collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Questions about G3 (specifically Juniper Jade)  (Read 763 times)

torako

• Trade Count: (0)
Questions about G3 (specifically Juniper Jade)
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:29:29 PM »
First, I wasn't really into ponies when g3 was happening, so I just thought I'd check... Their heads are supposed to move, right? Just like g4? That's why they have a seam there, right?

Second question... What's the best way to get glitter glue off of a pony?

Third question... Do you guys know what hair colour matches Juniper Jade? (this is her http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Juniper_Jade )

Because... Yeah, I found some ponies at a thrift store, and their hair is all matted, they're covered in glitter glue, and their heads don't turn. (I'm new to this though, so I figured I'd mess with them one at a time! Also, the other 2 are McDonalds toys, so... XD)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about G3 (specifically Juniper Jade)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of ponies! Some g3's did have turning heads, and some didn't. The earlier ones had magnets in their feet and their heads were stuck in one position. I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but at some point the magnet was removed (I think kids were getting them out and swallowing them, so it was a safety thing) and their heads were allowed to move.
For removing glitter glue, as long as it's not some crazy kind of super glue, warm or hot water should remove it without hurting anything. Anything more intense than that- you'll need better advice! I'm just no good at anything too extensive.
Congrats on finding them! Do you have pictures?
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

torako

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
Ah, okay, this one does have a magnet in her foot! That would explain it. How do I rehair her, though? o.o

I'll take a picture once I find my phone. Just a sec. XD

Edit: Uh, okay, I'll take a picture once my phone boots up! I let it die, apparently. XP
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:45:03 PM by torako »

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
You have to get the head off, but it's just a matter of getting through the glue. There's a tutorial somewhere here that has directions- it works well to warm the glue and then pull, then warm and pull until the head comes off. Cutting the glue sometimes cuts the plastic, too, so I use it as a last resort.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

torako

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
Would I be right in assuming that the McDonalds ones don't have removable heads? They have seams on their necks, but their heads don't seem to turn. (Their hair makes me saad! I want them to be pretty! XP)

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »
I've managed to pop heads off several of the McDonalds ones I've got. It's generally not easy, but with a little work and heat they do come off.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »
There are a few different ways to rehair - you should check out a few different tutorials and see what you are happiest with for example:
http://www.aikarin.com/mlp/customs/rerooting.html
http://ponycustoms.com/88/my_little_pony_tutorials/hair/rehairing/how-to-rehair-my-little-pony-manes/
http://www.freewebs.com/shinigamiestelle/rehairingtutorial.htm

And if you have any questions if you post over in Customs I am sure you will get lots of advice :)

I think Juniper Jades colours are Kitten, Old Bubblegum and Virgin Snow.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
The seams in the neck are due to the way the ponies are made.  :)  My understanding is that there's a mold for the head and a separate mold for the body.  Otherwise they couldn't make the interior of the body hollow, and it would cost a lot more to make ponies.   Some G3 ponies do have turning heads, others have their heads practically GLOPPED with glue.   It's especially hard to get heads off the first few years of G3s.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

torako

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 04:00:42 PM »
Ok, my phone works again. Sorry this is such a terrible quality photo. =/ (They're chilling on the PS2 because my desk is such a mess XD)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »
I think her hair might be salvageable! G3 hair is quite tough and can come out nice even from a worst bird's nest, so if i were you, I'd try that first, it's cheaper and less bothersome than rehairing (especially a G3 :S it took me forever to dehair one that I attempted).

What i do is I wash her with shampoo and then in the same go rinse her and apply hair conditioner. I leave it for an hour or so (even longer if you are patient, I'm usually not :P) and then I comb it carefully while it's still full of conditioner. there hasn't been a hair I couldn't comb that way, even super long hair ones with tinsel!
When you're combed through, you rinse her again, adjust the hair and leave to dry.

If after that it's still frizzy and matted, try straightening it with a hair iron. This has to be done carefully and while her hair is still wet and full of conditioner. Take small chunks of hair and go through it with the iron, more than once if needed.

But from my experience, G3 hair only needs a good wash and conditioner treatment, so let's see where that gets you :)

Oh, and i wanted to make sure you understand I'm ONLY referring to the proper G3s, not McD ones! their hair is made of different kind of fibre and I think it melts with a hair iron (not 100%  sure though) and their hair is usually not salvageable. I usually just give the ma nice braid and call it a day :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:03:43 PM by Vintergatan »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
Uh, you might not want to keep Juniper Jade on your PS2 since she has a magnet in her foot. o.0

My dad who builds computers says it's probably not an issue, but I'd rather not take the chance! I never leave my G3's around electronics, or near my credit cards!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

torako

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 06:37:22 PM »
I think her hair might be salvageable! G3 hair is quite tough and can come out nice even from a worst bird's nest, so if i were you, I'd try that first, it's cheaper and less bothersome than rehairing (especially a G3 :S it took me forever to dehair one that I attempted).

What i do is I wash her with shampoo and then in the same go rinse her and apply hair conditioner. I leave it for an hour or so (even longer if you are patient, I'm usually not :P) and then I comb it carefully while it's still full of conditioner. there hasn't been a hair I couldn't comb that way, even super long hair ones with tinsel!
When you're combed through, you rinse her again, adjust the hair and leave to dry.

If after that it's still frizzy and matted, try straightening it with a hair iron. This has to be done carefully and while her hair is still wet and full of conditioner. Take small chunks of hair and go through it with the iron, more than once if needed.

But from my experience, G3 hair only needs a good wash and conditioner treatment, so let's see where that gets you :)

Oh, and i wanted to make sure you understand I'm ONLY referring to the proper G3s, not McD ones! their hair is made of different kind of fibre and I think it melts with a hair iron (not 100%  sure though) and their hair is usually not salvageable. I usually just give the ma nice braid and call it a day :P

is it ok to get the shampoo on the rest of the pony, or do i need to be careful with it? =P

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 03:13:38 AM »
Dragonflitter, I think on some topics we discussed that magnets in G3s are way too weak to do any damage to computers. But yeah, I guess you can never be too careful, especially with old electronics. I've personally had numerous G3s on my computer and it was fine :P

torako, yes, it's perfectly fine to clean her all over, just make sure to squeeze her bum after you're done to get all the extra water, and make sure to put her in a place where she can dry properly both outside and inside. The only real damage water can do to them is make the metal ring holding their tales in place go rusty. That said, I think many G3s have plastic rings but I've only ever opened one :P
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:17:36 AM by Vintergatan »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 03:39:32 AM »
i've opened quite a few, and only ever found one with a plastic washer :) but i'd definitely try vintergatan's advice on trying to wash and detangle the hair, for some reason g3's seem to have 100 times more glue than is necessary holding their manes inside their heads, and it is very painful on the hands and so not fun to get it out :)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 06:31:04 AM »
Yes I agree I would salvage their original hair. They are in very nice shape and the hair can be fixed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal