collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair care dillema!  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
Hair care dillema!
« on: February 13, 2013, 07:12:22 AM »
For the past 5 years, I've used Herbal Essences Drama Clean shampoo/conditioner.  I haven't found anything that compares to it.  The only problem is that it looks like Target, Walmart, and various drug stores have stopped carrying it.  The only other place that carries it is the Air Force base exchange (20 minute drive!) and even then they only have like, three bottles of conditioner on the shelves.  I snatch them up and they only seem to last for a few weeks (I have really long, thick hair so it takes a lot to condition it).  They don't sell the big, bulk bottles either.

Well, I've run out and the only other conditioners I have in the house are Herbal Essences Long-Term Relationship and Tresseme Naturals moisturizing conditioner.  The first one smells God-awful and leaves mounds of icky build-up and the second one just makes my hair stringy and weighs it down so it's impossible to work with!  It also leaves a bit of ick. ><

All I want is a good refreshing conditioner that compares to Drama Clean.  What say you guys?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Rainsong

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hair care dillema!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:36:10 AM »
Aussie has a Cleansing conditioner/shampoo line. I use the Shampoo - give it a whirl?

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:37:12 AM »
I have thick long hair, that i have fried with bleach and dye.. :blush: but i just started using this brand. its new but my hair feels awesome! i have the shampoo, conditioner and conditioning balm.... last weekend i bleached my hair and it was soooo dry, so i put the balm in my hair for a few hours while i watched tv... let me tell you, my hair feels so soft and amazing now! you may want to try it they have a few different formulas the link below is for the one i have. i got it at walmart and its not too expensive either.

http://www.target.com/p/l-oreal-advanced-haircare-total-repair-5-restoring-shampoo/-/A-14337661

plus my hair doesnt feel greasy when im done. :)

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:03:10 AM »
I've heard great things about Mane and Tail, but all the store here always sold out. I have bad timing or it really that good. I currently use Suave professional. I would take the kind you like and compare the ingredient list with others. Find one that has the same stuff in the same order. Most likely to get the same result.

Herbal essence is a big let down. They had one product for frizz control that I like and they got rid of it; so I used another frizz control by them and loved it till they added some mango oil crap and it smells awful and leave my hair oily. Lots of bad review for them on there wed page cause they changed ingredient on their products.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:16:59 AM »
I never liked Mane & Tail myself. It made my hair feel like it had a.........weird film or something on it.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »
http://www.gudhappens.com/natural-personal-care-products/hair/

I use Gud by Burt's Bees. I have long thick hair too and a little of the conditioner goes a long way. Smells good too! Does not weigh my hair down like a lot of other conditioners out there.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
Pantene is another that works out I think. 

Goodluck <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
Maybe it's an obvious observation, but different hairs react differently to various products. I have long, straight, light hair and my mom has thick, dark, curly hair and we never found a shampoo or conditioner we're both happy with. As a rule, if I like it, she hates it and vice versa. So I say the best thing you can do is try various brands out. My experience also tells me that switching out shampoos from time to time makes the hair feel silkier and shinier so I tend to switch around if I can.

I do however use Nivea's conditioner and I love it. Since my end result almost always comes down to the conditioner, rather than a shampoo, the only criteria I have for the shampoo is that it's not tested on animals.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
I have long, thick hair too and I'm still trying to find something decent :huh: I've gone through so many types, from cheap to really expensive salon, all natural - everything. I'm using Garnier Fructis for dry damaged hair, it's okay. Much better than the Pantene I was using before. My hair is still dry though and it sheds a lot.

Once I even talked to a supposed professional at a salon and they recommend this J-Pack... or, something, I can't recall the name. Anyway, it wasn't cheap and it was horrid. Ugh. It made my hair feel like plastic.

Sorry I'm not much help. But I can sympathize!

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:38 PM »
I swear by Paul Mitchell shampoos.  They're a bit pricier, but they're amazing on my hair.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »
I think I'm going to give Aussie a try.  I've heard great things about it. o:

I've looked at the salon stuff (mainly TIGI and Matrix) and, while it is pricey, I'm willing to try it if nothing else works.  Once I found a shampoo/conditioner I liked I'd hoped I'd never have to do this again. xD

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:35:12 PM »
I have thick hair (used to have long too but it gave me migraines daily so off it went), I also have eczema and psoriasis. I have issues with shampoos and conditioner, I go through different phases and try different things. I have the Aussie right now, family size and I love it. I was using the red Herbal Essence bottled stuff, but after a while I kept getting itchy.
I used to love the original herbal essence, but like all good things, it gets changed. You can always write the company and explain how much you love that product and your wondering where it's vanished to. They might be just changing the bottle design or something.
I DO however recommend using a vinegar rinse or adding baking soda to your shampoo every so often. It removes build up of products and just ick. The vinegar rinse you do after washing/conditioning your hair- a small cup half water/half vinegar. It's really amazing and doesn't make you stink honest. The baking soda method, you just sprinkle some into your shampoo you have in your hand and wash like normal. This does take a bit longer to remove all of the shampoo and sometimes will make the tub slippery- so this one use with caution unless you wash your hair in the sink.

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 01:56:41 PM »
Have you tried looking for it in bulk on ebay or amazon? Also if they are phasing it out maybe Big Lots, Dollar General, etc has it.

A new shampoo I can't help you on that. I've been trying for years to find one that works for me.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 02:04:27 PM »
I prefer Drama Clean as well.  But when it's not around I use another herbal essence "flavor".  They all work about the same but some smell better.  Try out another kind if they have them. Otherwise, if you're like me, you might not find another brand as good. My hair really prefers herbal essence.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 06:58:22 PM »
I prefer Drama Clean as well.  But when it's not around I use another herbal essence "flavor".  They all work about the same but some smell better.  Try out another kind if they have them. Otherwise, if you're like me, you might not find another brand as good. My hair really prefers herbal essence.

I have a giant bottle of Herbal Essences Long-Term Relationship conditioner that I use as backup.  Oh my god the residue it leaves behind!  I'm hesitant to try any of their other stuff out after that. >_<

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal