collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Saran haired Signature Ghoulia  (Read 1136 times)

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
Saran haired Signature Ghoulia
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »
I put this up in the discussion thread but it got passed so I'm going to put up a seperate post in case that helps to grab some attention.
Does anyone know anything about Signature Ghoulia and when she had saran hair? Was she made in a different country when she had saran?I have two different Signature Ghoulias, one says made in Indonesia and one says made in China.. is there a difference between the two? The one that was made in Indonesia has hair that feels different then the China one, maybe its just me though. Anyone got any info?
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Rococo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Saran haired Signature Ghoulia
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 05:36:21 PM »
I don't know if she was made in a different country (I believe all the very early MH dolls were made in China) but only the very earliest Ghoulias had saran hair. That is, the original shipment/production of signature Ghoulias.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:53:12 PM by Rococo »

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
I have a signature Ghoulia that was manufactured in Indonesia and I can confirm that mine has saran hair. I also purchased her very early in her production, within the month she was first released. 

I'm not sure there's a rule of thumb for determining which country she was manufactured in by the type of hair she has though. It would be interesting to see if there were any saran-haired Ghoulias that were made in China. Maybe others that have her can weigh in on what kind of hair their doll has and where she was made so we can get a general consensus?

I remember having a few conversations with other people who obtained theirs around the same time I did, and it seems that both versions were found in stores initially, with the saran-haired dolls disappearing from shelves shortly after her release, and signature Ghoulia only being made with kanekalon from that point on. I assume that earlier batches were made with saran, and for whatever reason, they decided to switch it before the dolls even began hitting shelves.

If she has kanekalon, it should be really light and wispy, while saran is a bit heavier and has a slicker/shinier texture. Here's some side-by-side comparison pictures by "Laila X" on flickr. In both images, the Ghoulia on the left of each photo has kanekalon hair.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laila_x/5491957131/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laila_x/5550094351/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:16:47 PM by Mandy85 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »
Wow, I didn't know there was a saran-haired version!! I didn't get sig. Ghoulia right away, so mine definitely didn't have saran hair. Boo, I'd love one with saran. That's so cool!

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
Thanks for the info Mandy!! I will take a look at mine again tomorrow and see what I can figure out. I will try to take a side by side picture too and see what you guys think.
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »
wow, that is a huge difference in shine, texture, color, and how Kanekalon doesn't have any kinks in the hair like the saran. (I'm hoping that's the right one I'm talking about)

Don't mean to hi-jack, but other than ghoulia, who else has switched from Saran to Kanekalon??
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
just by looking at the photos -- I am pretty sure mine has saran (i bought her when she first came out)

the sine and texture are different, but it almost seems like the color is different too -- like the saran is a little lighter in color

Rococo

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 10:38:43 PM »
just by looking at the photos -- I am pretty sure mine has saran (i bought her when she first came out)

the sine and texture are different, but it almost seems like the color is different too -- like the saran is a little lighter in color

Kanekalon is a lot wispier (and fly-away/staticky) than saran and for Ghoulia, the saran is a darker color than kanekalon Ghoulia's. Spectra also has kanekalon hair that feels like Ghoulia's kanekalon.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
I have two, one that for sure has kanekalon and another that I am pretty sure has saran. They were both made in Indonesia, but they have different codes printed midway up their backs. I don't know if those codes matter for anything??

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 11:12:15 AM »
wow, that is a huge difference in shine, texture, color, and how Kanekalon doesn't have any kinks in the hair like the saran. (I'm hoping that's the right one I'm talking about)

Don't mean to hi-jack, but other than ghoulia, who else has switched from Saran to Kanekalon??

Jackson. GB had saran but basic has kanekalon

and er...sorta-ish Howleen. Her basic orange/yellow 'do is saran but her DC (and going by color her 13W) has kanekalon.

I had an original saran haired Ghoulia but as much as I dislike Kanekalon, I didn't like her with saran.

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 11:28:52 AM »
I wish mine had saran! I'm not as fond of kanekalon, it's too dry and needs brushed too often. :P

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal