collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Damaged pony help  (Read 644 times)

Offline PWN-E

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Damaged pony help
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »
I really can't catch a break with these ebay sellers.

I bought a TAF YumYum from this one guy on ebay. She had a little tail rust but it looked like a simple fix. Not only did it take forever for her to be shipped, but the condition she got here is dreadful.

Her back DS leg was bent out of place when I got her and her body is very soft. The inside of her smells kind of smokey and she was pretty grimey on the outside. I cna push down on her back an it gives a lot more than it should. I've got some paper towels between her legs so they go back to their normal positions and I'm getting ready to pull off her head.

1. What is wrong with her?
2. Is there anything I can do?

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
Re: Damaged pony help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
If you can't get a refund for some reason, I'd leave negative feedback.

Ayalah

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »
I would absolutely ask for a refund. And I would note it over in Trader Support. As for what is wrong with her...I'm not sure. It sounds like she got super heated but I don't see how that's possible during shipping. What kind of shape was the box in?

Offline PWN-E

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »
I would absolutely ask for a refund. And I would note it over in Trader Support. As for what is wrong with her...I'm not sure. It sounds like she got super heated but I don't see how that's possible during shipping. What kind of shape was the box in?
It wasn't even a box. It was one of those envelopes, which I really hate because they aren't very good if the object isn't flat.

As much as I love her, I might have to send her back. She's got this odd stickiness which I'm going to blame on tar buildup. And I really find it unfair I paid the price of one that was in better shape.

Edit: No returns, never mind on that. But awaiting a reply about my refund.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:03:22 PM by PWN-E »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:00:53 PM »
First - if you are unsure of how to deal with it as a transaction I would suggest you post over in trader support. As your first concern is whether you are going to keep the pony - some ebay sellers will not offer you a refund unless you return the pony so you would be best not trying to do anything with her in case that is what your seller requests.

If you do decide to keep her then in that condition my first suggestion would be to remove her head to see what is going on inside of her. I would think it sounds as though there is certainly something. If there is rust or mould or similar then clean her completely - denture cleanser tablets, quartered and shoved into each leg, add warm water and allow her to soak. Then an internal scrub with soap or toothpaste in order to clear the last of it out. Repeat as often as required.

As for the leg - once you have her clean. Fill her with very warm water leave her to stand - this will help her leg reform to the right position. Once you have done this for a while empty her out, use tissues/kitchen towels and soft curlers or rollers to separate her legs so they are in the right position. Heat her up with a hair dryer on her leg and then pop her in the freezer for a while. That should get her back to normal - plastic has memory and would prefer to be in its original moulded position.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
Sorry to hear about your Yum Yum! :hug:  I hope you're able to get a refund on her.  (And is there a way to know the seller?  With what you've described, I wouldn't want to risk buying ponies from them...)

Please keep us posted on how things develop.  And best of luck to either sort out what's going on with Yum Yum, or to get your cash back!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Ayalah

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »
The stickiness could also be from breakdown of the plastic. I know there's a collector term for this but it eludes me at the moment. Might also explain the leg. In that case I don't believe there is any help. Let us know what happens!

Ianthe99

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 07:09:35 AM »
 Ack! Sorry you are unhappy!
The leg issue is pretty common, especially on some poses. Like others have said, hot water and something to push the leg back into the right shape should work. Try washing the pony with dish soap. That might help remove the stickiness. It could be plasticizer leaking. Some of these old ponies just get sticky.
If you don't like ponies being sent in padded envelopes, you might want to state that when you buy them. I always send ponies in padded envelopes, and most of the ones I have gotten come that way too.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:33:15 AM »
Oh no. Sorry to hear you're having such trouble. It sounds like leaking plasticizer to me which is a long drawn out process until it is all gone and becomes rock hard. And it also sounds like she was from a smoking home. You can get the rust off her tail with toothpaste and an old toothbrush to scrub it. As for the plastic, I've heard that soaking the ponies in rubbing alcohol helps but I haven't tried it yet. I don't know what it does to the hair, especially red hair which can stain a pony if something goes wrong. Other than that you can just wash her out with dish soap often to keep the stickiness to a minimal.

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »
Sounds like you can get her cleaned up with a little work, but did you pay an amount that reflected a nicer condition pony?  If so, I'd see what the seller can do as a refund or return.  I've had ebay sellers who didn't misrepresent a pony on purpose but missed an obvious flaw (obvious to a collector that is) and I politely mentioned it and she gave me a partial refund.  So it worked out for everyone.  However, if you got a really good deal on her I'd clean her up, and add her to your collection.  Especially is her hair is still pink  :biggrin:

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 08:14:51 AM »
Oh no. Sorry to hear you're having such trouble. It sounds like leaking plasticizer to me which is a long drawn out process until it is all gone and becomes rock hard. And it also sounds like she was from a smoking home. You can get the rust off her tail with toothpaste and an old toothbrush to scrub it. As for the plastic, I've heard that soaking the ponies in rubbing alcohol helps but I haven't tried it yet. I don't know what it does to the hair, especially red hair which can stain a pony if something goes wrong. Other than that you can just wash her out with dish soap often to keep the stickiness to a minimal.

Oh so THAT'S why some of my ponies are rock solid? I've had a slew of TE ponies who you could use to hammer nails into walls and probably only damage the nail.

Very sorry to hear about the YumYum, she does sound awful. I've had similar recently and a load of ponies I bought for myself/the winter swap arrived smoky. I didn't get a refund on them so they're being treated to what hathorcat mentioned as a cleaning method. Fizzing!

Offline PWN-E

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »
Okay, so an update on this pony.

The good news is that her stickiness was just apparently her being really filthy. Her hair isn't nasty anymore and it's all soft and straight now.

Still no word from seller on my refund, but I doubt they'll take her back. I'm holding off on opening her up until they say something to me. She's got some rattling going on in there and my flashlight tells me that she's got something in on of her legs.

Does anyone have pics of a pony in Surprise's pose from the top, bottom, and both sides? If I get to re positioning her legs and that odd spot on her back, I want to be as close as possible and get the spacing right.

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
I see what you mean about the wonky legs... If she's got an object in a leg it's most likely her tail washer, so her tail may have been pulled out at some point and popped back in again, without removing her head!

It's amazing what gunk a) sticks to ponies and b) comes off with soap, swearing and a toothbrush.

I will try and get some shots of the Shy-Pegasus ponies I've got, My Little Wiki or the Nirvana gallery may be of use to you as people do 360 degree shots of their variants.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal