want a brush soft enough but one whose bristles don't pull apart when you wet it (my bigger fan shaped brush does this... doesn't work at all!). You might need to get a couple of different sizes and experiment. Many also recommend makeup sponges; I have no experience with them but you'll have to see what works best for you. :)
3. Alternate with thicker and watered-down paint. Sometimes it's useful to do a couple of coats with well thinned, running paint that will go into the creases and lines left by the paintbrush. Sometimes it helps to focus on the problem areas and dry-brush some thicker paint to fill the creases. The more coats, the better the result. I'm usually somewhat happy after 7-8 coats and lose my patience after that. :D
4. You can use very fine sandpaper (600-1000) between the coats to smoothen out any bumps. Generally, sanding only works with colours that don't turn darker or lighter when they dry. There may also be differences between brands - I noticed my artist grade acrylics don't take sanding well but with most Folk Art colours it works just fine.

Hope this will help, even if a little! With handpainting you have to accept the fact that the finish will always have some sort of texture to it. Personally, I don't mind texture as long as there are no clear brush strokes to be seen, I don't want the viewer to be able to tell the direction of my strokes from the finished product. ;) I definitely see improvement in my FBRs over the years but I'm still fighting to produce "the perfect one". I'll probably never get there, haha. But I'm stubborn and will continue trying.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone!  I'll be heading out to the store in a bit to look for what you've all recommended. :)

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »
I've found Anita's brand acrylic paint does not leave as many brush marks and I don't water it down at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal