collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion 13  (Read 39048 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: Monster High Discussion 13
« Reply #525 on: January 15, 2013, 05:01:45 AM »
After looking at that Etsy listing for blue haired Spectra, I am left with a question. I hope I don't offend anyone by asking this, but I am only curious.

The listing stated that "Please note that even though there is a smoker in my household, the doll was kept in a room that the smoker does not have access to."

Now, do smokers really believe that this makes any difference at all in how smoke smell affects things?

I have bought from people here and on Ebay who give fair warning that an item comes from a smoking home. Some of them even put exactly that sort of disclaimer on the listing. I'm ok with that when I am alerted to it.

But sometimes I buy an item and it makes no mention of cigarette smoke, and it arrives reeking of smoke. I politely told the seller about it and suggested they could add a warning, and that person basically told me, "Oh. I keep my stuff in a separate room so the cigarette smoke doesn't get to it."

>.> That room has air. Your house has air. The air in your house moves around. Smoke goes under doors, through cracks, into walls, into the air system. Shutting a door really doesn't affect how smoky a toy gets at all.

Heck, I bought a monster high sized lounge recently from a house that has a wood burning stove. It had a very very faint smoke smell even.

So yeah.. Thats what I am curious about. For listings with disclaimers like those, why not say "comes from a smoking household"? Do they really think that keeping the toys in a different room protects them from the smoke?

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #526 on: January 15, 2013, 05:23:32 AM »
I *think* what they are trying to say is that their stuff is kept away from the person (people) smoking so in other words people aren't sitting there sucking down smokes right next to the item that's being sold. It is true that smoke does set into stuff very easily but there's a difference between something that has been sitting directly next to smoke vs something that's in another room where smoking doesn't happen. The smoke smell is MUCH stronger. I think they are prety much saying "the item has been in a household of smokers but not directly in an area that they smoke, so thought the item may not reek of smoke there may be a faint smoke smell on it." My guess is that nobody is denying the possibility of a smoke smell but rather stating that their item will probably have a faint scent rather then extremely strong. Hard to know for sure but that's just my guess. Anyone who lives in a smoking household or has been a smoker themselves can probably tell you the difference between an area where people smoke vs having a closed room where nobody smokes and the difference it has leaving a scent on an item.

I should add that I did have a friend who smoked exclusively in their room and kept the door closed at all times and the rest of the apartment didn't have the smell of smoke (really strongly) throughout it. Now of course when you don't personally smoke or are around smoke a lot you pick up on that smell much easier. But, just saying, there is a difference between a room where a smoker exclusively smokes in vs the room that is kept closed.

Now, back on topic..  how does everyone keep their clothing and accessories organized?
I have mine all in baggies in a bin but am debating seperating the clothing by characters..
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:31:35 AM by PonySeeker128 »
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #527 on: January 15, 2013, 06:14:03 AM »
My dad smokes a lot in his room, but you can't smell it anywhere else. To be honest, if I were selling something, I would just say it came from a smoke-free home... If it doesn't smell like smoke, why bother bringing up the smoker?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #528 on: January 15, 2013, 06:38:11 AM »
My point was that the items do smell like smoke. Heavy smoke. The people in the home are used to it but to a non smoker, it smells just as bad as if it had been sitting next to the smoker.

It makes sense though as was pointed out that the smokers  can smell the difference between rooms. I hadn't considered that to them, the smoke smell is so normal that it is easily dismissed, and so a separate room might actually not smell like smoke to them, when to a non smoker it smells heavy of smoke.

Thanks for providing the brain food on this topic for me :) I'm not a smoker, so I always had found it confusing since to me there was no difference.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:39:45 AM by Maniah »

Offline PonySeeker128

• View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #529 on: January 15, 2013, 06:53:03 AM »
I smoked for a little over 5 years and when I was smoking, I haven't for almost 2 years now, you can't tell how bad a smoke smell is on something because you're used to that smell. Now that I haven't been smoking I smell even the smallest trace of it instantly. To a smoker, or someone who lives with a smoker it can be hard to pick up on a light smoke smell. At least, that's just what I've noticed from being a smoker and becoming a non-smoker
Wishlist (MH)

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 15, 2013, 06:54:33 AM »
I have to agree with Maniah if someone in your house is smoking everything is going to have at least a faint smell of smoke.  If your in that situation you might not smell it because your used to it. 

Back on topic-I'm giving it another try tonight, so hopefully I find Deuce!!   

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #531 on: January 15, 2013, 07:00:15 AM »
Culling round two complete! I made a lot more difficult decisions this time. Watch for a new sales thread!

It actually felt really good to sort and trim down, I have the collection on 2 shelves now instead of like 5
Haha, I feel you there sister. I can fit everyone on the shelf above my computer now @_@

Offline ebmerc

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 15, 2013, 07:00:30 AM »
I smoked for a little over 5 years and when I was smoking, I haven't for almost 2 years now, you can't tell how bad a smoke smell is on something because you're used to that smell. Now that I haven't been smoking I smell even the smallest trace of it instantly. To a smoker, or someone who lives with a smoker it can be hard to pick up on a light smoke smell. At least, that's just what I've noticed from being a smoker and becoming a non-smoker

^This. My dad smoked for years and I had become so accustomed to the smell that I really was unaware of the odor until my allergy to it developed. Now even faintest scent of smoke sets off my nose and it is hard for me to ignore. When you're in the thick of it it's just so hard to notice but once you're away even for short amount of time the smell of smoke is just noticeable.

To be on topic, I want a sig Clawdeen so bad! It's killing me guys. I mentally kick myself for all the times I passed her by. :/

Edit: Scratch that I just got one. Oh impulse shopping.  :blush:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:42:03 AM by ebmerc »

Melissa

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #533 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:39 AM »
Another issue, re: smoking/smokers that I've encountered is: Even if an item only has trace amounts of smoke, when you put it in a bubble mailer or box to be shipped, it seems to intensify the smell. It's disgusting. And yes, if you allow smoking in the house, the entire house will smell. That's why my BFF's mom smokes in the garage.

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 15, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »
I just listed all of my dolls for sale in my sales thread...... but I live in a smoking house so I don't know if anyone wants them now.....

I put a disclaimer identical to the one Maniah questioned in my thread. To me my dolls do not smell like smoke. They are stored away from the smoking area of my house. I've sold tons of things to people on here before, without saying that people smoked in my house, and I never had any complain of any smell. I decided to put in the warning just in case someone has an allergy and is super, SUPER sensitive to it. I've lived around smokers my entire life, so I may not be able to pick pick up the smell like someone that has not.

I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I thought I was being helpful and kind..... I'm sorry.  :(

Offline PonySeeker128

• View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #535 on: January 15, 2013, 09:41:06 AM »
I just listed all of my dolls for sale in my sales thread...... but I live in a smoking house so I don't know if anyone wants them now.....

I put a disclaimer identical to the one Maniah questioned in my thread. To me my dolls do not smell like smoke. They are stored away from the smoking area of my house. I've sold tons of things to people on here before, without saying that people smoked in my house, and I never had any complain of any smell. I decided to put in the warning just in case someone has an allergy and is super, SUPER sensitive to it. I've lived around smokers my entire life, so I may not be able to pick pick up the smell like someone that has not.

I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I thought I was being helpful and kind..... I'm sorry.  :(

Personally, I wouldn't mind buying them if they've been in a seperate room. I can tell the difference in smell between something that's been in the same area where smoking has been vs being in a room where smoking doesn't happen. I think you mentioning it is a good idea and a very kind thing to do regardless of if anyones mentioned any smell before. I personally always worry about allergens with people and smoke is a big sensitivity to a lot of people. Along the lines of your dolls for sale, are they all nude?
Wishlist (MH)

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 15, 2013, 09:44:33 AM »
Our dad smokes in the living room or his room, but most of my stuff is in my room and the room to my door is also closed practically always but I guess the smoke would seep through the sides of the door. >,>; If I ever start to sell, I'll probably just label my stuff as from a house with smoke, since it can spread. (Even though they still have that new doll smell when I take them out to look at. :P)

*Goes to look at your sales thread*
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline dxgirly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 15, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't mind buying them if they've been in a seperate room. I can tell the difference in smell between something that's been in the same area where smoking has been vs being in a room where smoking doesn't happen. I think you mentioning it is a good idea and a very kind thing to do regardless of if anyones mentioned any smell before. I personally always worry about allergens with people and smoke is a big sensitivity to a lot of people. Along the lines of your dolls for sale, are they all nude?

They're all clothed but without their loose accessories.

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 15, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »
When you say Loose Accessories, do you mean just their stands, dairies, pets, and handbag, or could there be more missing accessories??

Ahh after opening Venus, I gotta have her Gffs with her! Tempted to getting a 2nd Sig Robecca and Rochelle to open! (or have opened if people are selling down the road. :P)
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline dxgirly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »
When you say Loose Accessories, do you mean just their stands, dairies, pets, and handbag, or could there be more missing accessories??

Ahh after opening Venus, I gotta have her Gffs with her! Tempted to getting a 2nd Sig Robecca and Rochelle to open! (or have opened if people are selling down the road. :P)

Just the things that come with them that aren't physically attached to the dolls. They still have bracelets, necklaces, shoes, and earrings. Some of the Ghoulias are missing their glasses, and one Operetta is missing her headpiece. Rollermaze dolls don't come with their helmets.

I actually still have the accesories, but there's a million of them, and they're all mixed together.  :lookround:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal