collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So how do you decide on reposes?  (Read 228 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
So how do you decide on reposes?
« on: January 23, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »
Ok so I'm currently working on a side project that I pretty much wanted to do for a while that is kind of a repose and kind of not... I can't go too much into detail but this thing involves joints ^^;

What has me stumped right now is where I need to cut on this thing XD I'm not in a hurry to do this as I will have less time when I start my new 40hr job but this is a project I -plan- on finishing
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Zaphy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: So how do you decide on reposes?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:14:11 AM »
Eh, with the repose I did I didn't worry too much about where to cut. I ended up cutting a lot off and just tossing it, because I had to resculpt so much of it. I figure, you can always just resculpt whatever you cut off too much of accidentally *shrug*

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 03:17:41 AM »
I'm just doing my first repose but it seems to be working OK in my mind. I tried to cut her joints as if she was a teddy bear (if that makes sense?). Looks OK to me! (just not very realistic movement)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 06:35:06 AM »
Sometimes I mark my pony with chalk or pencil on the cut lines to help me get a visual first.  It helps to consider the shape on the plasic on the cut line, if you cut and leave plastic curving outwards, it will stick out and need to be trimmed later.  I try to leave as much original pony as possible for stability. 

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
The last one I did had a lot of different...ummm...angles? taking place.  I knew that both her arms and legs were going to be completely repositioned from their normal standing pose, so I started by cutting them off right where the legs meet the body, in a sort of circular pattern.  The circular pattern helps if you're only rotating the leg placement, then you don't need to use as much clay to attach it and it stays closer to the original length of the limb, so it's easier to keep it proportioned too.  I also knew I would need to change her head placement, so I basically held the head up to the body where I wanted it and sort of visualized what parts of the neck would be in the way of placing it where I wanted, and then I just started slicing away at those spots. 

So...if you look at the picture: The straight leg was basically just rotated with little modification.  The bent leg was cut up and around the cutie mark area to keep that rounded "flank" look.  Then cut where I wanted the knee to be with extra removed to accommodate for the extra length made by the new kneecap.  The arms are actually scuplted from scratch because I wanted them to be less rigid, so no original pony parts there.  The mouth is just scuplted over the original face, no cutting.  And the head had most of the neck cut away, then remade with the addition of shoulder blades on the back to make it transition a little more naturally. 

Whew!  I think that's it, but I hope it helps!  Reposes are a lot of work, but super rewarding once they're done!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:47:14 PM »
I see, thanks guys for your input. Went ahead and hacked the pony XD and will have to do some clean up but I think I can get what I need done... on my days off from work xD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal