collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Some advice on painting and symbols?  (Read 1831 times)

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
Re: Some advice on painting and symbols?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
okiegirl - how many hanks of hair did it take to rehair the G3 Styling pony?

I used 6 uncut hanks of hair.
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 12:31:38 PM »
This thread is awesome...

I'm awaiting some DH (my first batch ever, fingers crossed!) and I have a pony waiting for everything new. I can't wait to try this on her.

I do have another question... I don't know if it'll get answered because it's not in the first page but...

Any advice on dying bodies? Do I need to remove all their eye paint as well as symbol before doing it?

Thanks!
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
Alright, I'll try to see if my Michael's has something like that.
I have Liquitex (not bought just for ponies--if I had, I wouldn't have gotten heavy body) and I have flow-aid. I have been putting off painting my ponies as I am having clay-sanding issues, so I have yet to see if this works.
I do have two cheapy Martha Stewart metalics, though. Does anyone know a good brand that has glittery/metallic paints?
My dad has some Dullcote gloss spray...is that usually a no-no? I can just pick up the matte next time I'm at the store, but I'm just wondering.

If you go to your local art shop they should have a decent selection of artist grade acrylics in metallic.  I think some places also carry shimmer pigments you can mix directly into the paint too.  I'm not really sure what to tell you to look for or where to look, since I don't know what would be available to you locally, but I do strongly suggest going out there and just looking.

If you can't find sanding film locally, it's available on eBay as well for pretty much the same price.  This is the film I use:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MODELERS-MICRO-SANDING-FILM-K-S-5-Sheet-Assortment-/400240170490?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5d302c55fa

What issues with clay sanding are you having?

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
Any advice on dying bodies? Do I need to remove all their eye paint as well as symbol before doing it?

If you plan on having a different symbol than the original pony, then yes, definitely remove the symbol first. I once dyed a pony while keeping the symbol, and when I went to remove it, the shape of the original symbol was still there because the dye couldn't go through it.

As for the eyes, I imagine that the same thing would happen. Please note that, when dying ponies, the color bleeds through the paint after you seal it, especially with lighter colors and darker dyes. So, I think it may be better to keep the original eyes for that sort of custom.

I've never had success in dying a G3 -- I'd imagine that you would need the water to be at a rolling boil. I usually just nuke the water, which isn't hot enough for a G3... Works fine for a G1 or a thin plastic fakie, though! Also, if you're dying a G4, the body and head will likely have a lot of mismatch due to the different materials they're made out of.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »
I did a youtube tutorial on dying ponies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGiYSk_d6A8
But yes, you'll want to remove the symbol and prbly the eyes before you dye them.
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

berylliumpone

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 08:36:21 PM »

If you go to your local art shop they should have a decent selection of artist grade acrylics in metallic.  I think some places also carry shimmer pigments you can mix directly into the paint too.  I'm not really sure what to tell you to look for or where to look, since I don't know what would be available to you locally, but I do strongly suggest going out there and just looking.

If you can't find sanding film locally, it's available on eBay as well for pretty much the same price.  This is the film I use:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MODELERS-MICRO-SANDING-FILM-K-S-5-Sheet-Assortment-/400240170490?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5d302c55fa

What issues with clay sanding are you having?

Thanks for the clarification with the sanding film.
Now I'm getting slightly off-topic, but the clay sanding issues I'm having are do to inexperience. I just don't quite know the right technique. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, though. ;)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »

If you plan on having a different symbol than the original pony, then yes, definitely remove the symbol first. I once dyed a pony while keeping the symbol, and when I went to remove it, the shape of the original symbol was still there because the dye couldn't go through it.

As for the eyes, I imagine that the same thing would happen. Please note that, when dying ponies, the color bleeds through the paint after you seal it, especially with lighter colors and darker dyes. So, I think it may be better to keep the original eyes for that sort of custom.

I've never had success in dying a G3 -- I'd imagine that you would need the water to be at a rolling boil. I usually just nuke the water, which isn't hot enough for a G3... Works fine for a G1 or a thin plastic fakie, though! Also, if you're dying a G4, the body and head will likely have a lot of mismatch due to the different materials they're made out of.

I did a youtube tutorial on dying ponies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGiYSk_d6A8
But yes, you'll want to remove the symbol and prbly the eyes before you dye them.

Great! Wow thanks so much for all the advice. I just got a G3 Sunny Daze who is certainly custom bait, as well as a G1 Baby Tiddlywinks and think I -might- try to dye them... and then, it's on to painting some symbols! I haven't had time to even start on them yet, but I really appreciate all this info!

My Want List

Pickenprod

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
This thread is great. I'd never heard of microfilm before.

SparklersOasis

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
This thread is great. I'd never heard of microfilm before.

No joke, I have nothing to contribute, but I'm definitely picking up tips!

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »
I will post to add I don't recommend tattooing because you do get a very thin sheen/seal and it is much more noticeable than painting straight on.

I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
What I have probably has been said, but thin your paint. Multiple layers may be more tedious but it is SO worth it in the end to get neat, factory like symbols. I usually end up painting in something similar to the fetal position when I do customs because working small means being close with me. Make sure you have a comfy workspace with everything you need! Rehairing is a good thing to do when you're sitting watching TV too, it becomes an unconscious thing and suddenly your pony is done!
And make sure (especially when dying a pony) to wash all the acetone off. If there is still some left on the pony (same goes for glue) the dye won't come out even. I suggest using Rit brand dyes in the powdered form. Boil some water, add some of the powder and stir, then let the pony sit in there for a while and rinse her off when you're done!

Best of luck!

Offline FluffleNuff

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • ME MYSELF AND PONY
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 01:04:32 AM »
This seems so cool! Sadly I don't know if all these supplies are available over here...

I really wanna make a custom, but shipping from dollyhair.com is way too expensive yet I don't know where to get doll hair from! Anyone knows if Art Friend or Singapore sells these stuff?

Thanks!
A PONY A DAY KEEPS THE SMILES ON YOUR FACE

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 06:42:02 AM »
This seems so cool! Sadly I don't know if all these supplies are available over here...

I really wanna make a custom, but shipping from dollyhair.com is way too expensive yet I don't know where to get doll hair from! Anyone knows if Art Friend or Singapore sells these stuff?

Thanks!

I know sometimes you can get... they are like hair extensions for kids at like dollar stores and the like.  The hair is harder to work with and the colors aren't great, but in a pinch or for a specific project they work ok.  Also there is a dollyhair trade thread here in the customs forum, you could try to find someone closer to you who could trade/sell.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »
I really appreciate all the info on painting...

Here's my personal update...
I can't paint with tiny brushes... my hands are NOT steady... the best thing I can do is use a paint marker and seal seal seal... I've only done one custom so far where I've painted her body and her symbol. I've done one where I've painted her symbol. That's it. I really dislike painting and think I'm horrible at it. I keep trying - thin pain, better paint, better paint brushes... I just can't get it to look factory...
The pony I made was a yellow pony from a Parasol, it took me probably 50 coats, some sanding, repainting, etc etc etc... and still in the photos she looks blotchy. Under normal indoor light she looks okay, but...

How do you do such small, detailed symbols?

Like for example - look at Quackers. I want to paint that. I could paint the basic duck shape, but what the heck do I use to make the tiny, tiny fine lines in the umbrella and such?

I'm awful at this... :(

My Want List

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 11:09:01 AM »
Just keep practicing!  That's really what I think the main "trick" to it is.  Draw and/or paint the Quackers symbol on paper several times to get a feel for the lines.  Try to work small, the same scale if possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal