collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Wydowna Spider Fan Club Thread  (Read 12801 times)

empirical

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Wydowna Spider Fan Club Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »

I think she's actually meant to be a Black Widow, with the pun on her name, coloration, and the little red hourglasses on her boots. The cowboy theme is a bit strange, but I'm sure Mattel would have found a fun way to spin it (no pun intended) like they did with Operetta and not being delegated to France.

A tarantula girl would be really interesting though, since there's so many species and colors to draw from that would be absolutely gorgeous! Something like a Cobalt Blue (I'll let the brave google it, since I know we're not all fans of arachnids), would look great interpreted as a doll. Imagine a black and blue spider girl with a gradient of color to her limbs? I think the result would be much more interesting than a Black Widow. :)

i didn't noticed the hour glass. i'd put my money on you being right. the wynonna judd part of my theory(in my most recent comment) sill makes sense though. the way she spells it(wy instead of wi) and the fact that she's a country and western singer who also has red hair... if i'm right about that part then the only thing winona ryder would have to do with this doll is the rhyming name.

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »
A tarantula girl would be really interesting though, since there's so many species and colors to draw from that would be absolutely gorgeous! Something like a Cobalt Blue (I'll let the brave google it, since I know we're not all fans of arachnids), would look great interpreted as a doll. Imagine a black and blue spider girl with a gradient of color to her limbs? I think the result would be much more interesting than a Black Widow. :)
Oh wow. What a gorgeous spider. I had no idea there was such a colorful tarantula! I agree that a doll based on that spider would be fab.

i don't think she has but wynonna judd is a country and western star... could have something to do with it.
Yeah, I've been wondering if her name was meant to be a play on Wynonna Judd's name as well as Winowna Ryder's.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
A blue tarantula would be quite beautiful, but we have a handful of blue dolls already and I'd be quite happy to see a black doll!

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
A blue tarantula would be quite beautiful, but we have a handful of blue dolls already and I'd be quite happy to see a black doll!
Echo this Tuney.  I don't understand why there are so many white dolls, yet when it comes to dark skinned girls, there are none.  Clawdeen is as close to a dark skinned beauty, but even she is rather light skinned.  I can't fathom why a line that celebrates diversity refuses to produce a doll who resembles a HUGE percentage of our population.  I'm about as pasty white as it gets, but I'd run to the store to buy a dark skinned doll. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2013, 05:23:37 PM »
I think some people would think it offensive I'd they made a doll that was literally black like the Wydowna prototype. Aesthetically, it would look neat, but I wonder if it would remind people of "black face" makeup and all of the badness it implies. :(

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »
I think some people would think it offensive I'd they made a doll that was literally black like the Wydowna prototype. Aesthetically, it would look neat, but I wonder if it would remind people of "black face" makeup and all of the badness it implies. :(
This is a very good point you bring up.  I'm inclined to believe that there are some people who look for controversy and therefore find it.  I'm not at all discrediting the reasons for being offended by the "black face" make-up; it was truly shameful and horrific.  However, the intention of the black face was to be cruel.  With a character like Wydowna, her whole image is based off turning something scary into something friendly, positive and approachable.  Sometimes us adults can only see the negative and perverse in things, while children see things with refreshing purity and innocence.  If we insist on taking a toy like Wydowna and turning her into a controversial figure, then we are essentially telling our children that there is something wrong with being very dark skinned.  To me, that type of attitude is shameful and a controversy. 

This is my opinion though, and I know that companies are so afraid of a negative image in the public eye that they will scrap any idea that might bring bad publicity.  I truly hope this is not the fate of Wydowna.  It would also be a shame if they only released her as a SDCC only because not many children would get the chance to own her. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »
I have also been wondering if parents would find this doll to be too controversial for their kids. It's really easy to get these kinds of responses these days so I am sure toy companies try to be careful. But I'm hoping this isn't the case. She would certianly make a unique doll.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
The Wydowna Spider Fan Club Thread
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »
As far as the blackface theory goes, controversy would be producing a spider doll in Caucasian form! Besides, we've already seen that Wydowna makes an appearance in the Power Ghoul comics. If Mattel was that worried about blackface backlash (which is ridiculous to begin with) they would not have put her in at all. In my opinion, that is.

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2013, 12:02:56 AM »
As far as the blackface theory goes, controversy would be producing a spider doll in Caucasian form! Besides, we've already seen that Wydowna makes an appearance in the Power Ghoul comics. If Mattel was that worried about blackface backlash (which is ridiculous to begin with) they would not have put her in at all. In my opinion, that is.

I agree with this train of thought. First of all, she's not human. She's based on an anthropomorphic spider, in a line full of fairly obvious monsters. This isn't Barbie suddenly introducing her new friend Jemimah. And almost every character is technicolor. When the main character of the line is mint green, with a pink best friend, I think the majority of the color argument goes out the window.

Would there be people who make this particular argument? Yes. There are people who think Skelita is anorexic. There will also be fringe critics. But I think what's really holding Mattel back is the cost; I imagine making a doll with three times the arms (on a torso that normally takes two) isn't cheap. I think there's also a bit of fan tease. Operetta was mentioned in the diaries early on, and there were little hints they'd throw out in later diaries and other supplemental material. Then after no mention at SDCC, when we thought it would be at least another year, she just randomly appeared as a FB leak. I think they'll do something similar with AJ/Wydona.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2013, 06:56:42 AM »
It is indeed a tricky subject! People are easily offended when it comes to children's toys. Monster High pushes envelopes every day just by principle, I'm sure.

Wydowna might actually look really good in midnight blue or royal purple! I hope we get to see her on the shelves some day; I really want to see her final form. :)

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
One day when I was buying a Ghoulia... The lady said, OMG that thing is hideous... I blankly looked at her and with a straight face said... well if you think she is ugly, you should see the customs done of her, she is a zombie after all and there are ones that have a ton of blood and gore and smiled... She looked at me and finished ringing me up... Didnt say anything else besides have a nice day.... which I am pretty sure they are required to do... lol 

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
Oh goodness, lol to the object you were purchasing? That's kind of hmmmm....not something I'd expect a cashier to say unless you were like "Isn't this hideous? I'm gonna make it better" or something to lead her into it....since you don't want to offend customers and all.

I remember going into ToysRUS one day and hearing "Look at how thin they are, at least barbie has some thighs!"

lol...I understand why they'd be worried (public image and kids feeling the pressure to be slim etc. argument)  but kids like them and so do I anyway!

Always some reason to not like or not buy something if you look for it. Which I do if I want to avoid spending money.....heee

Wydowna would make sense as an exclusive due to cost, but I'd love her to get a general release for everyone....and well customs.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »
I would have said, "Thanks for sharing your opinion. To be perfectly honest, I think this 'ugly' doll is a hell of a lot prettier than you."

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2013, 11:02:22 AM »
I would have said, "Thanks for sharing your opinion. To be perfectly honest, I think this 'ugly' doll is a hell of a lot prettier than you."

A lot prettier than her attitude that's for sure!  You go tuneful, :hifive: I'd have to be in the moment to know what I'd be able to say...I'm not as cool lol

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2013, 11:07:38 AM »
One day when I was buying a Ghoulia... The lady said, OMG that thing is hideous (...)

You should tell her boss that she's trying to convince customers not to buy something :lol:
I mean, she was essentially telling you that you have bad taste. You should have said: "Oh wow, you're right! That is one ugly doll. I will just put her back and buy nothing at all. Bye!" ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal