collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Painting question!  (Read 349 times)

kaskurgi

• Trade Count: (0)
Painting question!
« on: January 15, 2013, 03:32:37 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has attempted to remove CA Cupids little lace printing on her legs and if so did the black remain? Don't want to debox her if it won't work. Was thinking of putting my CAM Ghost Head on her body since I am meh about her face. Thanks!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Painting question!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:14:12 AM »
I'm always working with some really strong acetone stuff and the black did come off mostly (along with the patterns).
Just like the white on Spectra's legs comes off and reveals that her entire limbs are see-through, not just part of them. The black and the pattern were just painted/printed onto entirely white limbs in my Cupid's case. But you need to apply a lot of acetone or else the legs will turn out to be grey.
If you want them pure white you will probably need to coat the grey with white paint additionally. I don't recommend toying with chemicals. I ended up cleaning her as best as I could and went for the airbrush method in the end to get them white.

I think if you use lighter stuff (like nail polish remover) or don't apply too much pressure, you should be able to keep the black if you are going for this. If a bit of it comes off, you can try to mimic the black-to-white gradient by using black pastel chalks (no oil chalks) :)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:21:04 AM by Zapper »

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:24:56 AM »
I tired this on a Cupid doll with acetone nail polish remover. It took the black off and started eating away at the plastic  :blink: I don't recommend it. If you just want to get rid of the white lace, you can always just paint black over it, which is what I had to do for Phoebe.

Offline blackestbird

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:02 AM »
Pure acetone reacts with the plastic the body/limbs are made of, melting it away. Some have had success using it by rinsing constantly in between, but it's risky to use still. If you only need to remove the lace, you might be able to do so with a nail buffer pad. If you're soft enough you might not mess up the black paint at all. I think it depends on what version of Cupid you have though. I think there was one where they reversed it: black limbs were painted instead of white limbs. I believe I saw that on tumblr though, which isn't the most reliable source of info.
sig image coming back soon, oops!
:heart: Thank you Nence for my beautiful av; pinkfrappuccino for my adorable sig :heart:
Lyrical Echo Ref  Pony Blog [under construction;relocating]  Commissions: CLOSED for the holidays

Offline Firecracker

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »
Pure acetone reacts with the plastic the body/limbs are made of, melting it away. Some have had success using it by rinsing constantly in between, but it's risky to use still. If you only need to remove the lace, you might be able to do so with a nail buffer pad. If you're soft enough you might not mess up the black paint at all. I think it depends on what version of Cupid you have though. I think there was one where they reversed it: black limbs were painted instead of white limbs. I believe I saw that on tumblr though, which isn't the most reliable source of info.
Blackestbird is right, sweet 1600 has white legs and arms painted black while signature cupid has black arms and legs with white gradient.  If you're careful, you can lightly sand off the lace or paint it over.  I've done both methods on the different versions, and I recomend painting for sweet 1600 and sanding for signature to remove the lace.

kaskurgi

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »
Thanks all. I am just going to forgo that project and end up getting a cheap Spectra LOL I don't think it's worth the hassle or headache after reading your comments :P

You guys use acetone to remove the face makeup like on MLP's correct? Because of it being a different type of plastic?

Offline DiamondDreams

• Trade Count: (+135)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 01:32:05 PM »
Thanks all. I am just going to forgo that project and end up getting a cheap Spectra LOL I don't think it's worth the hassle or headache after reading your comments :P

You guys use acetone to remove the face makeup like on MLP's correct? Because of it being a different type of plastic?

Yep, it's more of a vinyl on the face....I still rinse it after usually, but that's just me. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Meow by Jamiefof, on Flickr

kaskurgi

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »
Sounds good will be fixing my cupids lips at the very least LOL. Thanks again all now I know :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal