collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help! I have some poorly MH girls.  (Read 1792 times)

Offline cazz25

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Help! I have some poorly MH girls.
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:40:51 PM »
Well I bought this lot of 11 monster high dolls which included some accessories and most of sig operettas clothes, off  ebay for £25, and I think you will be able to guess why, Toralei.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As you can tell they all have issues. Roller maze Frankie now has her head back on and is dressed and on display she's perfect no issues.

Toralei is pretty good except she has no tail or lower arms and hands and no tail. I was thinking about painting a tail and another set of lower arms and hands for her as i'm pretty sure there are next to no spare parts for her. So this would work for her right side but her left arm was snapped off and still has a bit stuck in that won't budge, any ideas would I have to resort to superglue to stick an arm on? Also she has some marks on her face they look like felt tip or something I have tries nail varnish remover with no avail.

So for Toralei can you give me any tips on painting arms? best paint to use ect? (I've never done customs so any info appreciated)
How to attach the left arm?
And how to remove the marks on her face?

Now onto the rest. I don't know what to do with them, except venus they all have legs snapped off and they look pretty impossible to re-attach. I thinking about scalping some of them for my CAMs but that just feels wrong somehow but I don't know how else to save them. Any ideas? 

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Re: Help! I have some poorly MH girls.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
These poor gals!  :cry: I am so glad you bought them :)

Are you selling any of them? I may try to make a centaur and a conjoined twin doll at some point so I can work with major pieces missing.

Sorry, I'm no help on stain removal. Congrats on the find though! :D

Offline cazz25

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »
Thanks  :) I know, I feel so sorry for them, they have definately had some tough love and then some. Yes I would sell or trade let me know if you're interested in any xx

SajiNoKami

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
poor girls look like they were battling in a post apocalyptic world.

Maybe a very very fine dot of superglue on the tip of a pin just touching the peg, dry, then pull?
Never tried it though, so no guarantees..

good luck :D

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »
Do any of them have hands??  You can order some forearms and hands from Mattel.  Maybe other members here have hands for sale?  Poor dolls!  It's tough seeing them in that condition.

But you know what?  There are so many incredibly talented people here who can turn these sad monsters back into beautiful creatures again!  If you're up for selling, I'm certain you'll get a lot of interest...even for armless Toralei:)

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline cazz25

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »
poor girls look like they were battling in a post apocalyptic world.

Maybe a very very fine dot of superglue on the tip of a pin just touching the peg, dry, then pull?
Never tried it though, so no guarantees..

good luck :D

It really does, doesn't it. I wouldn't like to meet what they were fighting against!

I tried that but no luck it just fell off after a few minutes  :( most of the legs look like they were twisted off so the plastic is all stretched and warped, no clean breaks or that could have worked. Thanks for your suggestion though xx

Post Merge: January 07, 2013, 01:38:06 PM

Do any of them have hands??  You can order some forearms and hands from Mattel.  Maybe other members here have hands for sale?  Poor dolls!  It's tough seeing them in that condition.

But you know what?  There are so many incredibly talented people here who can turn these sad monsters back into beautiful creatures again!  If you're up for selling, I'm certain you'll get a lot of interest...even for armless Toralei:)

Yeah your right, I think I will start a sales thread tomorrow for them. I'll be keeping Toralei though, I've wanted her for a long time and now I have her, well most of her lol  :biggrin: xx
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:38:06 PM by cazz25 »

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »
I guess someone really wanted to know how all those dolls were put together?
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!

Flutterwonder13

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »
It honestly looks like someone wanted to do a "but will it blend?" experiment on these girls!  :blink:

Rococo

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »
Yiiikes, it's like a horror story with all the dismembered body parts! Hopefully you can do something to fix up those poor girls. Mattel used to carry replacements hands and arms but I recently went to their website to try to get replacement body parts for my Spectra but they appeared to be out of most things...

(Is that what the Monster High neck plugs look like?? I thought they had that translucent plastic triangle thing that used to be attached to the end of the neck. I've never actually opened up an MH doll head but I'll need to do one soon so...)

kaskurgi

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 05:36:49 PM »
You could use the nef parts to make a normal nef maybe. Keep the forearms/hands of all that are salvageable. Put them in a box for a rainy day to figure out something fun to do with them. That's what I would do :) Maybe send an e-mail letting them know a child devil tore through the dolls and you need some parts. I know the elastic band part can be fixed I've seen people talk about that.

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 06:18:10 PM »
Here are some helpful links I've collected over the years.  You never know what might happen down the road ;)  I haven't used any of these methods, so use at your own risk.  Actually, scratch that!  I don't think it can get any worse :lol:

Broken peg inside arm:
http://monsterhighmash.tumblr.com/post/22939193054/broken-joint

Stringing CAM legs onto ELASTIC style bodies:
http://cheeyuu.tumblr.com/post/20677142908/tutorial-putting-cam-parts-onto-an-old-style-elastic

Re-stringing elastic style legs back onto elastic style bodies:
http://monsterhighcatzi.blogspot.com/2010/09/defect-legs-fix.html

As I'm sure you are aware, it's gonna take quite alot of work to "fix" the dolls with torn off legs, and missing neck joints.  Those would probably be best sold off as baits.  Good luck!  Make sure you show her off when she's complete:)

Oh!  I suggest you buy a Nocturnal CAM Add-On pack and use the neon orange arms to replace Toralei's, that way when/if you paint them orange, and the joints start to show (which they will) it'll be orange showing through, and not blue or purple or some other miss match color!
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline cazz25

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 12:16:55 AM »

(Is that what the Monster High neck plugs look like?? I thought they had that translucent plastic triangle thing that used to be attached to the end of the neck. I've never actually opened up an MH doll head but I'll need to do one soon so...)

They do have the plastic triangle thing that is attached to the neck but they had been snapped off the headless ones!

Post Merge: January 08, 2013, 12:19:36 AM

You could use the nef parts to make a normal nef maybe. Keep the forearms/hands of all that are salvageable. Put them in a box for a rainy day to figure out something fun to do with them. That's what I would do :) Maybe send an e-mail letting them know a child devil tore through the dolls and you need some parts. I know the elastic band part can be fixed I've seen people talk about that.

Unfortunately the only ones with the elastic band parts is lagoonas legs and I don't have her body lol.

Post Merge: January 08, 2013, 12:44:20 AM

Oh!  I suggest you buy a Nocturnal CAM Add-On pack and use the neon orange arms to replace Toralei's, that way when/if you paint them orange, and the joints start to show (which they will) it'll be orange showing through, and not blue or purple or some other miss match color!

Thanks for the links I'll definitely have a read of them. The nocturnal cam would be the best the only problem is the cams appear to have a slightly bigger pin so it doesn't fit flush to the arm but maybe I could shave it down a bit.

Would acrylic paint be best to use?

Thanks everyone for the help  :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:46:48 AM by cazz25 »

kaskurgi

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 01:36:55 AM »
Can you show me the inside of the broken Nef leg? If that's possible the peg looks like it's fine is it the piece broken off on the inside? Whoops let me clarify the Nef on the right. I still think you can maybe piece together a full nef :P Course I am not there...but I do love jigsaw puzzles and fixing things lol.

https://store.mattel.com/Results.aspx?Ntt=Monster%20High&tc=Parts

I know you are in the UK but maybe someone can order some spare parts for you or you can check for replacement parts via Mattel in your neck of the world.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:43:46 AM by kaskurgi »

Offline cazz25

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 02:40:56 AM »
Here's a pic of Neferas leg

You did mean this one didn't you?

I think I might give Mattel UK a call see if they can help me with spare parts xx

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 02:44:33 AM »
The broken arm-peg is a true hassle!! I had a Spectra that was this way and searched high and low, found tutorials, tried to drill it open, arm cracked.. had to put it back together.. AGH, a pain! :C

What worked for me: I used a small piece of rather thick (about 1.5mm in diameter) wire. Put it over a candle flame to heat it up and then melted it into the hole/broken peg in the upper arm and into the spinning disk on the lower arm. Basically replacing the original peg that way. The arm still moves normally and it's pretty sturdy because it melted into the plastic. :)
I only had to clean up a bit of grime from heating it up over a candle flame. :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal