collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why did you start collecting again?  (Read 554 times)

Offline Lunar Dust

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you start collecting again?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 05:50:58 PM »
Never collected them as a child and my first ponies were hand-me-downs from my cousin when she got to old for them. I was more than happy to play take them and give them a good home. I got myself a few G2's but was not super into ponies. When G3 came along I bought several but still did not have a large amount of them.I think Pokemon took my focus away from ponies. Than G3.5 appeared and I was getting older so buying new ponies just stopped. I may have stopped buying any new ponies but my G3's still sat happily on my tall dresser waiting for the day when my inner pony love sparked up again.

I started re-buying ponies after seeing the new show and liking it. I desided I would add the main 6 to my collection and then I just keeped adding more that I liked. I guess I never fully lost interest in ponies but took a short break at buying any. I am also glad I did not get rid of any of my childhood ponies, I still have all my G1's, G2's and G3's (only a few G3's I had to replace do to loosing a few in a move).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »
Its kinda of a sappy story really...
When i was little my grandma had a bunch of G1's she always let me play with.
When i got a little older she gave them to me.
For a while i had them and played with them... then my sister came home and made cracks about the ponies and that I was "Too old" for them and that if she caught me gone she was either going to give them to her brats or "Throw them away"  first chance she got because someone "My age" had no buisness playing with stupid kids toys.
So left with the choice of either leaving them or putting them away some place... I packed them all up and shoved them into the back of the attic.

some time durring G3 I purchased cloud chaser, minty and pinky pie to put on my desk at work.. and at some point or another got rarity and westeria as well.
When they all got stolen off my desk at work and someone held them for ransome... after i finally got two of them back.. I never did get poor minty back  :cloud:... i gave up on G3's too.. tossed cloudchaser and pinky pie in the trunk of my car and never looked at them again.

Recently I stumbled on to G4 by pure accident and I realized how happy ponies had made me.. plus they reminded me of my grandma.. So i got into the closet and dug them out... with my sister 1000 miles away in florida there is no chance of her hurting them...
I found some really good deals on G1's on ebay and etsy and have increased my collection of them.

G4's i fell for when i got a couple to go with my G1's.. i realized how cute.. and frankly how inexpensive ( you can find em really cheeply around here in the various dollarstores) they were.. they just kinda multiplied.

hehe.

Aw!  :hug:  I'm sorry you had so many issues earlier in your collecting.  Glad you've picked up on g4s.

I was like hathorcat, a (little) girl who didn't really collect ponies but had a few she liked.  And then I grew up and sort of forgot about them.  But about 7 years ago, my best friend gave me a g3 MLP themed birthday present with g3 Merriweather.  I loved it (I've always been a toy collector) and wanted to get her a friend, so we headed to TRU and I bought Silver Glow.

Then about a week later, I remembered the few g1s I had and thought to look them up on eBay.  I've been a collector ever since.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 01:56:59 AM »
Aww I love everyone's stories! Lots of different reasons to start collecting again. I suppose kids aren't really collectors, I just thought that was the easiest way of describing it. I had around 30 ponies as a child, and when I stopped buying MLPs (or having them bought for me!) at the end of G1 I got into buying Breyers and other various types of model horse. So I guess it was kind of collecting, just not in the same way I collect now.

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 12:22:51 PM »
I didn't really collect as a child. I had some G1's my granny who I vaguely remember bought me at garage sales and then had a bunch of G2's my grandmother and mother got me for Christmas one year. I loved those jewel eyes skinny colorful horses so much! Years went by.. I got into toy collecting through Pokemon. Went from Pokemon to Lord of the Rings, to WWE Edge figures and then to ponies when one day my sister bought me a Dewdrop Dazzle on clearance after Christmas. Fell in love, looked up ponies, saw G3's, fell even more in love and now I have ponies from all gens! Even some G2's <3

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 01:01:37 PM »
Basically, I went over to visit my mum one day 6 years ago and she was clearing out the spare room and we came across some of my old ponies...I think it was baby Lemondrop and erm... Another adult pony.

Anyway I put them straight on eBay, but when I sent them to their new homes I realised I wanted them back again!! XD

So I promptly went on eBay and won an auction for Blossom, and....you've guessed it, G1 Minty :lovey: I was hooked from that moment. And I haven't  stopped buying lol :dribble:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »
I love hearing everyone's stories  :biggrin:

My sister and I had a ton of G1's when we were little and my mom is a bit of a hoarder so she kept all our childhood toys (thanks mom!!). I grew up and they went into storage.

I have no idea what got me back into 80's toys but when I was in high school I discovered Ebay and decided to finish my Care Bear collection. I then started researching ponies, found Dream Valley and was hooked. I started buying G1's off Ebay and from garage sales and flea markets for my collection. I started restoring ponies and then customizing them, this was back before tutorials and it wasn't very common yet. I still have all my old customs and they have held up perfectly :)

So then I moved out of home and everything went back into storage. I remember buying 1 or 2 G2's just for old times sake but didn't really like them. When G3's came out I was super excited and bought a bunch for my niece and bought some for myself in hopes of having a daughter some day.

Well now I have a 5 year old daughter and it was time to dig out all my old G1's for her :) She already had the G3's mixed in with her other toys. I discovered FIM on TV and got her hooked. So now she has an almost complete G4 collection and I've been buying the exclusives for myself  :biggrin: and when she out grows them I'm keeping them all for myself  :)

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 04:33:21 AM »
Well technically I had more breyers and FSF's as a kid but younger sisters had MLP ... let's just sum it up in one word = yardsale.

Follow that up a few years later by the fact that my stuff had to go with me to college or it was donated to Goodwill .  There are six sibs in my family, I was the experimental first and mom had no clue about things like coming home for winter break - yeah I literally came home surprising her since she'd already given away my room... no worries, solved that by crashing with roomie parents next break, then eventually off campus housing.  Then I was in the army so got pared down to a ruck sack life ... then eons later I am walking down the toy aisle in 2006 wondering what to get my daughter and spy that = wow, my little ponies are back :-)   

the rest of the story is me stumbling around on ebay and craigslist trying to play catch up... getting so bumbed after 2008 when everything went core 7, and finally finding MLPTP and the arena and then seems like eons later in 2008/9 (think 9) I attended the MDPony meet

so my excuse is the collection is someday the kids' (now have three) collection = love the rainbow in my office in the meantime, and the excuse I've had over the years to play ponies with the kids :-) pretty soon all of us will be customizing as well (that's what totally got me hooked - you can do what to a MLP? OMG that's so awesome!)

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 05:21:57 AM »
I never actually stopped. I've been collecting since I was 3. I still have all my ponies. Though alot of their accessories are lost somewhere in time.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline lolaandbean

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 07:15:13 AM »
I found some of my old ponies from childhood. A couple of weeks later I saw the anniversary retro sets in the store. It snowballed from there.

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »
The G3 line.

I saw G2's unfortunately when they were already in the clearance aisle and leaving US shores. I only got one, Secret Tale, and didn't bother with any more afterward. G3 got me back into collecting, to an astounding degree. I just adored how they were so alike to G1. :)

I had my childhood ponies out on my dresser majority of the time beforehand, just didn't actively collect.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline sparkleset80

• Trade Count: (+178)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 09:30:28 AM »
Found this Moondancer on eBay back in 2002, bought her and then I started collecting again!

Clarabel Sapphire

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 02:30:31 PM »
I was going through a difficult period in my life in 2001 and found myself thinking about happier times.  My ponies gave me three years of joy as a kid and I suppose I was looking for ways to recapture this.  I started to think about the ponies I missed out on owning and started looking them up on the internet to cheer myself up.

Ponies were being advertised for sale on something called eBay and I found Blue Belle, the one pony that had eluded me all these years!  :happy:  That was it, I just had to have her in my collection!  I've been collecting G1s ever since :biggrin:

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
G3 had JUST begun, and I remember being in Hot Topic and seeing Kimono and Pinkie Pie for sale.  That just brought back all the memories of having MLP as a kid, and I just *had* to get Kimono.  Then I discovered eBay after trying to see if I could buy some older ponies...  My addiction only went downhill from there lmao.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal