collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to make a posable doll!  (Read 739 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
How to make a posable doll!
« on: December 26, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
Well i've been thinking, There are monster high dolls and bjd's and what not, but how can I make my own WITHOUT the strings? Has anyone ever disected the posable barbies or mh's gals to find out how it all works? I want to make an articulate Tiger to a doll to match.

Has anyone ever attempted this?

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a posable doll!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 08:18:55 PM »
MH dolls are peg and hinge jointed with an elastic in the thighs, and the Barbie's with the bendy bodies have a wire frame on the inside. (These I don't care for since the wire can deform, and the material breaks down over time) There are also Barbie's that are like the MH's that have the hinge joints and torso elastic. You can also get plastic "skeleton" pieces that are used mostly in posable plushies.

This is one of my favorite doll making books. It has a ton of ideas in it. It's for art dolls and not commercial dolls, tho.

http://www.amazon.ca/Anatomy-Doll-Fabric-Sculptors-Handbook/dp/157120024X

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:26:51 AM »
MH dolls are peg and hinge jointed with an elastic in the thighs, and the Barbie's with the bendy bodies have a wire frame on the inside. (These I don't care for since the wire can deform, and the material breaks down over time) There are also Barbie's that are like the MH's that have the hinge joints and torso elastic. You can also get plastic "skeleton" pieces that are used mostly in posable plushies.

This is one of my favorite doll making books. It has a ton of ideas in it. It's for art dolls and not commercial dolls, tho.

http://www.amazon.ca/Anatomy-Doll-Fabric-Sculptors-Handbook/dp/157120024X

Well I don't mind art, I just want to make something for myself. Since everything I want... Doesn't seem to exist or is out of my price range LOL!

I agree with wire things, I'm worried about deformity over time and gravity taking it's toll or just, age getting the better of it. I do like the idea of the hinge/peg joints. Although I notice alot of the monster high dolls don't have the elastic legs anymore! Does the book have anything about the pegs and hinges?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:31:24 AM by bagheera86 »

Pickenprod

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 03:25:38 AM »

Ooh! Not to hijack the thread, but do you know where I could find those plastic bits for plushies? I've been wondering about those forever.

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
The book has different jointing ideas. I think with the peg and hinge it's mostly done with wood, tho? I'll have to find my book and check.

Picken -- http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/556688283/High_quality_small_Plastic_Skeletons_for.html

This is what they are. I know Parabox had some on their website, but I couldn't find them again... And I'm too lazy to google for more specifics. You should be able to find them on sites that sell teddy bear making supplies.  XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal