collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you think the Brony phenomenon is good for the Toyline?  (Read 8009 times)

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think the Brony phenomenon is good for the Toyline?
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
so this is just  secondhand information (as i was on the phone) with a friend who was in TRU  and  asked about sunset shimmer. apperntly she told him the newest collection called the Brony collection  is coming in later this month. have no clue what it is..   it could be the new fan favorties..  or it  could just be what there calling this  wave  dunno. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »
Coming out of my hiatus (well, lurking) to reply to this. For complicated reasons I have to keep off the grid, and will go back to a hiatus/lurk mode after this. Although It's most probably I'll be in deep after I make this post...

The reason this happened is because Hasbro created their own network, which was in direct competition with Disney. They couldn't be fighting disney for ratings in the US, and giving them their shows to have them win in the rest of the world, giving them more funding to boost their US programming, and killing the hub in ratings. So they moved their shows over to boomerang, a channel that the hub is not in direct competition with in the US. It was purely good business sense, to do anything else was suicide!
So denying several countries that SSC toys were top sellers prior the new show is good business sense? Giving the rights to the show to an entity who is partnered with your rival is good business sense? Denying several countries that the show previously airs in and enjoys the toys flying off the shelf well is good business sense? Competing with a company who you're holding toy rights to, good business sense? I'm sorry, it's sounds more like ill-conceived, shortsighted and bumbling decisions than good business sense.

For the records, since SSC went to Boomerang, the toys has stopped flying off the shelves over here. We still see Hasbro toys from the first wave from three years ago lingering at TRU and Metrojaya. Other outlets that previously carried SSC in bulk have shrunk the amount of shelf space for the toy or have outright stopped carrying SSC. Cherry Jam and "HuckleBeiber Pie" stuff are a no-show. Whose fault is it then? Time Warner for putting it on Boomerang (which no Pay TV providers in Malaysia carry)? The one stuck-up pay TV provider who refuses to carry the channel? Or all the Pay TV providers in the country? Or the screwed up pro-monopoly law of the country that allows a Pay TV Provider to monopolize a channel and prevent rivals from carrying channels they already have, and said stuck-up provider is abusing that right by getting the license to Boomerang and then sitting on it with the excuse of not having enough satellite bandwidth to carry the channel and the false promise of putting the channel on once they can launch their next satellite in the next few years? Or Hasbro themselves for such a suicidal plan?

If you ask me, the correct thing for AG to do would be to withdraw the master license from Hasbro and give it back to Bandai. And intervene with the show rights somehow to make it go back to Disney.

Actually Hasbro no longer has the toy license for SSC. Now a company called Bridge Direct (the same ones making those Pinkie Cooper dog dolls) has it and should start selling the new dolls next year. Glad they didn't give it back to Bandai cause those dolls had some cheap hair that is actually starting to fall out.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »
Coming out of my hiatus (well, lurking) to reply to this. For complicated reasons I have to keep off the grid, and will go back to a hiatus/lurk mode after this. Although It's most probably I'll be in deep after I make this post...

The reason this happened is because Hasbro created their own network, which was in direct competition with Disney. They couldn't be fighting disney for ratings in the US, and giving them their shows to have them win in the rest of the world, giving them more funding to boost their US programming, and killing the hub in ratings. So they moved their shows over to boomerang, a channel that the hub is not in direct competition with in the US. It was purely good business sense, to do anything else was suicide!
So denying several countries that SSC toys were top sellers prior the new show is good business sense? Giving the rights to the show to an entity who is partnered with your rival is good business sense? Denying several countries that the show previously airs in and enjoys the toys flying off the shelf well is good business sense? Competing with a company who you're holding toy rights to, good business sense? I'm sorry, it's sounds more like ill-conceived, shortsighted and bumbling decisions than good business sense.

For the records, since SSC went to Boomerang, the toys has stopped flying off the shelves over here. We still see Hasbro toys from the first wave from three years ago lingering at TRU and Metrojaya. Other outlets that previously carried SSC in bulk have shrunk the amount of shelf space for the toy or have outright stopped carrying SSC. Cherry Jam and "HuckleBeiber Pie" stuff are a no-show. Whose fault is it then? Time Warner for putting it on Boomerang (which no Pay TV providers in Malaysia carry)? The one stuck-up pay TV provider who refuses to carry the channel? Or all the Pay TV providers in the country? Or the screwed up pro-monopoly law of the country that allows a Pay TV Provider to monopolize a channel and prevent rivals from carrying channels they already have, and said stuck-up provider is abusing that right by getting the license to Boomerang and then sitting on it with the excuse of not having enough satellite bandwidth to carry the channel and the false promise of putting the channel on once they can launch their next satellite in the next few years? Or Hasbro themselves for such a suicidal plan?

If you ask me, the correct thing for AG to do would be to withdraw the master license from Hasbro and give it back to Bandai. And intervene with the show rights somehow to make it go back to Disney.

That may be the case in Malaysia, but in the US, (which unfortunately we have to admit, is their main focus, it's where hasbro is based and originates) if disney have the show rights, the HUB won't last, and then where will MLP be? Sure, someone else *may* buy the rights to it, but with the bronies and their often unreasonable demands? It may look like more trouble than it's worth, and then the show would cease to exist. Then they would sell no toys at all, anywhere in the world and make NO money. SCC the show will still exist, maybe even go back to disney, but ponies won't, and being their main seller right now, that isn't what they are going to do.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
Monopolies do not make good business sense. 
Thing is, we do have a few competing providers. Except that the stuck-up provider seems to be the biggest, widest reaching (they themselves have a monopoly on satellite Pay television- the other competitors here are all fiber-optics, cable or Internet-based with much more restricted coverage, due to "protection" of satellite pay TV granted by the government to said stuck up company) and they seem to have gotten the license to several channels but instead of airing the channel they're sitting on it. However I could be wrong about them having the license to Boomerang part tho.

Several other possibilities on why Boomerang isn't available in Malaysia:
1. The license could instead be with a now dead provider who refuses to release the license even though they have ceased operating, and because of the pro-monopoly law all the other providers cannot air the show even though the current provider that's holding the license is technically dead.
2. Time-Warner had been reluctant to hand out new rights to the channel because they were planning to shut down Boomerang operations in Asia. Word has it that Boomerang was replaced by Toonami in several countries in Asia recently - notably, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia.

Actually Hasbro no longer has the toy license for SSC. Now a company called Bridge Direct (the same ones making those Pinkie Cooper dog dolls) has it and should start selling the new dolls next year. Glad they didn't give it back to Bandai cause those dolls had some cheap hair that is actually starting to fall out.
Interesting- I've never heard of this Bridge Direct people. Still, I guess their toys wouldn't sell because the show hasn't been available in Malaysia since the rights went to Boomerang.

but with the bronies and their often unreasonable demands? It may look like more trouble than it's worth, and then the show would cease to exist.
Well, to be honest, I'd rather the show cease to exist. It's no longer a show I want to watch.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal