collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I'm kind of curious- What do you guys like about MIBs?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I'm kind of curious- What do you guys like about MIBs?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »
There are some things that I love to keep MIB, just because I feel nostalgic looking at them in their boxes, but others I debox instantly. Newer toys/ponies are de-boxed, and anything older stays mint. I will keep doubles MIB as well, because I don't see the point of opening a second one. :P

I like to buy old Pokemon Tomy/Hasbro figures and keep them mint in box, because I go crazy for those old Pokemon boxes.

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »
melipuffles, my reasoning is the opposite- I keep the ones I buy in their boxes, because when G3 was released I opened all of them. They are fun to play with, and I love it, but then I started to find them second-hand. I worry about what happens to a pony if I leave it at a yard sale, (visions of dumpsters!) so I buy them if they are reasonable. Now I have lots of opened Pinkie Pies but no MIB ones. So I figure I can always open her later, but I can't really shove her back into the box and pretend nothing ever happened. That's why I am keeping my MIB's in their boxes. I'm not really an accessory person, though I do love them, so that part isn't important to me.
This is a fun question- it's neat to see everyone's different collecting preferences!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »
I drive my friend bonkers because I love to keep mine MIB. I just love the looks of them on their boxes. Also most of mine are in storage bins in the basement because I'm currently waiting on a house purchase to go through, this just keeps them from becoming a frizzy mess in the box. 

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:30 AM »
I'm very protective over my property. I just have things get lost or destroyed a lot. I feel that my ponies are safer encased in plastic than when they're out in the open. I also love the backcard art and the stories.

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 02:44:43 AM »
sometimes you just run out of space, my latest additions are staying MIB ,finding it kinda cool  to have them in their box and on the wall !:)

I do this with some variants. If I have a lot of the the same pony, no point in taking it out of the box to play with when I can keep it in good condition for display.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Binny

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 05:34:46 AM »
I've always been torn on this. I personally prefer them loose for display; being able to brush their hair and hold them is part of what I like, but if it's a first or second gen, I'd feel too guilty to take it out since it's something rare and special, and deboxing it would mean one less in the world. In the case of very old ponies I can definitely see the appeal. Rarity + gorgeous box art.

If I'm ever lucky enough to get a FS :muffin: Pony, she'd probably be my exception for the 4th gen (plus, I just love her box art)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 08:14:51 AM »
It's all been said... If I could have them all mib/moc/mip I would be the gnp of China in debt but it would be worth it. I love the artwork and when I see them in box they're new all the time...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »
For me, they are the only ponies who are truly complete. When you buy a pony, you buy the packaging as well. Of course, there is the protection factor, and all the other things that others have said.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »
For me, they are the only ponies who are truly complete. When you buy a pony, you buy the packaging as well. Of course, there is the protection factor, and all the other things that others have said.
  I like your statement :)
I do always make use of the art inside and/or the photo/art on the back :)
covered this furniture with all of them :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »
I love the original artwork on the earlier mocs, as well as minty ponies with all their accessories.

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »
I don't collect them, though i have a couple of common ones because of circumstance which one day I may pass on.

For example I bought a lot of ponies last year and in it was a chocolate Easter egg with Toola Roola (bunny ears one) boxed and a Bumble...Bumblething....Bumblesweet!

Now the lot also came with a loose counterpart, but I wouldn't have opened them even if they weren't there because someone else took the time to save them like this, and I appreciate that and don't want to ruin what someone else stared. Weird perhaps but hey.... if someone can avoid eating a chocolate egg, i should avoid opening it too :biggrin:

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
I love G1 and G2 MIB. The other gens have ugly backcards so I open them all up.

It's all about the art on the box for me.

This! I adore the art work on the G1 boxes :) I don't even save the backcards of the G3s and G4s. I do have about half my G3 collection MIB though. It keeps them safe from dust and dirt! Some look cute in their box too and it displays their accessories well :)
My Wish List

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »
I love the way they look in their original packaging.  Box art is very important to me. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

seaemilyplay

Re: I\'m kind of curious- What do you guys like about MIBs?
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 11:10:53 AM »
For me, they bring back a flood of memorie from my childhood. That is exactly how they looked on the shelves and I love the beautiful (so 80's!) pastel watercolor artwork and little stories about the ponies on the boxes. That being said, I don't own any MIB. Waaay too pricey for me!

Post Merge: January 20, 2013, 11:11:51 AM

Of course, I was referring to g1!

Offline Dawn

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 01:37:28 AM »
I love G1 and G2 MIB. The other gens have ugly backcards so I open them all up.

It's all about the art on the box for me.
Exactly, if I were to buy a MIB pony, it would only be from the first two generations. The others started using ugly colours like magenta and dark purple, and the same boring vector art just pasted onto the sides of the box like a cheap ad. I also think it's nice to have different shapes and textures of surfaces as part of a collection, like, it builds up a little landscape of pastel-goodness on the shelves... uh, I think what I'm trying to say is that they display well x)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal