collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Questions about acetone and ponies...  (Read 813 times)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
Questions about acetone and ponies...
« on: February 04, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »
I currently have 3 ponies with marker/ink spots which need to be taken care of (TE Sweet Stuff with a marker make-over, Princess Misty with some ink down her neck and leg, and a Glittering Gem whose sides and face are covered in a marker which almost matches her actual colour, but no cigar.) I bought some nail polish remover w/ acetone, but it hasn't removed any of the ink marks and only faded one ink spot on Sweet Stuff.

Sooooo, I guess need to buy some real acetone. But where do I find this stuff? Do you guys get it at Walmart or Home Depot, or order it online? Is it safe to use on all ponies? (Avoiding symbols and eyes of course.) In fact... will acetone remove ink at all, or is that a sunfading only kind of thing? Maybe I should have started with that one.  :drunk:

While we're asking questions... Anyone know a good place to find forceps? (Couldn't find any at Walmart. I've seen a bunch on Amazon though.) Is there a good home remedy for pindot other than fingernail scraping? (Brillo pads maybe?) Where do baby ponies come from, and how many licks does it take to get to the center- okay, kidding. If anyone can help me out at least with the acetone/marker questions, that would be superb!  :biggrin:

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about acetone and ponies...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:12:29 PM »
I found a small  bottle  of it  ar walmart for 0.99 with the nail polish remover

berylliumpone

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
I found some at Walmart. I know Grocery Stores don't usually carry it, but I'm not sure if a Home Depot would. Maybe, but it'll probably geared more towards home products rather than little bottles.
I think it will get most inks (accept for Sharpie  :huh:). Works awesome on paints, though.

Mlphammy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »
I don't think acetone will remove marker. I will have to see where you get acetone, maybe hobbie stores?  But, Mr.Clean Magic Erasers (the normal ones) will remove alot of pindot. Good luck! :)

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »
Here in aus I get acetone from the hardware store, in the paint section. But pharmacies may have it, and nail techs :) I soaked a pony that had a black transfer mark on her feet (only put the feet in for 20 mins) and it reduced it slightly. But acetone does thin the plastic, and makes it soft. You have to make sure you thoroughly wash it off afterwards, as it will continue to eat into the plastic. Sunfading may be a better option, not as many what ifs and possible ruin as with acetone.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:54:57 PM »
I don't know about acetone (I use Sally Hansen's salon-strength nail varnish remover instead - it's a stronger remover, more acetone content, but not the pure stuff), but I did find that when my fingernails got tired of scraping at pindot, the edge of a wooden popsicle stick/coffee stirrer works somewhat.  It's also really dandy for deflocking. ^.^  I wouldn't try Brillo pads, though, 'cause the rough metal on soft pony vinyl might gouge it...

As for forceps, I don't have, but I do have a set of bent-nosed pliers I use for beading as well as pony work.  They've been excellent for tail removal, and on the one pony I've de-maned.  They've worked on every size G1 I've got, but if I was to work on more delicate little flutter ponies (or if their plastic had hardened >_<), I would probably seek out forceps; in the meantime, however, I think I got them at Michael's. ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
Anyone know a good place to find forceps?
try by the fishing stuff...
Is there a good home remedy for pindot other than fingernail scraping?
H202, some suggest that thing you use to remove blackheads from your face (whatever the heck they're called). I also use really gritty hand cleaner and a scotch brite pad to get out nasty grimey stuff.
Where do baby ponies come from?
Wishes and rainbow farts
How many licks does it take to get to the center (of a tootsie pop?)
3 according to the wise old owl.

Sounds like what's already been recommended would work, a good stretch of sunfading will do them all good. Even your pink on pink glittering gem. Make sure you cover up what you don't want faded with tinfoil or I even use white paper towel (wet it on, stays on nice usually).

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
I found my acetone at an auto parts store, right near the fiberglass resin. I'll have to try the camping/fishing section at Canadian Tire or something for forceps...I'm looking for a pair myself. :)
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »
Thanks for all the info everyone! I didn't know that acetone could hurt the plastic... I'll have to be wary!

I think I'll just have to wrap these ponies up and pop 'em in the window with my yucky Quackers.

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »
Acetone and Hemostats, both of these I got from Amazon.
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 07:07:05 AM »
Hardware store or a very well stocked pharmacy should cover you for both the forceps and the acetone to be honest as others have recommended.

As to the marks - have you tried a magic eraser? Often they will move ink marks which acetone cannot. Acetone/nail varnish remover is good if the ink is on the surface or recent and not a little impregnated into the plastic. For anything a little more ingrained you will need magic eraser or if that is no luck then sunfading.

And remember to be careful with the strongest acetone as plastic can melt if it is left on for too long - make sure to wipe it away as cleanly as possible.

On Glittering Gem are you sure its not regrind of some kind? Is it a hot pink colour?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »
OH, watch out with Quackers, she can sunburn!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Foxfire

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Mad Woman with a Blue Box
    • View Profile
    • Foxfire's Finger Paint
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 08:36:22 AM »
Acetone can be found next to nail polish remover in most stores. I get mine at Sally's Beauty Supply store, but supermarkets and some grocery stores have it too.

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »
On Glittering Gem are you sure its not regrind of some kind? Is it a hot pink colour?

It's more of an orangeish colour, and the way that it's drawn on the face leads me to believe that someone tried to use a similar-coloured market to cover up a previous pony "makeover." The seller also said it was marker ink.

OH, watch out with Quackers, she can sunburn!
Ack! I'll keep a close eye on her!!  :whoa:

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »

And remember to be careful with the strongest acetone as plastic can melt if it is left on for too long - make sure to wipe it away as cleanly as possible.

So true!  I dunked a blind bag figured in pure acetone and left her there for a while - she started to melt on the ears and tail.  Had no idea it would damage the plastic!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal