collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MH where will it be in 10 yrs? WIll it stand the test of time?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
MH where will it be in 10 yrs? WIll it stand the test of time?
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:04:16 AM »
 ok so i got to thinking..  where is MH headed. will the dolls still be sought after and collected 10yrs from now?
 is it just a passing fad?  Are we in the heat of there collect ability?

To me  MH is kind of like the new barbie.  it is new , fun, funky and fresh with alot of great messages ( be yourself ,be a monster) etc.
 I feel like the MH line offers alot more than other  playline dolls out there,  it is more than just boys and fashion. 

what do you think? do you think mattel has done it again, and sdcc frankie will be this centurys  1950s barbie?
is monster high going to stand the test of time  or is  it just another cabbage patch craze LOL

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
Re: MH where will it be in 10 yrs? WIll it stand the test of time?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
As much as I love my Monsters, I honestly think it will pass. There's only so much they can do with it. =/

I'd love to see tons more introduced but I think girls will eventually grow out of it. Considering they have other 'different' type dolls out there to chose from (Novi Stars, Bratzillaz)

Also, I think it would be overwhelming and the ideas would kind of just recycle themselves if they kept going for ten years. Imagine how many Schools Out, Classroom, and Dance dolls they would do! lol

And I'm not sure they'll have enough monsters to come up with new characters. I'm even running of ideas to day dream about  :P

Still, as long as they make them, I'll buy them!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Foxy_Ninja

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 12:18:23 PM »
Well in all fairness Barbie is still kicking around and they recycle her and her sisters in different forms over and over and over again.

Offline Daiyuflower

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »
I really hope MH sticks around for as long as possible, but I am afraid that the interest in monsters as a whole is a passing fad.  Once the Twilight and Walking Dead/Zombie craze passes, girls may not be as interested anymore.  But who knows?  If Mattel continues to release new and interesting dolls, perhaps it will stick around as a new staple :)

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »
*snip* And I'm not sure they'll have enough monsters to come up with new characters. I'm even running of ideas to day dream about  :P *snip*

Allow me to introduce you to Rsac3 on DA for daydreaming purposes (no affiliation):
http://rsac3.deviantart.com/gallery/27984209

Lines he's drawn include:
Rockstar
Fairies
Class President
Date Night
Jungle Adventure
Musical Madness
In Space
Cowghouls
NASCAR
Rainy Day
Guy versions of the girls

You might be like, "NASCAR? Lame." But I would kill for this Deuce & I don't even like the boys.

edited to add pic, edited to correct a word
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:17:59 PM by shockponie »
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »
New lines, sure. You don't need to look any further than Bratz to get some ideas of what could possibly be done with Monster High... And since Monster High competes with Bratz, I'm sure Mattel would love to outdo them on some counts.

I think a bigger problem would be coming up with more characters. I know that a lot of people think that Mattel should try making monsters from other cultures' folklore, but, quite frankly, I don't see that happening. They're going to run out of monsters eventually... Maybe not now, but at some point.

I think Monster High is very much a trend. Ever since Twilight came out, there was an explosion of supernatural young adult fiction, and I think Mattel wanted to cash in on that. (I also think that beating Bratz had a lot to do with it, considering their similarities...) Monster High will not last forever.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »
Ok Rsac3 seriously needs to work for Mattel. I would buy almost every single one of those if they were made into dolls. What an amazing amount of creativity in those outfits.. ugh.. dying here.
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline Daiyuflower

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »
*snip* And I'm not sure they'll have enough monsters to come up with new characters. I'm even running of ideas to day dream about  :P *snip*

Allow me to introduce you to Rsac3 on DA for daydreaming purposes (no affiliation):

Lines she's drawn include:
Rockstar
Fairies
Class President
Date Night
Jungle Adventure
Musical Madness
In Space
Cowghouls
NASCAR
Rainy Day

You might be like, "NASCAR? Lame." But I would kill for this Deuce & I don't even like the boys.

Wow these are amazing!!  I really love the Date Night series ^_^

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:18:14 PM »
However, I do think that MH had the potential to be a cult classic in the future, when the dolls are considered retro/vintage. So, it might stick around in that sense.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »

Lines he's drawn include:
Rockstar
Fairies
Class President
Date Night
Jungle Adventure
Musical Madness
In Space
Cowghouls
NASCAR
Rainy Day

edited to add pic, edited to correct a word

These are amazing!  :shocked: They NEED to work for Mattel. I would buy every single one of these dolls. I want them all. *drools*

I think MH will be around for at least 5 more years. They're just so unique compared to everything else that is out there and they are extremely popular.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

roselalonde

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
Honestly I don't really think Mattel will still be making Monster High in ten years, but I do think it will keep its following of adult collectors. At least, a small portion of them. As for their collectibility, I think at least things like Wave 1 and DotD will still be selling fairly highly.

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »
I think that it will last at least maybe 5 years? It feels like a trend but they really could get even more creative if it keeps going. Looking at this for sure makes me feel that way:

But since they keep following up on swim line 1,2,3, etc and schools out 1,2,3 and dance/sleep time 1,2,3. It could get stale unless like the new swim wave they include other characters like Venus who aren't at the forefront of the series.  I like different swimsuits but seeing Frankie and Draculaura over and over will get old. Even if I like them. ;D

Kids do phase out of things super quick these days. The life cycle of toys/electronics gets shorter and shorter.  They will sell them to buy the next thing that interests them more at their different life stages.

Nostalgia may play a big factor later when they come back for a few of their favorites. I know  that it influences my current buying behavior :)

Melissa

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »
This was mentioned a few days ago in the MH Discussion thread so I'll reiterate what I said there. I, personally, think that Monster High will be around for a while. They've done well enough to scare Bratz into doing their own version. I don't think the quality of Bratz dolls are up to par with Mattel. I know we've all had complaints about our MH dolls from time to time, but Bratz dolls just seem so cheap- and they've been around for 12 years now.

Monster High is also an extremely creative line... there are so many possibilities that haven't even been touched yet. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of monsters/mythological creatures they can design... For some ideas you can see my CAM idea thread here: http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,316210.msg526594.html#msg526594

AND the message of MH is a lot more positive, it's about embracing your flaws and being comfortable with yourself, vs Bratz being about... being spoiled and bratty?

Offline Mintymints

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Sock collector extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 07:10:36 PM »
I think that they need to keep quality control and such and they'll be around for a lot longer. Barbies and Bratz are still around somehow... right?
Think about all the pink glitter mini dresses Barbie has?
The dream houses?
100s of cars?

Somehow Barbie continues to do well... I will never understand how Barbie is so popular, but I like them. Mattel is excellent at what they do, so I hope Monster High will last.
I do believe if they put the time they put in Barbie into MH it could last such a long time.

Think about how well ponies always do. Considering they are lumps of plastic (That I LOVE and have no clue why).
I hope Monster High lasts is my point. It is such a good idea and if they screw it up, I'll be really upset!

By Sunnyrain~Avvie by Starsteppony on DA

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »
interesting hearing everyone's views :)

I  would hope MH last at least 5 years i mean we are on like year 3/4 now so i hope it is not dying anytime soon LOL!
I myself think it will be around in 10yrs time. because like some of you are saying barbie and bratz are still around for some reason ! and i think MH is so much more creative and well put together than bratz ( no offense bratz fans)

I think it could help if they would get a regular 30min MH cartoon show going or something. alot of the kids i know  have asked me why they don't have that yet.  I think it would help keep more interest.  Hey it worked for us kids in the 80s  :)

Mattel may also have to change face molds or update  the" look"  and body types  in 10 years, maybe sooner.  But I think that is part of what has kept barbie alive.   They just keep updating her LOL so she is current.   And it has helped keep  MLP alive too.. So,  Frankie may have a new look in 2023 but i am hoping at least she will still be around.

BTW those MH designs ARE cute. Quick Mattel Hire that guy!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal