collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How long to leave ponies in oxyclean?  (Read 450 times)

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
How long to leave ponies in oxyclean?
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:11:42 PM »
I picked some oxyclean up today and started work on my grungy ponies bin.  I have them soaking in a bucket with it and boiling water now.  How long can I safely leave them in there? These ladies are a hot mess inside, but I don't want to destroy them.  Most of them may be getting rehairs though, I cannot abide mold in the hair even if has been killed off.
Also, this stuff says not to use it on rust? Does that include ponies with rusty guts?

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
Re: How long to leave ponies in oxyclean?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 06:13:38 PM »
I'm afraid I have no advice to offer.  I'm piggy-backing on your thread because I've recently been wondering the same.  Very strange warning re: the rust, though... I had no idea. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »
I have used it on ponies with rust and it takes the rust right off of them, however do not put colored ponies in with white ones. I have a hunch the older ones may bleed and stain the white ones.

CarnationTwirl

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 06:30:22 PM »
oops.  >_<
Well, these are all very light coloured girls so I hope it'll be alright.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:45:28 AM »
You should also be super careful with their hair - quite a few colours [especially the bright yellow, green, pink and orange] are not colour fast and will leak. And I agree with invader, Oxi is a chemical and you never 100% know what it will do and how a pony will react you are best to deal with ponies identical colours at the same time or preferably individually.

It depends what you are using the Oxi for and how you are using it. If you are boiling the water then I wouldn't leave the pony in for longer than a few minutes. If you are soaking the pony then honestly it depends on the scale of the damage people go for anything from a half hour up to several hours.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:55:11 AM »
Yup I've actually destroyed a pony with the bright yellow hair by leaving it to soak :argh: I never realised it actually was not colorfast :crazy:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

PandoraFox

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:26:33 AM »
I've had no problems with Oxi-clean (or Vanish Oxi action in my case) so far, but I usually leave the ponies in about half an hour to an hour, and I don't boil them. I pour boiling water in a bucket, add the pony (I've never tossed in more then one at a time I don't think) and leave it to soak for half an hour to an hour. It already tends to make a big difference in their appearance. They come out much cleaner and I've even seen mild pindot disappear that way. I've not had any extremely rusty ponies though, I can't advise you on that.

That being said, there's a few things I was warned beforehand to never put in oxi-clean.
-Glitter symbols, the glitter will wash off.
-Tinsel. The metallic kind will apparently loose it's color, the clear shimmery kind reacts badly to any sort of heat, if it doesn't melt, it will curl.
-Chartreuse hair (like surprise has) it will leech color and stain the pony.
-Twinkle Eyes and other G1 ponies with gems.  They're loose their shine and coating. (not sure on G2 and G3 ones. People have had mixed results with gems falling out of G2 eyes I believe.)
-Princess ponies, the metallic paint will come off their symbols.
-So Softs, the flocking will likely partially come off. That is unless you're planning to de-flock of course.

I don't recall if heat changing symbols were a bad idea, but I don't think I'd risk them.

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:14:54 AM »
just a quick suggestion on the whole color bleed thing, has any one else  tried the shout color catcher sheets? I've used them once so far and it seemed to work really well...

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »
I cant say I have heard that suggestion before Sanadaookami - thats a great idea :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »
While using oxiclean can have amazing results in not sure there is a "safe" time. It has had great results on cleaning up my ponies an even getting rid of some deep Argie pin dot. On the other hand I've had a few that even in a light soak it ate through the symbols. Some of mine soaked multiple times and came out just fine. I find it is like an experimental gamble from pony to pony.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal