collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any way to fix broken elastic on pony wear?  (Read 318 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Any way to fix broken elastic on pony wear?
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »
So, my mom surprised me yesterday with a pony! G3 Winter Wishes! She's so adorable and comes with all her accessories, including her little antlers <3 Unfortunately, the elastic on the antlers snapped off pretty much the moment I took her out of her box, and unlike other pony hats, she can't really wear the antlers without some kind of elastic holding them on place. Does anyone had any ideas? My sister suggested I glue the antlers straight onto her head, or maybe onto a teeny tiny clip to clip into her hair, but I'm not sure if that will work and I'm afraid of ruining her. Any ideas?

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to fix broken elastic on pony wear?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
I did the exact same thing with Mistletoe's hat.  >_< Did they make that stuff out of cobwebs and dewdrops? But at least that's a hat.
My ideas:
-Use sticky tac (or however that's spelled) to hold the antlers on. Hey guys, does white tac leave discolorization? I know for a fact that blue and yellow tac discolors toys. Trust me.
-Scour the craft stores and sewing stores and see what kind of elastic they sell. Probably they won't have the same stuff that the antlers had, it would probably be thicker stuff for clothing. If you found something appropriate, and you don't care about the condition of the accessories, you could glue the elastic onto the antlers?  :huh: Nah, forget it, that's a terrible idea. :P
-Use a piece of string, tying each end of the string to the antler ends. This would be difficult but doable, yet the string might fall off if you handle the pony a lot.

Well, there're my ideas. Talk about a tough problem!
I'll put something here some time

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:21:43 PM »
Take the elastic to your local sewing fabric store.  Ask the person working there "Do you have this?"

I'm not really sure what kind of elastic it is since I'm not an accessories person, but I'm fairly sure someone there could point you in the right direction.

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 02:36:18 AM »
if you are after the really thin round white elastic, i think it's called hat elastic, and it's thin enough to be threaded through a needle with a fairly large eye (i had to fix butterscotch's rabbit ears :biggrin:) i got it on a reel like cotton. if you are after the clear sort of flat elastic, that should be available too, invisible elastic it may be called?

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:21:11 AM »
To be honest that plastic tape stuff is so, so bad, I'd just replace it with a matching coloured ribbon or piece of plain white elastic. No one is going to fault you on value for that, since it means the item can still be displayed on the pony. I'm wary of doing anything with my G3 ponywear bits because of the natty elastic!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »
Replace it with nice ribbon or very thin hat elastic.  Seriously, that invisible plastic tape elastic  stuff is just a roll of #@&@%.  ;D
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 11:27:41 AM »
I agree with the above - I would simply replace it with something longer lasting. Every haberdashery will carry elastic of different widths and colours if you wish to purchase a replacement. Or if you dont with to spend money, a ribbon stitched neatly to either side should work to tie them in place.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:19 AM »
Haberdashery?

That's got to be the coolest word ever!

I agree with the above - I would simply replace it with something longer lasting. Every haberdashery will carry elastic of different widths and colours if you wish to purchase a replacement. Or if you dont with to spend money, a ribbon stitched neatly to either side should work to tie them in place.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 06:28:11 AM »
i just had a look at the antlers on strawberry reef, i reckon you may have trouble getting hat elastic threaded though them - if it does have a hollow right through? it looks like it does. hat elastic is very floppy, and never does what you want it to. you may have better luck with a 1 or 2mm ribbon - a little nail polish on the tip to harden it and it should be able to be pushed through. and no matter that it's not stretchy, you can just tie it in a bow under her chin :biggrin:

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I like the idea of using ribbon MUCH better than elastic, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that myself xD The antlers do have a very teeny tiny hollow on each end, but I'm honestly not sure if the hole goes all the way through, so I may just very carefully glue the end of the ribbon to the outside of the antlers and use two pieces so I can still tie them under her chin. Thank you so much for the help!!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »
Haberdashery?

That's got to be the coolest word ever!

Lol...I swear I go to my local one sometimes just so I can say which shop I am visiting :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal