collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Custom Spotlight for February!!  (Read 1416 times)

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
Custom Spotlight for February!!
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:24:45 AM »
our February customizer is.....roogna!!!
a pioneer for the customizing front, it's inspiring to see that you are still around, creating customs for us to enjoy! Congrats on the spotlight :D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

How long have you been customizing ponies?
A looooong time. Probably something like 15 years now. I was one of the pioneers in the customizing MLP field back in the mid-to-late 1990s. In fact, this was before I was "Roogna". At this point in time, I was "tigrlily" – though I'm not sure any of my customs got signed that (or made it out of my house lol).

What got you started?
I was just getting into actually collecting MLP, and I found the MLPTP. I've always love creating, and I immediately took to wanting to take unloved, unwanted, truly baity ponies and turn them into something new and interesting. I loved the creative challenge and the newness of it. I loved thinking outside the box (still do).

There were a few of us on the MLPTP that started customizing, and we experimented with all kinds of things – partly because we didn't have or know about many options for materials like hair, Apoxie Sculpt, etc. I used fringe for "hairy hooves" on a custom for someone (including painting over the fringe), and I own a custom that I painted and rehaired after someone else's dad used silicone to make a new leg for a three-legged newborn. You don't even want to know the crazy places we scalped hair from! (Ok, maybe you do – I know I destroyed a couple fakies at one point in order to salvage the hair plugs without cutting them.) We constantly bounced ideas, tips, and tricks off each other and were making customs primarily for Art's sake. I remember writing more emails and posts than I can count on "how to customize" including people's main interest: "how to paint" and "what kind of paint."

When the G3s came out, we immediately grabbed those off the shelves to start customizing. Easy, clean, cheap, convenient canvasses! My first set of G3s was making the members of X Japan, which included painting their hair to get it to stand up in unusual, gravity-defying positions (I still have these customs too).

It was love at first custom.

Do you enjoy other types of art?
Definitely. Though one of the great things about customizing is that it can incorporate other types of art like sculpting. I like mixed media. I’m really enjoying using Apoxie Sculpt, and I've even done some sculpting with it just to sculpt, and not because it was for a pony. I really like to draw, but I usually don't draw out my custom concepts and I don't "draw" on the custom before painting. I'm just starting to get into cosplay. I've dabbled in lots of art types, but customizing ponies is definitely my number one artsy thing to do.

Do you have any favorite customs done by you or another artist?
Yes! I love all of the customs I own!!!

The ones by others are really too many to list at this point, and I would hate to leave anyone out. I have so many awesome customs, including customs by people that are no longer customizing. However, I will mention that I have been lucky enough to acquire some versions of my ponysona, Roogna, that have special places in my collection. These are by Puuush, Ambar_jul, Kanthaka/Veda Darling, WolfenM, and Refrain – and that's not counting the plush versions!

From the ones I've made myself I'd have to say I'm rather partial to my hammerhead and shark customs. I really need to make more of those. Also, my Hallowedding ponies that are wearing sculpted outfits just like mine and my hubby's.

What inspires you?
Lots of things. Sometimes I have no idea where ideas come from; they just hit me. So I keep a notepad near me at all times so I can jot down the idea for later use (or disuse) and fill my computer with folders of images I find inspiring. If you want specifics, sometimes it's other art or images, music (usually metal or gothic), themes, and all things Halloween. I loved "themed" swaps – I find them very inspiring for the custom I end up making and all the ideas I come up with while filling out my form. I love things that are unusual. :)

What types of customizing disasters have you run into?
My worst disaster was probably when I dropped a six-winged G3 pegasus, breaking 2 of the wings, while the dark red paint was still wet. I got paint on me, my clothes (to this day, that Rasputina shirt still has faint red on it, and this was years ago), my carpet, etc. and I almost cried at breaking those wings. Thankfully I was able to sculpt them back on, and the custom was a success (and still lives with me), but I was so upset at the time.

I've cut and stabbed myself a few times (including my knee).

I also had some early-on issues with Testors paint and spray sealer leaving ponies sticky, which created problems – dusty, icky problems.

Do you have any favorite tips or tricks?
I use water to smooth my Apoxie Sculpt and round toothpicks and my fingernails for details when sculpting. Really! Don't buy any special sculpting tools, just get a regular box of round toothpicks and some water. I also splurge a bit on Viva paper towels as these are excellent to wipe my water-apoxie fingers on as well as my paintbrushes.

Are there any products you just can't live without?
Apoxie Sculpt! The rehairing "tool"! (Which, of course, also means 24 gauge embroidery/tapestry needles and wire cutters.) And the obvious: nylon hair and acrylic paint. I've also come to need the 18/0 brushes dollyhair carries.

The "tool" literally saves me hours when rehairing and it's much less difficult and stressful than threading and knotting.

What advice do you have for someone just starting to get into customizing?
Have fun! Along with being an art form, this should be an activity for all ages and skill levels, so don't worry about criticizing or comparing – just have fun!

Having fun is really what it's all about, but in addition to that I will also say:

Don't be afraid to experiment with unusual media. That's how customizing started. I've even used a rubber/vinyl jump rope!

Don't try to master everything at once. Start with paint and an idea. Hair, sculpting, dye, sewing, etc. will all come later if you want.

Make sure to get Extender for your paint (I wish I'd known about it years ago) and brush cleaner.

Make something you like. I always make something I like. That way, I'm happy with my custom, if I'm trading I know the other person will be happy, and if I'm trying to sell and the pony doesn't sell then I'm ok with that too. Customs should be loved, even if it's just by you!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Custom Spotlight for February!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »
Yay, congrats, Roogna! I loved reading through your answers, and especially your advice of not trying to master everything immediately. Of course it's useful to share tips and how-tos, not everyone needs to repeat same mistakes, but sometimes I feel like only few are up for just experimenting anymore, even beginning customizers are striving for perfection straight away. Relax and have fun, that's the key. :)

You have a long experience and it shows. I love that Star Wars set, btw! A well-deserved spotlight ^^

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline 4Lindy

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »
Congrats Roogna!!!  Great work always!

Huge Thanks to Alrak, SourdoughStomper and Mari for my Super Sweetie Siggy\'s!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 05:24:28 PM »
Congrats!  I finally got a Roogna custom into my herd last year and I'm so happy with her.

Elf

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
Congrats, Love your work, and your tips! Would love to see that 6 winged g3 pegasus pony you spoke of?
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
Congrats, Love your work, and your tips! Would love to see that 6 winged g3 pegasus pony you spoke of?
sure thing!

Samael is an important figure in Talmudic and post-Talmudic lore, a figure who is accuser, seducer, and destroyer.
 The etymology of Samael is "Venom of God" or "Poison of God" and he is sometimes identified with the Angel of death.
 Some texts identify him as a version of Lucifer and he is this said to have had 12 wings rather than 6 like the other Seraphim and Archangels, but that's a lot of wings so I went with 6. He is a demonic figure.

I was inspired to create him while listening to "Beauty Slept In Sodom" by Cradle of Filth (which mentions him).

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
Congrats! I always enjoy seeing your work because it is so inspiring. I had no idea you had been in customizing that long - that is so awesome. Loved reading all your answers and I am with you on trying new things :)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:45:57 PM »
Congrats! :cheer:
I always love seeing your customs and I'm happy to have some in my collection :lovey:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
Congrats and it is interesting to see your progression. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:28:15 PM »
Congrats roogna!!!!!!  :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 06:04:11 PM »
Congrats roogna!!!!!!!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline bluemoondreams

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 02:01:45 AM »
congrats on the spotlight and well deserved!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »
Congrats! You have such lovely work! A well deserved spotlight!

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

Offline WaePonies

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
congrats Roogna ^.^ i love me pony from u ^.^
xoxo

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
Roogna! Congrats girl!

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal