collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Weight loss surgery- Just seeing if anyone has had it  (Read 708 times)

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Weight loss surgery- Just seeing if anyone has had it
« on: January 25, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »
I am curious if anyone here has had it done, or considering it. If you don't want to be public you can PM me if you like. I am considering it myself and just wanted to talk to people who have had it and kinda get tips or experience from them. I was told by the doctor to research all aspects of it before I decide, so that's what I am doing. What better place but the arena where my family and friends are. The method I am thinking of doing is the sleeve, since I've heard so much mixed stuff about the band and such.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Weight loss surgery- Just seeing if anyone has had it
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »
I haven't but a family friend had her stomach stapled and it seemed to work wonderfully for her.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
Just be careful.

I never had surgery for that but I did end up getting super sick which resulted in a gallbladder removal.  Im still suffering from severe complications that I believe could have originated from that.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
My cousin had the sleeve surgery, and it seems to be working out okay for her.  She's lost some weight, but it's slow going mainly because she's pretty sedentary besides that.  Her diet has changed wildly since the surgery and that was probably the most difficult aspect for her, but otherwise no other adverse effects.

I considered weight loss surgery back in 2007, when I was at my heaviest.  I elected against it after much thought, and lost 120 lbs over the next year with diet and exercise.  Not trying to sway you against it, but it's a huge, life-altering decision that I know you'll weigh carefully.  :hug:

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »
That's wonderful Eviecorn, that's a huge change in your life, I am sure you feel much healthier and happier with all of that weight loss!
I agree it's a life changing event and it's a big decision that I am facing. My doctor suggested it because I am borderline diabetic, high blood pressure and early arthritis in my lower back with bone spurs through out the area. Also I have gained weight instead of losing when I started my job at Walmart  (almost a year ago)which I am very active- lifting, walking, stretching sorta stuff. I am at my heaviest I've ever been at this time and due to my back, it's hard for me to actually do alot of exercises. My back's condition has turned worst in the last year, before it was just sorta a pinched nerve with a slight misalignment and my hips were slightly tilted- due to falling a few times in my life. I have done the Chiropractor, and the physical therapy, but the big hitter is the weight. My back is starting to slow me down at work and I don't really like popping pills every time my back wants to seize up. I have a MRI scheduled tomorrow for my spine/hips to see if there is anything else lurking in that area that might be the culprit to my pain.
Thank you for the input so far everyone, I know the ultimate decision is mine, but the more information I get the better I have at making the right choices.

BambooPanda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »
My mom had lost 70lbs before she had surgery,she just couldn't get the weight off so she had the bypass done and she did real well on it, but she also stuck to a strict diet to help the process and she did wonderfully...
I looked into the sleeve last year and i was almost finished with the final step to get it done and i chickened out because there is no guarantee you will loose the weight not to menchin what if something goes wrong in surgery but im also a scaredey cat lol
But i hope the best for you in whatever you do!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:52:11 PM »
I've made a lot of friends in the diet community. I've known a few people who've had various weight loss surgeries done, results are mixed, some also regained and had to lose the weight (again) on their own later. After the surgery they were supposed eat strict post surgery diets, but it varies with the exact procedure. Perhaps look up what would be the dietary requirements for the specific surgery you are looking into would be and try eating those foods now to see if it's something you can stick to. Also the potential side effects, for your specific surgery. (maybe there is a facebook support group for folks with this surgery or are considering it as an option?)

I never had to deal with excess weight hampering the quality of my life to the degree you describe (like the issues with your back), but I have lost and kept off well over 20lbs, I'm not that tall and have a small frame so on me it's a fair bit. I had previously tried to take off those extra lb's I gained for a few years (I worked out at a gym, and did calorie counting), it used to be my "goal" every year to be fit by my birthday which never happened. I haven't had that as my goal for a few years now. What worked for me was a Gary Taubes style plan. His book should be at your local library if you're interested (badly, badly named: "why we get fat and what to do about it"), it focuses on changing the quality of food you eat FIRST, not forcing yourself to eat less quantity. After a while everyone I've known just starts eating less on it anyway, but leaves the table feeling comfortably fed. Anyway, when I first made the switch I didn't exercise at all beyond normal day to day stuff- standing/walking on my feet at work, lifting things etc but the weight was dropping regardless. My fiancee started this diet shortly after he met me and brought down his blood sugars into the healthy range from the pre-diabetic readings he was getting. He's lost an impressive amount of weight as well, most of it in the first few months. In the least it's a book worth checking out of the library for a read.

Regardless of your choice, I wish you all the best and I hope you find the solution that works for you. :)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:07:11 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »
I have an online friend who got weight-loss surgery a couple years ago and hers went beautifully. She did have to change her diet on a massive scale and I remember one of the hardest parts for her was right after the surgery. For about a month, I believe, she had a hard time eating anything except really light stuff. It ended up working out, because even though it was hard to not really be able to eat any "real" food, it kick-started her weight loss. She became much more active, much more confident, way happier.

The other hard part she mentioned was the reactions of people who liked her before her surgery, but not after. When the weight was falling off of her people tried to tell her how unhealthy she looked, she was too skinny, etc. Some people were pretty appalled that she went for the surgery. A lot of people seem to think of it like a "quick fix", but it took her well over a year of life changes, tests and all that to even get approved for the surgery, then she had to deal with the recovery period. It's not an easy procedure to go through, but for some people it's necessary. I checked out my friend's Facebook recently and she still looks amazing.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide and I hope you find a way to get yourself back to a size where you feel healthy and comfortable.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:29 PM »
My mom had the gastric bypass about 8 years ago. While she's lost over 100 pounds, it's been a difficult road. It sort of changed her body and she would throw up every day and she still gets sick sometimes. She said she doesn't enjoy food as much any more. She also had a complication from it and had massive pain in her stomach and we rushed her to the hospital :( We finally figured out (by the doctors cutting her open) that she had a mass the size of a baseball in her stomach :shocked: So it's not been an easy road for her, but she says she's still happy that she had it and lost all the weight.
My Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal