collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Heavy/thick comforters?  (Read 719 times)

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
Heavy/thick comforters?
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
I've been on the hunt for something new for my bed for a while.  I've had the same red and gold Oriental dragon bedding since I was 16. >>

I'm very picky.  x.x  I've gone through two other comforter/bedding sets that only lasted me a few days because the comforters were just so paper thin and I didn't find them comfortable!  I like being warm and snuggly, not cold and drafty.

I've looked at bedding sets in department stores and at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  Even the $200 sets seem to be lacking stuffing.  It's mostly due to my climate I'm sure (coastal South Carolina).  I bought another one today on sale at a department store.  I made sure I opened the bag and felt it before I bought it.  It felt fine (very well made.  Not cheap at all!), but when I put it on my bed, I was disappointed to see that it was just as paper thin as the last two I bought from Target (admittedly really cheap).  The sad thing is that it looks beautiful on my bed and I don't think I'll find anything else that looks this good. :<

Do they not make really thick comforters in bedding sets anymore or something?  Help me out here, guys.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:00:26 PM by Kaeldre »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy/thick comforters?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 05:01:39 PM »
Goose-down duvets are VERY warm and they don't need to be that thick. Mattress warmers are pretty nifty too, probably better than electric blankets. I only need mine on for about 20 minutes and then I'm warm enough for the whole night. They don't use that much electricity so I've heard.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:30:13 PM »
I'm from an area where it doesn't get "cold" so I'm useless. Good luck though!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »
I bought a nice puff quilt for my bed and it's quite heavy and keeps me very warm! My my mom and sister like it very cold at night so the quilt keeps me nice and toasty :) I bought it from figi's gallery and if you type in "josephine" you'll find it. I know the color is not for everyone, but I love pink :biggrin: I think they have a purple one too. It's expensive, but I adore it :) The only bad thing about it is it loses fuzz for some reason. It did it quite a lot when I first got it, but not so much any more.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links to other sites so Mods, please edit it out if it's not allowed :blush:

Anyway, here is the quilt I got :) http://www.figis.com/product/josephine+puff+quilt+bedspread.do?from=Search
My Wish List

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »
I never had any luck with the comforters that come in sets. I bought a really nice down alternative duvet and just bought a few sets of duvet covers/shams. Much nicer and easier to wash.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »
I bought a nice puff quilt for my bed and it's quite heavy and keeps me very warm! My my mom and sister like it very cold at night so the quilt keeps me nice and toasty :) I bought it from figi's gallery and if you type in "josephine" you'll find it. I know the color is not for everyone, but I love pink :biggrin: I think they have a purple one too. It's expensive, but I adore it :) The only bad thing about it is it loses fuzz for some reason. It did it quite a lot when I first got it, but not so much any more.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links to other sites so Mods, please edit it out if it's not allowed :blush:

Anyway, here is the quilt I got :) http://www.figis.com/product/josephine+puff+quilt+bedspread.do?from=Search

Not really my thing, but adorable nonetheless!

Post Merge: January 18, 2013, 08:17:12 PM

I never had any luck with the comforters that come in sets. I bought a really nice down alternative duvet and just bought a few sets of duvet covers/shams. Much nicer and easier to wash.

My last set (Bed in a Bag) was really thick and fluffy.  It was just cheaply made from horrible fabric. ><

I've looked at separate comforters and shams, but I can't find anything that matches my room.  My room is gold, black, and red.  Everything I find is either white, grey, blue, cream, tan...basically everything BUT black, red, and/or gold. ><
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:17:12 PM by Kaeldre »

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »
I have the big thick polyester type blankets. It's like a rug it's so heavy I have to send it out to get it washed. Not about stuffing I hate the slick material stuff is made of. Give me warm and fuzzy. This thing is like the weight and texture of a bathrobe. * snuggle*
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »
I have the big thick polyester type blankets. It's like a rug it's so heavy I have to send it out to get it washed. Not about stuffing I hate the slick material stuff is made of. Give me warm and fuzzy. This thing is like the weight and texture of a bathrobe. * snuggle*

I love those! O:

I'm thinking of getting a few really hefty blankets like that and sandwiching them between the comforter and sheets.

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:22:33 PM »
Goosedown is very light but very very warm, and I think you can get different degrees of warmth so beware if you go this way, we went too warm and had to get a lighter comforter for summer!  We had a thick duvet cover that made our bedding quite heavy and found it shifted so much it was uncomfortable. Now we have a thinner cover for our goosedown and it's perfect! It's light but so warm! I was all-for heavy blankets too until my hubby convinced me to try this new cover and I realize that if it's still warm, light is nice as the blankets actually stay put more when there are the two of us tossing and turning.  When it's just me though, I used to sometimes add a blanket on top, for the added weight and added warmth. Now I have a body-pillow and it adds heat so I dont' have to do that anymore. I love my body-pillow, it's the BEST bedding I've bought I think... I'm a side-sleeper and it's SO comfy!

I hope you find just the right bedding for you!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:25:49 PM by zabe77 »

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 11:28:43 PM »
From what I've seen, duvets seem to be what I'm looking for.  Find a big fluffy one and layer it with my current comforter...I think that might do the trick.  A trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond is in order tomorrow!

Though down comforters sound really comfy... >>
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:34:11 PM by Kaeldre »

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
A different idea for you: a knitted or crocheted blanket.  Daughter has sensory processing issues and LOVES deep pressure.  She has a blanket my grandmother made that is heavy and warm.  Hurricane to out like a light in 5 minutes.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »
Well, I'm daft. x3  I didn't know that duvets and down comforters were the same thing!

I picked up an awesome one on sale.  It's EXACTLY what I was looking for!  Gonna layer it with my current comforter.

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »
Yay! Sweet dreams!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 08:04:05 AM »
Yay!  I love my thick fluffy synthetic duvet.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal