collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best place to buy Monster High?  (Read 1367 times)

SpookyBoo

• Trade Count: (0)
Best place to buy Monster High?
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
I've been wanting to get started in collecting these guys and was wondering where the best places to shop for them are? There are a few things I've been wanting that I never see at places like Target or Walmart anymore, namely the rag dolls. :C I've been searching high and low online for Spectra and Abbey and so far the only ones I've found are on Amazon and pretty expensive. Any help and tips would be very much appreciated! Thanks guys.  :biggrin:

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to buy Monster High?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:34:50 PM »
My local Toysrus still has a few so I'd just check around.  I know Biglots had some a while back.

SpookyBoo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:50:15 PM »
My local Toysrus still has a few so I'd just check around.  I know Biglots had some a while back.

Sweet! I'll have to check that out. Toys R' Us has been pretty good for nice Monster High finds so far. Hopefully I can be lucky enough to find those rag dolls. I've never actually seen them in stores, now that I think about it. Not the Spectra and Abbey ones I mean. Anyways~ I'll definitely have to give those places another look. Thank you!

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »
The best places, price-wise anyway, are indeed the big guys, Walmart and Target. Toys R Us definitely has good stock too but is always pricier. Lots of other stores will have them on and off too... basically anywhere there is a toy aisle is a MH hunting ground :D

But MH stock moves so fast though that finding older releases is unfortunately always tricky no matter where you look. Mandy's awesome thread stickied in this forum is a great reference for what's current.

The internets will be your best bet for HTF older dolls. And you could always ask in the BST here if anyone has seen something you're looking for locally and would be willing to pick it up for you ^.^ With the ragdoll plushies specifically, I still see some occasionally at TRU (in Canada), but neither Spectra or Abbey's for a while, alas. I don't know if they're still shipping to stores or not.

Happy collecting and welcome to monsterland  :biggrin:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

SpookyBoo

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »
The best places, price-wise anyway, are indeed the big guys, Walmart and Target. Toys R Us definitely has good stock too but is always pricier. Lots of other stores will have them on and off too... basically anywhere there is a toy aisle is a MH hunting ground :D

But MH stock moves so fast though that finding older releases is unfortunately always tricky no matter where you look. Mandy's awesome thread stickied in this forum is a great reference for what's current.

The internets will be your best bet for HTF older dolls. And you could always ask in the BST here if anyone has seen something you're looking for locally and would be willing to pick it up for you ^.^ With the ragdoll plushies specifically, I still see some occasionally at TRU (in Canada), but neither Spectra or Abbey's for a while, alas. I don't know if they're still shipping to stores or not.

Happy collecting and welcome to monsterland  :biggrin:

First off, thanks for replying with so much info! I feel like I have a better idea where to go and what to look for now with these resources you pointed me to! If I have no luck in finding the rag dolls and someone would be willing to pick them up for me, that would be awesome. :heart: I might just end up caving and buying them off of Amazon when I have the extra cash. That being said I'll keep an eye and see what I can find both while out hunting the aisles and on the internet, haha. I had a feeling some of the older dolls would be harder to come across, but maybe not impossible!

Oh, man. MH stock really does move quickly. That's one of the first things I noticed when I first began looking into them. I have to say, I'm already falling in love with these little monsters. Each one is so unique and clever! Once again thank you and I look forward to collecting!

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:18:11 PM »
You're very welcome! :hug:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Melissa

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »
I agree that Target and Walmart will offer the best prices.

Then comes Toys 'R' Us.

And lastly, Justice and Kohl's. They mark up the costs of the dolls so much, that even with their frequent 40% off offers that both seem to run, it's still more expensive than Target or Walmart, possibly comparable with Toys 'R' Us.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 01:15:50 AM »
I get all mine at Target and Wal-Mart.

Sometimes I find that Toys R Us had a better selection, though. But all three places are great to buy them.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 05:23:18 AM »
All of those stores are the ones I go to as well. Just keep in mind that even though one Walmart or Target may not have anything, another one nearby may. I am in close distance to a lot of Targets and Walmarts and have found that stock really varies from different store locations. So even though one close to you may not have anything another a little ways away may. That's the trickiness behind the hunt lol. That and stock at those stores can come in any day and they don't know when their getting it or what their getting. So the store may have not had anything in stock yesterday but has full shelves the next. If there is something specific I am after (when new releases are coming out) I call the stores first to see if they even have it in stock. And of course we all know TRU has a good MH section, they usually get shipments only once a week so it may be worth it to ask an associate what night they get their truck and then go in the next morning when the new stock is out.

Good luck hunting!
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 05:57:43 AM »
I have yet to buy a doll at TRU in my area (even though I've checked there a few dozen times since I've started collecting). I don't know if I ALWAYS have bad timing there, or if everything (minus old CAMs) gets snapped up when it hits shelves. I have better luck at Walmart, Kmart, & Target.

That being said, I still love the thrill of the hunt. It's extremely frustrating at times, but when I get that taste of sweet, sweet victory, it's worth it.  :P
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SpookyBoo

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 07:13:08 AM »
I agree that Target and Walmart will offer the best prices.

Then comes Toys 'R' Us.

And lastly, Justice and Kohl's. They mark up the costs of the dolls so much, that even with their frequent 40% off offers that both seem to run, it's still more expensive than Target or Walmart, possibly comparable with Toys 'R' Us.

I'd heard about Kohl's having them but never Justice! Thanks for the tip.  :biggrin: I'm lucky enough to have a Justice and a Target in the same strip mall area. When I get a chance I'll have to check them out.

Post Merge: January 16, 2013, 07:17:32 AM

All of those stores are the ones I go to as well. Just keep in mind that even though one Walmart or Target may not have anything, another one nearby may. I am in close distance to a lot of Targets and Walmarts and have found that stock really varies from different store locations. So even though one close to you may not have anything another a little ways away may. That's the trickiness behind the hunt lol. That and stock at those stores can come in any day and they don't know when their getting it or what their getting. So the store may have not had anything in stock yesterday but has full shelves the next. If there is something specific I am after (when new releases are coming out) I call the stores first to see if they even have it in stock. And of course we all know TRU has a good MH section, they usually get shipments only once a week so it may be worth it to ask an associate what night they get their truck and then go in the next morning when the new stock is out.

Good luck hunting!

Oh, yeah definitely. It's the same when I go pony hunting. Usually I'll hit two or three stores because of that very reason. Now I'll have to do the same for the MH dolls. I asked one of the associates at TRU about when they get new stock and they said usually on every Thursday. I'll have to do the same for Target and Walmart now. Thanks for tips!  :biggrin:

Post Merge: January 16, 2013, 07:26:45 AM

I have yet to buy a doll at TRU in my area (even though I've checked there a few dozen times since I've started collecting). I don't know if I ALWAYS have bad timing there, or if everything (minus old CAMs) gets snapped up when it hits shelves. I have better luck at Walmart, Kmart, & Target.

That being said, I still love the thrill of the hunt. It's extremely frustrating at times, but when I get that taste of sweet, sweet victory, it's worth it.  :P

I know /exactly/ what you mean. Every time I've tried to buy MH from TRU they never have what I'm after. Mostly because they're stripped bare by the time I get there. Usually when I'm on the hunt I go in looking for specific dolls or ponies, now that's sort of changed. If I don't have it I'm just buying up what I can when I can, lol. Though there are always those dolls or ponies that I want the most! I think for me it is my timing.  >_< From now on I'm going to get there bright and early when they get their stock in.

And so do I. There's nothing better than the feeling of finally getting that thing you've been after for the longest time! Totally worth it indeed.  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:26:45 AM by SpookyBoo »

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 09:07:05 AM »
I know some people have found stuff at Kmart too.. the Kmarts around me are dreadful though so can't back that up lol
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
I get the newer dolls at Walmart, Toys R Us, & Target.  If you are looking for slightly older dolls, I would look at Big Lots, Walgreens, Kroger, Family Dollar, Books-A-Million, Ross, Marshalls, & TJ Maxx.  I personally have the best luck at Big Lots & Walgreens.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:23:22 AM by apanda0622 »

SpookyBoo

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:55 AM »
I know some people have found stuff at Kmart too.. the Kmarts around me are dreadful though so can't back that up lol

Oh? I don't usually go to Kmart that often so that's good to know! We have one that's /sort of/ close by so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for letting me know! :heart: I guess it really does just depends on the individual store. 

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
If you're in the Midwest, definitely check out Meijer! I've had great luck with them. I sometimes have luck with finding old stock because they're one of the last places people check for dolls. At least, in my area.
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal