collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Barbie Collectors, Do I have something??  (Read 1334 times)

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Barbie Collectors, Do I have something??
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
My knowledge on barbies isn't very extensive but I took a chance and bought these.  They were in a bag and the bag was a tad pricey for what I normally spend but I thought I'd take a chance.  They definitely need a cleaning...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

close ups

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/blueeyedangle/IMG_6737_zpsc96453a8.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/blueeyedangle/IMG_6736_zps02cc5b31.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/blueeyedangle/IMG_6735_zpscfb222cc.jpg
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:36:53 PM by kakenterprise »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Barbie Collectors, Do I have something??
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »
I am not a Barbie expert but it looks like you have some very good vintage stuff in there. 
I hope someone can make some positive identifications for you other than vintage Barbie, Ken, and Skipper.  Oh- and it looks like the Hearts family mom and dad from the 80s- who I don't think have any real value.  But the rest do-

I found a trunk of old Barbies at a swap meet years ago- and looked each one up on ebay to get an idea as to value/name.  Almost all of the old dolls are worth a decent amount.  There is definitely a LOT of Barbie collectors out there...

Offline daydreamwinn

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:50:58 PM »
Wow!  Yes, you do in fact have something!  The most valuable doll in the lot is probably the blonde ponytail toward the bottom of the picture.  She looks to be a platinum swirl and is from 1963-64.  You also have two vintage Skippers, a Skooter, and Ricky dolls.  The Ken at the top is a Live Action doll, as is the PJ (blonde doll) in the middle of the box.  The male in the blue shirt and the doll at the top look to be from the Heart family, and I think the other two dolls are knock-offs/clones.  *Edit - the brunette doll is genuine Barbie, most likely a Hair Fair head on a Twist n Turn body, or simply a TNT with a haircut.  Most of your clothing looks to be genuine as well.  Check for black and white embroidered tags inside the outfits.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?  The swirl alone could sell for over $100 if she has no major issues.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:54:30 PM by daydreamwinn »

Offline kakenterprise

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »
Galactica-I've been trying to look them up but I don't have luck finding barbies on ebay.  It's like my kryptonite. 

The issue with them is that there dirty.  I'm afraid to take a magic sponge to them.  I had an Ken (I think, thats who it is from this lot that I put in the sink) and now I have misplaced him. 

daydreamwinn-Thanks for the help.  I've learned not to buy barbies 90% of the time because they don't have much value.  I don't mind saying I picked up the bag for $10.  I didn't think they'd sell it to me because it looked like someone tore through the bag, so no one would be able to buy it, but she did.  I might have some more questions for you later on.  If you don't mind.

The girl with the swirl(red dress) has no earnings and she has black ear issue, I believe due to rust.  I think her bum says Midge 1963 or 1962 (I need a magnifying glass) 

I don't plan on keeping any of them

Offline daydreamwinn

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
You did VERY well.   :)  I am a major Barbie collector (managed to write two papers and a speech about her inception and social impact in college), so I would be happy to answer any questions that you have.  I can also ID the skipper sized outfits later on when I find my Skipper book.

*Edit* If you post some pictures of the ears of the Swirl, I may be able to give you some advice about cleaning her.  However, if you're planning on selling anyway, it may just be best to leave it up to the new owner.

Offline kakenterprise

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:39:42 PM »
Wow I feel like you expanded my mind with all this barbie knowledge.   I'm really impressed and very thankful for the help. I did check her clothing and there is a tag on her dress but not her coat.  I'd still like to know how to clean her ear I thought it was a permanent issue. 

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/blueeyedangle/IMG_6738_zpsaf880cca.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/blueeyedangle/IMG_6743_zps9299bc6a.jpg
I'm impressed with how silky her hair is.  I think I'll have to remove the rubber band though as its disintegrating. 

The brunette has an odd issue where her pin is going into her cheak.  Her shirt is marked barbie.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/blueeyedangle/IMG_6742_zps3eb3a9e6.jpg

The girl in the purple dress is marked Mattel 1968.  She's definitely not made out of the same material as the other two.

The girl in the yellow dress has no markings, along with some nicely disintegrating undies (staples in her feet) but her dress does say skipper. 

I forgot this girl she was under the others.  She's very small with super silky hair topper corp 1970
Found her
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:04:17 PM by kakenterprise »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »
I love how there appears to be an expert on EVERYTHING on this board- sure wish I had been here many years ago :D

Congrats on your major haul!

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »
Looks like you've already got your info, but I just had to say WOW, that's an amazing buy...huge congrats to you.  I'd give my left arm just for one of those Skippers, lol.

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline andibgoode

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Andi B. Goode
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »
Is it all right if I just have a bit of a cry because I could never find anything like that for that price here? :cry: what an amazing find. My favourites would be the Swirl ponytail and the titian Skooter doll (I've been looking for one to complete a 'family' :lol: )

Congrats!
:good: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :art:
Monster High dolls for sale

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
OMGosh I am dying over that box.  Those vintage girls are fabulous.  I have tons of Dawn dolls and that one is Angie.  She is one of my favorites.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline daydreamwinn

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 04:16:08 AM »
The Swirl has green ear, which you can treat with Remove-Zit.  If you are planning on selling, I would just leave this alone.  However, I have started going through and treating dolls in my own collection that have this issue.

The brunette is definitely a Hair Fair head on a TNT body.  This head was sold separately with some hair pieces as a way for little girls to change up their doll's hairstyle without cutting any hair.  You can removed those pins as they are not original.  Some little girl probably added them because she thought that Barbie need earrings.

Is the blonde clone short like Skipper?  If she is a Skipper clone, I may be interested in her.  :)  I have a soft spot for the odd knock off dolls from the 60s and 70s.

The PJ (dolls in purple dress) and Ken in the crazy outfit should be loose at the waist.  The Live Action dolls were an expansion of the Living Barbie line 1969, which allowed Barbie greater movement than she had previously.

And, yes, the small doll is Angie from the Topper Dawn line from the late 1960s.  My mom collects these dolls, so I may be interested in her as well. 

I can probably get you some outfit ids this afternoon, but I'm off to work at the moment!

Offline andibgoode

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Andi B. Goode
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 05:02:54 AM »
I can help a bit with outfits. The blonde swirl is wearing Matinee Fashion from 1965 http://www.fashion-doll-guide.com/Vintage-Barbie-Matinee-Fashion.html

Skooter is wearing the dress from Flower Girl and coat from Dress Coat
http://www.fashion-doll-guide.com/Vintage-Skipper-Flower-Girl.html

http://www.fashion-doll-guide.com/Vintage-Skipper-Dress-Coat.html

I think one of the Skippers is wearing All Over Felt from 71-72

http://www.dollreference.com/skipper_clothes1971.html

And now it's time for bed.
:good: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :art:
Monster High dolls for sale

Offline Vertefae

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 06:34:13 AM »
If you decide to separate the dolls from the clothes, I'd be extremely interested in the Skipper sizes.

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »
Wow, what a find! Congrats on helping collectors out!  I always buy older Barbies and rarely get something old enough to be a really good find.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline kakenterprise

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:25 AM »
daydreamwinn-  She is about the same size if not the exact same size.  If you like I can take that dress off and take some more pictures.  Also if your interested in the Topper I can do the same. 
The pins did come out of the  Hair Fair, she currently looks like my Favorite martian with them just barely sticking in.  Do you happen to know if it would be better to take off her head and sell it by itself?? 
The Live Action dolls does move at the waist so that's definitive a perfect idea. 

barbgirl1999- I know these people are amazing here!!

tulagirl- Hi again!!  Angie is really cute, I like her small stature. 

andibgoode-  *hugs*  I thrift quite a bit since it's just down the road.  I wasn't supposed to be thrifting when I picked these up but I couldn't pass the bag up.  After Christmas is always a great time to hit thrift stores because people get rid of their old toys to make all that room for the new ones!!  Thanks a ton for the outfit ideas I thought the felt dress was hand made so it's a good thing I posted here. 

Vertefae-I'd definitely consider it everything needs a new home. 

skyrocketneko-I've never had any luck with barbies before so this was a shot in the dark.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal