collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hard Plastic Discoloration on Old Jem Dolls?  (Read 1429 times)

Lon-san

• Trade Count: (0)
Hard Plastic Discoloration on Old Jem Dolls?
« on: December 30, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »
I packed some of my dolls away for a while. I opened them up, took a look, and two (Synergy and a Rock n Curl Jem) have discolored patches on their upper chests! Same place, hard plastic not vinyl and I have no idea what could have caused it! Yellow for the Jem  and brown for Synergy. There was a Pizazz in there with them but her hair wasn't touching them BOTH!

What??  :shocked: Has this happened to others?

Offline daydreamwinn

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Plastic Discoloration on Old Jem Dolls?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 05:39:30 PM »
Is it just discoloration or does it look like a melt mark?  I know some of the hard plastic parts of dolls from the 1970s and 1980s are known to melt when they come in contact with other plastics, sometimes even the joints they're attached to.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:28:42 PM »
A lot of plastics also start to break down over time, like in ponies.  They made toys cheap by mixing together a lot of materials that don't stay mixed well over time.

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
I've noticed that with my Maxie doll!  It's right on her chest, above her ummm boobs.  Same?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
I think sometimes it's caused by UV lighting if it's just certain parts that weren't covered by clothing.  Otherwise it's just the plastic aging.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Lon-san

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:43:44 PM »
Is it just discoloration or does it look like a melt mark?  I know some of the hard plastic parts of dolls from the 1970s and 1980s are known to melt when they come in contact with other plastics, sometimes even the joints they're attached to.

Nope! They aren't melt marks. No change in texture, just the color. I have some Sunshine Family dolls so I know well what melt marks and melting joints are like @_@

A lot of plastics also start to break down over time, like in ponies.  They made toys cheap by mixing together a lot of materials that don't stay mixed well over time.
Bleh. Yeah. The Synergy already is already splotchy in her limbs because of that. BAD! Bad toy company! NO!

I've noticed that with my Maxie doll!  It's right on her chest, above her ummm boobs.  Same?
Aw man! Maxie too?? Mine are okay so far.....

I think sometimes it's caused by UV lighting if it's just certain parts that weren't covered by clothing.  Otherwise it's just the plastic aging.
They weren't really in the sun with me before being packed away. Can the damage become apparent later, I wonder? It's just anoying that it would happen to two I wanted to SELL -_- The value took a major nose dive.

(Have a complained about this before? I noticed it a few months ago but I'm tryingt to get more serious about selling things and wasn't sure if I had asked...)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal